2016 Mazda 6 Grand Touring

Hockeybeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Veloster
Before you say anything, yes, I know these are two separate categories of cars. I am coming from a 2013 Hyundai Veloster and am selling it because it is just too small. So here is where I am at, I have narrowed my purchasing options down to two cars. A new 2016 Touring in Aegean Blue or a used 2016 Mazda 6 Grand Touring in Snowflake whitehttp://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...=0&searchRadius=200&listingId=422294907&Log=0

My thoughts so far..
I like the size of the Mazda 6, remember I am coming from a very small car - hyundai veloster, and am looking for something bigger. I honestly liked the Mazda 6 that I test drove, it was roomy, tech-filled (however the civic touring is as well).
When I was at my local Honda, the only Touring they had on the lot was inside the showroom and thus were unable to remove it for a test drive however I drove a comparable EX-L or T or whatever, not sure, but it had the turbo motor which was a pretty nice drive.

I want to know, from you Touring owners, what do you think of the 450 watt sound system? Is it pretty nice? For those who went to a civic for a roomier ride, what do you think now? I am 6'2, around 200lbs, pretty well built and athletic.

Another thing that A LOT of people are unsure of, is the lack of volume nob. For you owners, how quick did you get used to this? Do you think it becomes a hindrance to the car? I know that is nit-picky but I was not overly thrilled over the full touchscreen and touch sensitive controls of the infotainment.

Something to consider... resale value. In this case I think the Honda would have a better resale value, plus I think it will age better, being that this is an all new generation and this body-style should stick around for quite a few more years.

Please let me know what your thoughts are on the two cars!
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
the 450 watt sound system is entirely subjective. It is infinitely better than my parents' base 2003 Lancer, but not as good as my old car with aftermarket head unit, speakers, amp, and sub. It's not bad for a stock factory option, but the sub leaves room for desire.

You'll get used to the touch thing.

And while I prefer the design of the 6, if you're replacing cars every 3 years I'd get the Civic.

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
I've owned both Mazdas and Hondas over the years, and both are good choices. Have you considered putting the Honda Accord into the mix? I think it's worth test driving an Accord. For about the same price as a Civic Touring you can get an Accord EX, which is pretty lux and high tech. Or, for less money than a Civic Touring you could get an Accord Sport, which has 19" wheels, etc. Check it out:

http://automobiles.honda.com/tools/build-price/colors.aspx?ModelName=Accord Sedan&ModelYear=2016&ModelID=CR2F5GEW&EColor=R-94&IColor=BK

Even though Hondas and Mazdas are both good cars, I prefer Honda for a few reasons. First, the Hondas just seem to be a little nicer and better engineered. Second, there are more than twice as many Honda dealers in the US, and so it's easier to get service, parts, and repairs if needed. Third, Hondas have slightly better resale value. Fourth, Hondas are made in the USA, while Mazdas are made in Japan and Mexico. I like to feel like my hard-earned money is supporting good jobs in the US.

If you want to save some money, consider the Civic EX-T. It's $4300 less than the Civic Touring, but is still pretty loaded—turbo engine, smart entry/pushbutton start, moonroof, 8-speaker stereo with XM and HD radio, LaneWatch, AndroidAuto/CarPlay, remote start, heated seats, 17" alloy wheels, fog lights, etc.

Last edited:

andy_kiawah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Before you say anything, yes, I know these are two separate categories of cars. I am coming from a 2013 Hyundai Veloster and am selling it because it is just too small. So here is where I am at, I have narrowed my purchasing options down to two cars. A new 2016 Touring in Aegean Blue or a used 2016 Mazda 6 Grand Touring in Snowflake whitehttp://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?endYear=2017&zip=93314&listingTypes=new,used,certified&sellerTypes=d,p,t&maxPrice=28000&showcaseListingId=0&trim1=MAZDA6|i+Grand+Touring&mmt=[MAZDA[MAZDA6[MAZDA6%7Ci+Grand+Touring]][]]&modelCode1=MAZDA6&startYear=2016&makeCode1=MAZDA&showcaseOwnerId=0&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=200&listingId=422294907&Log=0

My thoughts so far..
I like the size of the Mazda 6, remember I am coming from a very small car - hyundai veloster, and am looking for something bigger. I honestly liked the Mazda 6 that I test drove, it was roomy, tech-filled (however the civic touring is as well).
When I was at my local Honda, the only Touring they had on the lot was inside the showroom and thus were unable to remove it for a test drive however I drove a comparable EX-L or T or whatever, not sure, but it had the turbo motor which was a pretty nice drive.

