2016 Mazda 6 Grand Touring

raven1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Passat
I've also looked at both these cars recently and test drove both. I really liked the Mazda 6 a lot. And same goes for the Civic. For me, the main thing is that as mentioned above the Civic seems to have just about as much space inside and yet is a much more maneuverable car, getting in and out of parking spaces, parallel parking, fitting into my garage with room to spare etc, that is making me leans towards the Civic. If the infotainment on the Civic were more user friendly like the Mazda's, I'd already be a Civic owner; that's the only thing holding me back at the moment.
Sponsored

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
I've also looked at both these cars recently and test drove both. I really liked the Mazda 6 a lot. And same goes for the Civic. For me, the main thing is that as mentioned above the Civic seems to have just about as much space inside and yet is a much more maneuverable car, getting in and out of parking spaces, parallel parking, fitting into my garage with room to spare etc, that is making me leans towards the Civic. If the infotainment on the Civic were more user friendly like the Mazda's, I'd already be a Civic owner; that's the only thing holding me back at the moment.
Civic has Apple CarPlay/AndroidAuto, but the Mazda 3 and 6 don't iirc. Seems like that's an advantage for the Civic? I haven't used AndroidAuto yet, but although it's a little more complex I assume that once you get used to it it's better...?

Last edited:

MRsm1th

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 civic ex 2012 Crc exl
That Mazda 6 appears to be a great price. What is the MSRP? But their is a car you should think about that is better than the 2016 Touring Hands down . We are getting closer and closer to the 2017 Civic release every day. The 2017 will hold its value a little longer. Expect a lot of bugs to be worked out such as Surging issues info issues and maybe even a center exhaust. In the coupe version the 450 Watt stereo is in the lower trim models and this may be the case with 2017. The 2017 Si might be coming this fall also a option. Then your going to have a hatch back version this calendar year. The 2016 Civic is a awesome car no doubt but expect the 2017 to be a step above. Their is also still no Honda deals for financing a civic yet those could come any day. Just my thoughts good luck.

astein244@

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic LX Manual,1995 Civic Del Sol SI 278k,1995 BMW M3 5 speed (rip),1992 SC300 5 speedl(rip),2005 Is300 5 speed(rip)
Resale Value makes the decision.....whats the mazda cost new ($30,195 minimum msrp)...and it dropped to Civic pricing in under a year $5k drop in under a year. Used Tourings are selling at auction from 24-27k

Now if you keep your vehicles for 10+ years this isn't an issue. Unless youre like me and could never support a company whos products devalue worse that section 8 Housing (mazda, vw, and Nissan)

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm biased because I also own an Aegean Blue Touring and absolutely LOVE that color - it's very unique and stands out without being gaudy.

I love the designs of both cars (the 6 edges out a bit ahead, for me). But while I will take a black interior almost any time, the black on black in the Mazda was too much for me. The Civic breaks it up with accents and slightly different colored materials, but my friend's 2015 Mazda6 is just dismally dark. I love how it looks with the white seats, but I always worry about denim rubbing its color off on the seats - that'd be darn near impossible to remove. Not a deal breaker, but it's something to consider given you're going to spend so much time in it. I also felt the materials were slightly cheaper than the Touring, but they felt solid. Infotainment, as I said before, goes to the Mazda- the screen looks great even though its a bit smaller - the fact that it's eye level is a huge win, as are the physical controls below the shifter (knobs/buttons/etc.). The minimalism Honda went for with our touch screen is admirable in its creativity, but I find it very, very distracting.

The options are going to be similar. I don't know that you'd be giving a whole lot up if you go with the Mazda over the Touring. For me, I'm not a fan of white cars, so I feel like the Touring would get major points for that. Also consider that the Grand Touring has 19" rims, if I recall correctly - tires ain't cheap, I'm told.

I got my Touring for $24,700. If you're not looking at TrueCar.com to see what others are paying in the area, I suggest you do it and see what the average Joe is paying for the Touring around you. If you can get them down around there, I think the Touring would be the better deal - that's a hell of a lot of car for the money and it'll retain it's value better than the Mazda (which is why you're seeing a same-year top of the line trim level Mazda with low mileage several thousand off MSRP.)

Mr.Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Black
I was debating between a Mazda 6 touring and civicx EXL for 2 months. Ended up with the exl

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
Interesting that people have been cross-shopping the Mazda 6 and the Civic. One thing about the 6 is that it has not been a sales success. Last year sales were weak, and this year sales are dropping. Last month Mazda sold fewer than 5000 of the Mazda 6, a drop of 40% from last year. In comparison, Honda sold more than 30,000 each of the Civic and Accord in March. Here are the sales figures for the 6:

Mazda 6 4,094 -45.9%

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I think Mazda gets a bad rep sometimes. I personally really enjoy their designs and think they have some of the most good looking affordable cars on the market (second generation 3 excluded). They're also a blast to drive.

