2016 owners : Do you have any noticeable wear and tear ?

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Now that the 2016 model year cars have been on the road for almost half a decade, we can see if there are any deficiencies in the platform.
So from the long term owners, have you noticed....

1. Any rust or corrosion appearing? Bubbling under panels or wheel arches? (Aimed at Canadians + rust belt Americans)
2. Interior buttons loosening up, or excessive wear on certain touch surfaces?
3. General comments and concerns (creaks, rattles,etc)
4. Powertrain feeling tired or worn?
Sponsored

brienp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2016 Coupe Touring here. I'm at 36,000 miles apprx. I haven't noticed any wear/tear other than rock chips in the insanely thin paint job on the hood. The doors still seal well as does the sunroof. No mechanical issues, yet, thankfully. Although I should say that I take meticulous care of my cars and other than the few minor rock chips, the car could easily pass as "excellent condition" for KBB/Edmonds. Maintenance has been done at its stated intervals without a single miss by Honda. I don't drive hard or pound the accelerator. On the freeways commuting, I typically engage the eco drive, hang out in the middle lane and turn on the AI and let it drive me to work.

About the only "aftermarket" thing I've done to the car is tinting and had a ceramic coating applied and then I installed multiple, think I'm up to 14 layers now, of Liquid Glass from MPT Industries (to stop the rock chips) over the ceramic coating.

16LXMT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6MT
Country flag
I've had mine for just under 6 weeks. Did oil change for first time a couple weeks ago, welds on front crossmember are embarassing. They weld the absolute bare minimum and barely passes a quality check. I'm a welder by trade if I made these welds by hand I would grind them out and re weld. Car has more rust underneath than I am comfortable with on a 4 year old car. Strut towers rusting up top. Door locks / key fob choose to randomly act up and can't consistently demonstrate the issue.

Some quality issues I am surprised at given Hondas quality and reliability reputation I am somewhat questioning this purchase. Runs good so far but there are some red flags for me.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Had the 16 ext for 4 years and tuned. Rattling was mainly the problem and driver side ac took longer to blow cold air.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Mine is a 2017 built in Oct 2016. At 53K miles, the only complaint i have is the door panel rattle i got when i play music with heavy bass.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
2016 LX ; rust on rear disks break ; I put new set.
Lots of rust was there since the first day.

Nothing else.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
2017 EX-L sedan built in 2016. Only two annoying long term issues have reared their ugly head...

Rattles and worst of all, paint chips everywhere.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
I've had mine for just under 6 weeks. Did oil change for first time a couple weeks ago, welds on front crossmember are embarassing. They weld the absolute bare minimum and barely passes a quality check. I'm a welder by trade if I made these welds by hand I would grind them out and re weld. Car has more rust underneath than I am comfortable with on a 4 year old car. Strut towers rusting up top. Door locks / key fob choose to randomly act up and can't consistently demonstrate the issue.

Some quality issues I am surprised at given Hondas quality and reliability reputation I am somewhat questioning this purchase. Runs good so far but there are some red flags for me.
If you live where they salt the roads in the winter, 4 years is easily long enough for it to show rust underneath. After just 1 winter it'll show on any car, ask a mechanic. Get it sprayed with rust check, krown, corrosion free or something of that nature and it'll last forever. Personally I like rust check, because they use the more durable gel like product for the undercarriage and the thin stuff everywhere else. For the key fob, trying replacing the battery.

16LXMT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6MT
Country flag
If you live where they salt the roads in the winter, 4 years is easily long enough for it to show rust underneath. After just 1 winter it'll show on any car, ask a mechanic. Get it sprayed with rust check, krown, corrosion free or something of that nature and it'll last forever. Personally I like rust check, because they use the more durable gel like product for the undercarriage and the thin stuff everywhere else. For the key fob, trying replacing the battery.
This is far from my first car. Most other cars don't have rust on the shock towers that early. Welds with porisity are unacceptable and have nothing to do with rust, other than it will cause rust faster.

I had it coated with a lifetime undercoat after I removed all the rust and hit it with some spray. Should be fine now but we shouldn't have to put work into a frame or subframe from the factory.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
I had it coated with a lifetime undercoat after I removed all the rust and hit it with some spray. Should be fine now but we shouldn't have to put work into a frame or subframe from the factory.
I wouldn't trust those lifetime undercoats. They'll rot and crack over time which will promote rust. They also do not cover near as much as a rust check coating would.

Last edited:

16LXMT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6MT
Country flag
I wouldn't trust those lifetime undercoats. They'll rot and crack over time which will promote rust. They also do not cover near as much as a rust check coating would.
Either way, choice of undercoat or not has nothing to do with poor welds and failing to prevent obvious rust areas. It's not a huge deal just a disappointing find on a highly regarded car. As long as I get a lot of trouble free KMs I can deal with crappy suspension and brakes they're easy to change.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine is perfect after 4 years but i only drove 41000 km. Only oil changes so far

Maxara Faxa

First Name
Maxara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I have a 2016 with 62k miles and I'm an uber driver in NYC. I literally drive every day in every weather condition. And so far..

i had a transmission oil pan leak (fixed by dealer; said it came undone from too much nyc potholes)

Replaced both CV Joints under warranty. (I think i messed up my CV joints from doing a strong reverse 180 in the car. The cars sensors flipped out before rebooting, but then a week later I noticed a clicking sound when turning.... Update: after a year of the new joints I can hear the left one starting to give a little. I didn't do any 180's this time lol )

Replaced a strut (again from nyc potholes)

Rodent damage chewed wire (I fixed it myself easily)

Replaced windsheild wipers (stock wipers suck!)

The interior chrome trim paint around the air vents and around the shift knob; its starting to rub off and show the gray plastic underneath. (To be honest; I think the gray plastic looks cooler)

The Eco button feels a little harder to press. I think crumbs got in and underneath the button.

The leather looking soft plastic next to the driver side window is starting to peel a bit. I think its from resting my hand there while the windows are down. I stopped the peeling from spreading by just using leather conditioner.

And just scratches and very small dents here and there... the car still looks super crisp after a car wash. And people are surprised its a 2016.

Ima just keep driving this car till the wheels fall off.. so i guess ill keep updating this list lol

M16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex
Country flag
2016 ex 124k kilometers
2 front wheel bearings
Rear brakes
Rear shocks
Small paint chip on hood
Rear calipers are the only thing with the most rust
Live in canada and they use salt all winter, but I do wash it often
The audio unit especially in winter sometimes beeps like crazy and has phantom touches.

The only other annoying thing is in hot weather the roof of the car makes a cracking noise from the metal contraction and expansion

Habanero

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX. 2012 G25
Country flag
5 years old and 50k miles. I can only assume the previous owner had it outside because of the state of the plastic on the outer b pillar as well as the rubber window trim. I tried using a plastic restoration product but it didn’t work- even made it worse so now I installed thick piano black trim pieces hopefully they will hold up. need to also replace the wipers- but that’s it.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 owners : Do you have any noticeable wear and tear ? A46D04B3-D4E9-4715-9923-0F98D05B01EE
Sponsored