I want to know, from you Touring owners, what do you think of the 450 watt sound system? Is it pretty nice? For those who went to a civic for a roomier ride, what do you think now? I am 6'2, around 200lbs, pretty well built and athletic.

Another thing that A LOT of people are unsure of, is the lack of volume nob. For you owners, how quick did you get used to this? Do you think it becomes a hindrance to the car? I know that is nit-picky but I was not overly thrilled over the full touchscreen and touch sensitive controls of the infotainment.

Something to consider... resale value. In this case I think the Honda would have a better resale value, plus I think it will age better, being that this is an all new generation and this body-style should stick around for quite a few more years.

I've never driven a Mazda, nor do I particularly care to give it a chance for some reason, but I have owned a 2 civics and an Accord EX. I recently bought the Touring and I think it's a pretty impressive car in styling, interior, drive quality, and features. There are bugs, but Honda is getting those worked out. Your height will not be an issue as a driver or front seat passenger, but I believe 6'1" or 6'2" is the limit for a rear seat passenger with the roof line. Dont worry about leg room though. The sound system is one of my favorite things and is a primary reason I purchased the Touring, however, there are some things you should know: Make sure the dealer installs padding in the rear deck lid AND brake light housing. If they don't you will hear a rattle from the subwoofer. This should be done at no cost as I had it done under warranty. Other than that, the speakers and 450 watt amp really make me happy (I'm not an audiophile, but it's a tremendous upgrade from the 6 speakers and amp in the Accord EX). As for the volume knob... yeah, you'll get used to it. You just slide or mash with your left thumb. Driving it on the highway is also a real treat for me. It just feels like it's the best car on the road to me when going 70 mph.

OP
OP

Hockeybeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Veloster
the 450 watt sound system is entirely subjective. It is infinitely better than my parents' base 2003 Lancer, but not as good as my old car with aftermarket head unit, speakers, amp, and sub. It's not bad for a stock factory option, but the sub leaves room for desire.

You'll get used to the touch thing.

And while I prefer the design of the 6, if you're replacing cars every 3 years I'd get the Civic.
I wish I was able to test drive the touring at my local dealership and test out the sound system =/ Im coming from a complete base model veloster so Im sure this sound system is indeed much better then what I am used to.

I do not plan on replacing cars every 3 years, thing is, funny enough, I won my veloster in an online contest. Yes, I know, people think you never win those things - you do. Anyways It was a cool car and was cool to have a brand new, fully paid off car at 18 years old but its not a car I would have purchased myself. Its too small. Ive enjoyed it the last 3 years but its time I get something I would like. I plan on keeping my next car longer then I had my old one.

OP
OP

Hockeybeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Veloster
I've owned both Mazdas and Hondas over the years, and both are good choices. Have you considered putting the Honda Accord into the mix? I think it's worth test driving an Accord. For about the same price as a Civic Touring you can get an Accord EX, which is pretty lux and high tech. Or, for less money than a Civic Touring you could get an Accord Sport, which has 19" wheels, etc. Check it out:

http://automobiles.honda.com/tools/build-price/colors.aspx?ModelName=Accord Sedan&ModelYear=2016&ModelID=CR2F5GEW&EColor=R-94&IColor=BK

Even though Hondas and Mazdas are both good cars, I prefer Honda for a few reasons. First, the Hondas just seem to be a little nicer and better engineered. Second, there are more than twice as many Honda dealers in the US, and so it's easier to get service, parts, and repairs if needed. Third, Hondas have slightly better resale value. Fourth, Hondas are made in the USA, while Mazdas are made in Japan and Mexico. I like to feel like my hard-earned money is supporting good jobs in the US.

If you want to save some money, consider the Civic EX-T. It's $4300 less than the Civic Touring, but is still pretty loaded—turbo engine, smart entry/pushbutton start, moonroof, 8-speaker stereo with XM and HD radio, LaneWatch, AndroidAuto/CarPlay, remote start, heated seats, 17" alloy wheels, fog lights, etc.
No not really considered an accord, and don't think I will. If I wanted to go with the bigger car my option would definitely be the mazda without considering the accord. I have considered everything else you have said however..

