2016 rear brakes worn out

Sec126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
hey everyone, been lurking around for a while, decided to join to see if anybody else has had similar issues.

Car is a 2016 civic sedan touring, at around 10,000 km I noticed the rear brakes dragging in the morning, brought it to a dealer for its first oil change and had them inspect the brakes, they advised me the brakes where "normal" thought it was weird but this being my first Honda maybe they are different. Car had oil changes done at dealers at 30k and 41k and most recent at 53k. I mentioned to this dealer about the rear brakes dragging cause i don't think its normal. Service advisor called me said item 9 is on and before tech would inspect brakes he would blame problem on service not being done, This is the first time someone advised me that a item 9 service was required. to be honest I didn't read the owners manual. The rear brakes pads and rotors are finished and need to be replaced, Honda wont cover it under warranty (paid for extended that covers everything) because I didn't do a 9 service before, they have yet been able to prove that the light came on through the maintenance minder service, had it scanned 3 times, item 9 is on but the mileage is still counting down until it is required again.

Front brakes are well within specifications and have no issues even though the item 9 maintenance was not done. Dealer advised me to talk to Honda Canada, Honda Canada says not covered and to talk to dealer.
I have requested it to be escalated at Honda Canada as per dealer, feels like they are playing games, its been almost a month since this first started.

Honda Canada says owner is responsible for telling Honda what needs to be done on cars, I said yeah maintenance light came on oil change is at 15 % i bring car in, if other lights/numbers are on you would think the service advisor/service tech would mention something, its paying jobs for them and its the best interest of the consumer.

sorry for the long post, hope someone can shed some light on this, having a hard time justifying a $1200.00 rear brake job on this car.

Wow this is the exact same story as my own! I have 42k Km on my 2016 LX and the rear rotors are wrote off. the fronts look perfect. The "stealer-ship" also gave me the same run around about not having come in for the B service. Anyhow I'm very disappointed as this is my first brand new civic and feel that I got the run around. I'm looking for rotors now because the dealership here doesn't have any and the parts are on back order with no know delivery date. I assume they are selling a lot of them as this seems to be a somewhat common problem.

Anyone know a good place to get them in Canada?

ps. heads up I ordered this POWER STOP KOE7366 from Amazon, the rotors are not even close to fitting my car.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 rear brakes worn out rotor pic

Last edited:

hawkman199

First you get smooth, fast comes all by itself.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 S2000 (sold), 2018 Civic Si, 2021 Type R (pending)
Country flag
Wow this is the exact same story as my own! I have 42k Km on my 2016 LX and the rear rotors are wrote off. the fronts look perfect. The "stealer-ship" also gave me the same run around about not having come in for the B service. Anyhow I'm very disappointed as this is my first brand new civic and feel that I got the run around. I'm looking for rotors now because the dealership here doesn't have any and the parts are on back order with no know delivery date. I assume they are selling a lot of them as this seems to be a somewhat common problem.

Anyone know a good place to get them in Canada?

ps. heads up I ordered this POWER STOP KOE7366 from Amazon, the rotors are not even close to fitting my car.

rotor pic.png
I got mine from The Wrench Monkey - Raybestos Part # 982073 - $28.12 each. With HST and shipping $74.78. They fit perfectly.

hawkman199

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Seems to be a common issue for that year and model. I suspect they got a bad batch of rotors from their OEM supplier. Also, the rear brake design is stone-age. Usually, there's a stainless steel part which the pad slides on, just like the front brakes. The rears do not have that slider, so once the brake pad grease is gone the pads rust and stick to the caliper and everything seizes up.
The best fix is to take the pads out and grease them every year.
I went with OEM pads, as after-market ones do not seem to be available.

pldelisle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Coupe LX
Hi all.
I’m currently at the dealer.
My 2016 LX Coupe has 32 000 km. Rear rotors and brakes are completely worn out (was practically on bare metal).
Front are absolutely normal.
Is that normal? I mean, I loan a car for 15 000 km a year to not to have such maintenance and only after 32K km the REAR brakes are to change? I’m mad right now.

hawkman199

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hi all.
My 2016 LX Coupe has 32 000 km. Rear rotors and brakes are completely worn out (was practically on bare metal).
Is that normal? I mean, I loan a car for 15 000 km a year to not to have such maintenance and only after 32K km the REAR brakes are to change? I’m mad right now.
Sorry to hear. I did the rears myself, just before I traded it in for a 2018 Civis Si. I suspect the Si, will have the same issue, so I'll be servicing the calipers before the winter tires go on.

Sec126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
Hi all.
That's the same thing that happened to me at around the same time. I was also pretty mad about it. And the fact that since I didn't take my car in for their "brake service"I voided that part of my warranty. So I replaced them myself with some help from hawkman and it ended up costing less than if I had gotten the brake service job at my dealership. Not happy about them wearing out that fast. The fronts are still in perfect shape.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
That's the same thing that happened to me at around the same time. I was also pretty mad about it. And the fact that since I didn't take my car in for their "brake service"I voided that part of my warranty. So I replaced them myself with some help from hawkman and it ended up costing less than if I had gotten the brake service job at my dealership. Not happy about them wearing out that fast. The fronts are still in perfect shape.

Same to my wife 2016 Civic, very cheap

And look not better on my 2018 Civic

Eric29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
The same thing happened on my 2016 civic EX. 30,000 miles. Front pads fine. Back rotors deeply scored and are delaminating. I changed the rotors, and I screwed in the back calipers in all the way, but neither caliper will go in enough to allow me to put on new pads. I have to reuse the older ones. Emergency brake is off and brake hold is not on.

Has anyone else had this problem? I know there is a TSB about the emergency brake system and I’m wondering if updating the software will solve this problem.

Last edited:

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
The same thing happened on my 2016 civic EX. 30,000 miles. Front pads fine. Back rotors deeply scored and are delaminating. I changed the rotors, and I screwed in the back calipers in all the way, but neither caliper will go in enough to allow me to put on new pads. I have to reuse the older ones. Emergency brake is off and brake hold is not on.

Has anyone else had this problem? I know there is a TSB about the emergency brake system and I’m wondering if updating the software will solve this problem.
Look in post 31, I published the procedures for rear brakes pads replacement, it could solve your problem.

Eric29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Thanks. I saw that and I appreciate it. The manual I’m using suggested that the brake retracted automatically. I’m not sure how to remove the actuator. I’m jacking the car up again now.

Look in post 31, I published the procedures for rear brakes pads replacement, it could solve your problem.

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Thanks. I saw that and I appreciate it. The manual I’m using suggested that the brake retracted automatically. I’m not sure how to remove the actuator. I’m jacking the car up again now.
You can try to turn it clockwise manually with the proper tool. Last time I did it manually.

Eric29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
By the way, do you know the torque spec for the rear caliper bracket? I removed it to change the rotor. I torqued it to 54 ft lbs. which was the setting for my 2006 civic.

Eric29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
I turned the caliper face clockwise. It just doesn’t go in enough. Maybe if I do something with the actuator that will solve the problem.

You can try to turn it clockwise manually with the proper tool. Last time I did it manually.
Sponsored