Honda has earned a reputation for sure, but if you look at the 2012 Civic, for all intents and purposes the car was crap compared to some of the other options out there. It was knocked by tons of publications, but people still bought the heck out of it.

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
Resale Value makes the decision.....whats the mazda cost new ($30,195 minimum msrp)...and it dropped to Civic pricing in under a year $5k drop in under a year. Used Tourings are selling at auction from 24-27k

Now if you keep your vehicles for 10+ years this isn't an issue. Unless youre like me and could never support a company whos products devalue worse that section 8 Housing (mazda, vw, and Nissan)
One of the reason mazda's dont hold there value is they sell alot of there cars to fleet sales. Ever car rental company has 3's and 6's for rent.

oneover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring 2015 Corolla S Plus
I purchased the Touring model and am very happy with it. I am 6ft2 and 215 lbs. I really like the seats, maybe the only thing that might be hard for someone with mobility issues is the fact the new Civic sits lower than some others in its class. After less than a week of driving I never even think of no volume knob for sound, I automatically adjust the volume on the touch slider on the steering wheel. Prior to buying it I tested in order,, all of these were brand new,,
Toyota Camry XLE
Honda Accord EX
HONDA Accord Sport Model
I own a 2015 Toyota Corolla S Plus
When seeing this was the same price as a new Accord EX my thinking was why not get the Accord, I am 64 years young. After 2 test drives there was no comparison. The Civic is just as smooth a ride, handles much better and is just plain fun to drive. Don't get me wrong, the Accord EX is a beautiful car but simply boring compared to the Touring Civic.
The 450 watt stereo is what sold my wife, it was all over once she heard that. Do we crank up hip hop, never but Eric Clapton and Govt Mule never sounded better!
I didn't think I would use all of the safety tech features but now I love them.
The Civic Touring felt quicker than the Accord EX 4 cylindar also.
The Accord Sport model did not impress me, looked good on the exterior but rode rough and the interior lacked appeal to me. Felt cheap compared to the EX.
After driving the new Touring model the Camry XLE appeared cheap inside and I am a loyal Toyota owner for 16 years, so these words do not come easy for me. The Camry was not near as quick as the Civc and handled like a 4 door grocery getter.
As I mentioned I own a 2015 Corolla S Plus, I like it but there really is no comparison to the new Civic. The Civic handles much better and has a lot more power. And it's just a lot more car.
I think with the Touring you are getting a sport Acura with a Civic nameplate. It handles great, corners flat and you feel in total command no matter how much you push it. It makes you want to go for a drive for no reason other than to just have some fun.
Drive a few choices in the same day and I think you may be surprised this car is a Civic.

Last edited:

andy_kiawah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I think with the Touring you are getting a sport Acura with a Civic nameplate
My buddy works for Honda Finance Corp and he said they call the Civic Touring the "Acura Civic." I loved that when he told me. I feel like with the ILX, you may wind up feeling some resentment at how nice the Touring is versus what you paid.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I had a white 2014 Mazda6 GT for a year, and AFAIK the only difference to 2016 is redesigned entertainment system and a few new features, and I have a 2016 Civic Touring now. Also, a friend of mine has a 2016 Mazda6 GT I've been in.

I'm the same size as you. The Civic isn't too small, but the 6 definitely feels roomier. It also feels substantially bigger to drive. I like the way my Civic feels to drive much better, but the interior of the 6 is better in most ways. It feels more premium.

I've only had my Civic a few weeks, but so far I'm still annoyed at the lack of volume knob every day. The knob controller on the 6 is WAY better, and not just for volume. The SiriusXM capabilities on the Civic are a lot better, though. The Touring sound system sounds better than the Bose in the 6, IMO.

I think the light quality from the headlights is better on the 6 than the Civic, but barely. I do wish the Civic had automatic highbeam operation like the 6 does. The rotating headlight beams when you turn were nice too.

This may sound odd, but the Civic's cruise control is the main reason I'd pick it over the 6. The 6 is way worse about diving on the brakes if someone cuts over in front of you, and it also cuts off when you get below 20mph while the Civic's will take you all the way down to a full stop. It makes a world of difference if you're in bad traffic often.

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
For some reason mazda cant sell cars. I cant understand why. They all look pretty good.

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
I wouldn't got that far. I just traded in a Mazda6 Grand Touring for a Civic EX and I have to confess that it was a step down in terms of luxury and appointment. The only reason I did so was to save money on monthly payments. The Mazda6 is really in a different class, moreso like a fully equipped Honda Accord.

My family have always been Civic and Miata fans so I'm not going to make senseless generalizations but you can't really go wrong with either brand.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
The Mazda6 is really in a different class, moreso like a fully equipped Honda Accord.
You are comparing a Civic EX to a Mazdza -Touring-?? Why aren't you comparing to the Civic -Touring- which has leather and is more upscale than EX.
Sponsored