I've never driven a Mazda, nor do I particularly care to give it a chance for some reason, but I have owned a 2 civics and an Accord EX. I recently bought the Touring and I think it's a pretty impressive car in styling, interior, drive quality, and features. There are bugs, but Honda is getting those worked out. Your height will not be an issue as a driver or front seat passenger, but I believe 6'1" or 6'2" is the limit for a rear seat passenger with the roof line. Dont worry about leg room though. The sound system is one of my favorite things and is a primary reason I purchased the Touring, however, there are some things you should know: Make sure the dealer installs padding in the rear deck lid AND brake light housing. If they don't you will hear a rattle from the subwoofer. This should be done at no cost as I had it done under warranty. Other than that, the speakers and 450 watt amp really make me happy (I'm not an audiophile, but it's a tremendous upgrade from the 6 speakers and amp in the Accord EX). As for the volume knob... yeah, you'll get used to it. You just slide or mash with your left thumb. Driving it on the highway is also a real treat for me. It just feels like it's the best car on the road to me when going 70 mph.
I really enjoyed the mazda, I liked the rotary dial for controlling the infotainment system, and I liked little things like the positioning of the volume nob next to the rotary nob in the center console area.

I felt okay as a driver, but when I sat behind myself in the backseat of the honda, my head was scraping the roof of the civic and that was uncomfortable. Heated rear seats are cool but I do not drive with other people in the car that often so that is kind of a gimmick to me.
I am not an audiophile either, however I really really love to listen to my music in the car. So a nice sound system is important to me. I know when I drove the Mazda I cranked up those Bose speakers and they sounded nice and crisp and amazing all the way into the upper decibels. I appreciated that. Did not get the chance to test out the stereo in the Civic since the only touring they had was in the showroom and couldnt be tested.

Mr.Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Black
Before you say anything, yes, I know these are two separate categories of cars. I am coming from a 2013 Hyundai Veloster and am selling it because it is just too small. So here is where I am at, I have narrowed my purchasing options down to two cars. A new 2016 Touring in Aegean Blue or a used 2016 Mazda 6 Grand Touring in Snowflake whitehttp://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?endYear=2017&zip=93314&listingTypes=new,used,certified&sellerTypes=d,p,t&maxPrice=28000&showcaseListingId=0&trim1=MAZDA6|i+Grand+Touring&mmt=[MAZDA[MAZDA6[MAZDA6%7Ci+Grand+Touring]][]]&modelCode1=MAZDA6&startYear=2016&makeCode1=MAZDA&showcaseOwnerId=0&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=200&listingId=422294907&Log=0

My thoughts so far..

Im 6'2" and 260lbs and I feel comfortable in my Civic EX-L. Longest drive I had was to the beach 1 1/2 hours away, and I didn't feel any discomfort, and I have a bad back.

bobbyboogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring - MSM
Country flag

My thoughts so far..

Although I have never driven a Mazda, I'm sure they make great quality cars. I've test driven an Civic EX-T and the Touring, and I bought the Touring. I suggest you try driving the Touring especially at night. The LED headlights are sweet! I also found the seating in the Touring a bit more comfortable than the EX-T. The sound is incredible too, but as the previous poster mentioned, get the areas around the subwoofer cushioned from vibration. The lack of a nob for the volume control hasn't been a hindrance for me, in fact I really like the thumb-swipe volume control on the steering wheel. The Honda Sensing features work great too. I especially like the Adaptive Cruise Control for highway driving. I'm not sure if Mazda has those kind of sensing features. The Touring also comes with a phone charging bin which allows you to wirelessly charge your phone.
I am very impressed with my Touring and I think you owe it to yourself to take it out for a spin. You'll fall in love with it! Good luck with your decision.

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Was just in my friends 2015 Mazda 6- mid to upper trim level. The leather seats were more cushioned/supportive. The interior space felt the same to me. Hondas interior fit and finish is better but the 6 isn't far behind- just not as much when it comes to the "little detail". I'd be perfectly happy in the 6 interior, though it does seem a bit washed out all in black.

The infotainment is vastly superior. I'm not even going to split hairs here. I deeply detest the lack of a volume knob and how distracting I find stabbing at a touch screen to get things done in this car, though it's a solid UI. The 6 screen is eye level (huge plus), and the knobs and buttons near the cub holder control it all. I would take it any day of the week, though the screen is smaller.

I love the design of both, but the 6 just inches out for me. Standard features are gonna go to the civic in terms of value, but the 6 felt more substantive and sturdy.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Honestly, if cost isn't a factor, the 6 may be the choice here.

I donno about in the US but in Canada mazda has a better warranty as well. Plus the original owner took most of the depreciation hit, so unless it was in some terrible accident, I'd pick the mazda.

As for the headlight thing someone mentioned, yes, Civic's LED's are nice, but the GT should come with HIDs (I may be wrong). Some prefer projector than our tourings' reflectors, so that point, too, is subjective.

But really, you should find a dealer where you can test the features of the Civic before making your purchase!

OP
OP

Hockeybeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Veloster
Honestly, if cost isn't a factor, the 6 may be the choice here.

I donno about in the US but in Canada mazda has a better warranty as well. Plus the original owner took most of the depreciation hit, so unless it was in some terrible accident, I'd pick the mazda.

As for the headlight thing someone mentioned, yes, Civic's LED's are nice, but the GT should come with HIDs (I may be wrong). Some prefer projector than our tourings' reflectors, so that point, too, is subjective.

But really, you should find a dealer where you can test the features of the Civic before making your purchase!
The cost of the two I am looking at are effectively the same.
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Mazda 6 Grand Touring b8e5d0e778301783c6973bc35986200a

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Mazda 6 Grand Touring 1e07a4b2429c738354fba554cc858fe0

I can get the Mazda 6 with 7k miles for the same as a new Civic touring. So cost isnt much of a factor for me.

The mazda 6 GT headlights are actually LEDs as well, obviously in a projector housing but they are not indeed HIDs, however the GT headlights swivel with the turn of the wheel which is pretty cool.
I definitely am going to have to drive the touring, it has been a few weeks since I was at my local dealership so hopefully they have a few more touring trims on the lot available to test drive.

OP
OP

Hockeybeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Veloster
Was just in my friends 2015 Mazda 6- mid to upper trim level. The leather seats were more cushioned/supportive. The interior space felt the same to me. Hondas interior fit and finish is better but the 6 isn't far behind- just not as much when it comes to the "little detail". I'd be perfectly happy in the 6 interior, though it does seem a bit washed out all in black.

The infotainment is vastly superior. I'm not even going to split hairs here. I deeply detest the lack of a volume knob and how distracting I find stabbing at a touch screen to get things done in this car, though it's a solid UI. The 6 screen is eye level (huge plus), and the knobs and buttons near the cub holder control it all. I would take it any day of the week, though the screen is smaller.

I love the design of both, but the 6 just inches out for me. Standard features are gonna go to the civic in terms of value, but the 6 felt more substantive and sturdy.
I test drove the 6 GT fully loaded out however with an all black interior, which I do not like. I really fancy the white on black interior of the 6 that I have linked here, however my concern with that interior would be the ease of it getting dirty...

I really really appreciated the infotainment of the 6. The controls were far superior as well.

I just also really like the sensing tech on the honda, the slow speed follow is a big turn on for me since I often drive in horrible LA traffic.

andy_kiawah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
The cost of the two I am looking at are effectively the same.
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Mazda 6 Grand Touring b8e5d0e778301783c6973bc35986200a

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Mazda 6 Grand Touring 1e07a4b2429c738354fba554cc858fe0

I can get the Mazda 6 with 7k miles for the same as a new Civic touring. So cost isnt much of a factor for me.

The mazda 6 GT headlights are actually LEDs as well, obviously in a projector housing but they are not indeed HIDs, however the GT headlights swivel with the turn of the wheel which is pretty cool.
I definitely am going to have to drive the touring, it has been a few weeks since I was at my local dealership so hopefully they have a few more touring trims on the lot available to test drive.
Just looking at that price for the Touring makes me feel bad. That's a nice price :/

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
In terms of mpg and acceleration, the Civic turbo will beat the Mazda6. Gas prices are low now, but are predicted to rise again in future years.

Civic combined mpg= 35
Mazda6 comb mpg=31

Car and Driver says that the 0-60 for the Mazda6 is a respectable 7.3, but the Civic turbo approaches fast with a time of 6.8. Half a second may not sound like much, but in the real world it's significant. There's nothing wrong with 7.3, but it's not esp. quick, while breaking 7 seconds begins to be somewhat impressive.

Even though the Mazda6 is 10 inches longer, 2 inches wider, and 300+ pounds heavier than the Civic, it doesn't have significantly more room.

Civic Touring trunk=14.7 (the non Touring models have more space, 15.1, bc they don't have the subwoofer)

Mazda6 trunk=14.8

Civic front headroom=37.5
Mazda6 front headroom=37.4

Civic rear headroom=36.8
Mazda6 rear hr=37.1
Sponsored

Last edited: