• Total voters

captainchair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring CBP
Country flag
Hey all!

I'm buying my first new car (been driving the same car for 14 years... since high school if you can believe it) and I was set on getting a 2016 Civic Touring. Great gas mileage, technology, reliable, sporty/fun, love the 2016 looks, etc.

One of the only other cars I was interested in is the Honda Accord Touring because it seems like a very comfortable commuter, looks not quite as interesting on the outside but maybe more "adult", and I'm going to be spending 90% of my time on the highway (couple hour commute every day... sigh). The biggest turn off with the Accord was the gas mileage. I thought I read that in Canada they get the Touring model in the 4-cyl. engine... I'm jealous!

So as I was saying, I was all set to get the 2016 Civic Touring in May when the announcement of the 2017 Accord Hybrid comes along last week. More space (important to me), superior gas mileage (also great), comfy ride... what's not to like? That it's still the 9th-gen? And I guess that it isn't as sporty as the Civic Touring but let's be honest I won't really get to use either at the track and Bay Area traffic is so awful as it is.

So let's say they cost the same thing and I realize they don't at all. What would you pick in my situation and why? 2 hour commutes/clients in the car. The 2017 Accord Hybrid is due to be hitting dealerships in the next month or two so the wait shouldn't be a part of your answer.

I think if I flipped a coin I wouldn't be upset at the end of the day being "stuck" with either as they are both great performing cars and worlds ahead of what I'm currently driving. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
Tough call until we see what the performance specs of the new Accord Hybrid are like. With the exception of the new NSX, Honda has traditionally engineered and marketed its hybrid systems with an environmental spin -- better overall fuel economy, and all that rot. Rubbish! Hybrid systems are for performance, as evidenced in the NSX, and backed up by, well, physics. The fact that they can also yield better fuel economy is secondary, or at least should be. Hopefully they'll inject a little bit of this ethos into forthcoming hybrid systems like the new Accord. If so, the choice will be easy :)

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
You know there will probably be like a 10k difference in pricing, the 2015 accord touring hybrid was almost 36k MSRP new
I know you said just say they cost the same but that makes no sense at all, the accord touring hybrid will have more features and is better in every way

OP
OP

captainchair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring CBP
Country flag
You know there will probably be like a 10k difference in pricing, the 2015 accord touring hybrid was almost 36k MSRP new
I know you said just say they cost the same but that makes no sense at all, the accord touring hybrid will have more features and is better in every way
I completely understand that there might be a $10k difference.

You say the Accord Hybrid will have more features and is better in every way. Can you elaborate on why you think it is? No arguments here I'm just trying to feel out if Civic fans would be interested in the Accord Hybrid Touring if I told them either was "free" to them in this scenario.

The truth is that I got a new job that increases my pay substantially. Most of the cars in the lot are Tesla, MB, Audi, etc. I've always liked Honda and I see no point in paying luxury prices when Honda makes vehicles with as many or more features followed by superior gas mileage - so to me they basically cost the same.

So it sounds like you would take the Hybrid over your EX-T?

maxboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring NBP
I came from 2014 Accord Hybrid (totaled), and now Civic X touring, I will take Accord hybrid again TBH (unfortunately they don't have 2016 model while I am shopping for one).

Nothing wrong with Civic X and I am planning to keep it for as long as I can but Accord Hybrid is indeed a better car (not in every way tho)

Accord H over Civic
Pro:
Fuel Economy average 5.5L/ 100km (not concerning fuel econ, just drive) or (1 tank 55L goes as far as 1400km in summer and 1000km in Winter, hmmm..in Canada)
Quiet, Very Quiet, Extremely Quiet.
Seamless transition between E-motor and Engine.
Overall satisfaction, nice, luxury feel and roomy cabin, very roomy.
Very nice to drive, it is not a sporty car, so drive it like a luxury sedan.
It is a fast car tho, very responsive, tons of torque, power handled beautifully.
Dual Screen infotainment makes a lot of sense, you can have your nav (android auto/Car play) in the center and have your lane watch camera on the upper screen.
Low maintenance fee: why? you only do Engine oil change and tire rotation. When you learn how this car react, you will know how to utilize it and keep you cost really low
2nd E-motor brake, every time coming to a stop, you will have a habit to pull the shift lever to B (Brake), it charge your battery with max efficiency of the 2nd E-motor and when you need complete stop, just tap on the brake panel to hold the car still. So you really don't use up your brake pad in 3-4 years.
Engine oil: The engine only kick in 50% of the time in your journey. so You are doubling your engine oil life. I change my first oil at around 20000km, seriously the car said still have 30% oil life left. I just feel like to change it.
Transmission oil: ar.... no Transmission in this car, only 1 Gear (hwy gear), maybe you still want to change it every 100000km.
Battery: it is lithium-ion battery, not nickel metal, expect to last very long time.

Con:
Truck Space, technically no Truck, battery inside the truck that could only do grocery and fit a small suit case, that's it, rear seat wont fold down. This car won't go to ikea.
Engine noise. Although Accord has noise cancelling mic in the cabin to cancel part of the engine noise, still, it makes noise from time to time (engine kick in about 50% of the time, so you get 50% of complete slient, trade off)
and the engine note is not a honda sounded engine, it sounds like a generator (Atkinson cycle btw)
Wait time, They are not making them to have it in stock, I waited mine for 4 months.

OP
OP

captainchair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring CBP
Country flag
I came from 2014 Accord Hybrid (totaled), and now Civic X touring, I will take Accord hybrid again TBH (unfortunately they don't have 2016 model while I am shopping for one).

Nothing wrong with Civic X and I am planning to keep it for as long as I can but Accord Hybrid is indeed a better car (not in every way tho)

Accord H over Civic
Pro:
Fuel Economy average 5.5L/ 100km (not concerning fuel econ, just drive) or (1 tank 55L goes as far as 1400km in summer and 1000km in Winter, hmmm..in Canada)
Quiet, Very Quiet, Extremely Quiet.
Seamless transition between E-motor and Engine.
Overall satisfaction, nice, luxury feel and roomy cabin, very roomy.
Very nice to drive, it is not a sporty car, so drive it like a luxury sedan.
It is a fast car tho, very responsive, tons of torque, power handled beautifully.
Dual Screen infotainment makes a lot of sense, you can have your nav (android auto/Car play) in the center and have your lane watch camera on the upper screen.
Low maintenance fee: why? you only do Engine oil change and tire rotation. When you learn how this car react, you will know how to utilize it and keep you cost really low
2nd E-motor brake, every time coming to a stop, you will have a habit to pull the shift lever to B (Brake), it charge your battery with max efficiency of the 2nd E-motor and when you need complete stop, just tap on the brake panel to hold the car still. So you really don't use up your brake pad in 3-4 years.
Engine oil: The engine only kick in 50% of the time in your journey. so You are doubling your engine oil life. I change my first oil at around 20000km, seriously the car said still have 30% oil life left. I just feel like to change it.
Transmission oil: ar.... no Transmission in this car, only 1 Gear (hwy gear), maybe you still want to change it every 100000km.
Battery: it is lithium-ion battery, not nickel metal, expect to last very long time.

Con:
Truck Space, technically no Truck, battery inside the truck that could only do grocery and fit a small suit case, that's it, rear seat wont fold down. This car won't go to ikea.
Engine noise. Although Accord has noise cancelling mic in the cabin to cancel part of the engine noise, still, it makes noise from time to time (engine kick in about 50% of the time, so you get 50% of complete slient, trade off)
and the engine note is not a honda sounded engine, it sounds like a generator (Atkinson cycle btw)
Wait time, They are not making them to have it in stock, I waited mine for 4 months.
Thank you for the detailed breakdown! You are exactly the person I wanted to hear from, someone who has driven both and whose price range still allows both as options. I really appreciate it.

I never thought about the wait. Living in CA where there are plenty of Hybrids around makes me think the dealers will have a couple around, especially since Honda announced it was going to make something like 2x as many Hybrids for this year as compared to last. Fingers crossed on that. That may very well be the decision maker as my current car is on it's last leg.

What do you like about your Civic more than your previous Accord Hybrid?

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
With taxes and everything, you are looking at about $12K more + higher insurance because the car costs more. If you drive all highway you will only save a few bucks per year because it will be about 8-10MPG difference. City driving you will do much much better however, 20MPG higher or more.

The car is probably a foot longer and 2 inches wider so it will take up more garage space.

I think the acceleration will feel nicer because of the electric motors and has 212HP combined which is really nice.

I was going to wait for this car but after seeing how refined the new Civic Touring is, and I can put the 12K extra towards my next car (Tesla), it was a no brainer.

maxboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring NBP
Thank you for the detailed breakdown! You are exactly the person I wanted to hear from, someone who has driven both and whose price range still allows both as options. I really appreciate it.

I never thought about the wait. Living in CA where there are plenty of Hybrids around makes me think the dealers will have a couple around, especially since Honda announced it was going to make something like 2x as many Hybrids for this year as compared to last. Fingers crossed on that. That may very well be the decision maker as my current car is on it's last leg.

What do you like about your Civic more than your previous Accord Hybrid?
No problem, I am glad I helped.

I am kind of guy who only care what I love, I still remembered the day I ordered CRZ and waited 5 months for it. I think in the future i will get the 2017/18 Accord Hybrid.

The wait time should be a lot better in CA. The thing is the supply of the battery is from Japan, I heard something like US gov doesn't like importing large battery pack massively.

In term of Civic, I love it! I have touring model.
Pro:
Summary
Cost $10K less
Interior design
is a lot younger, very well excuted. I like the cup holder area storage, it makes a lot of sense since people have more gadget carry around and it fit an ipad easily.
Exterior design: top notch , best in class
The most roomy small sedan you could find!
Audio system: it has dolby surround sound setting, it sound excellent right out the box. (side note, accord noise cancelling thing significantly reduce audio quality, 7 speakers and it sound horrible, some people for in to the tech manual to disable it and some one even physically unplug it).

CVT , yes you heard me right. This CVT is the best I even driven, most of the cvt are rev machine that utilize horsepower which is not right. This one? It is torque oriented, you can actually feel it is working hard to give you the torque at 3000rpm and it pulls (insread of rev all the way to 5000rpm and nothing happen).
Suspension: I am impressed, the first time I test drive it, I noticed it right away how well it handle, a little body roll, stiff but still enough to absorb rough road.
All seat heated, wow canada winter.

Con:
The seat is low, the ride is a bit rough due to a sportier suspension, long haul drive could be tired for the driver.
No memory seat.... No memory seat....
Still, one screen infotainment is too busy switch back and forth from camera, audio, nav....

So overall design, utility is better on Civic. Best in class no doubt.
Overall engineering, room/size, comfort are better on accord. It truely makes you feel special! (it can be justified for 10k more, because it will be the best 10k you can spend on car)

OP
OP

captainchair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring CBP
Country flag
With taxes and everything, you are looking at about $12K more + higher insurance because the car costs more. If you drive all highway you will only save a few bucks per year because it will be about 8-10MPG difference. City driving you will do much much better however, 20MPG higher or more.

The car is probably a foot longer and 2 inches wider so it will take up more garage space.

I think the acceleration will feel nicer because of the electric motors and has 212HP combined which is really nice.

I was going to wait for this car but after seeing how refined the new Civic Touring is, and I can put the 12K extra towards my next car (Tesla), it was a no brainer.
I'm curious about the driving quality with 212 hp as well. I know a handful of people who put their deposit down for that next Tesla.. the thought definitely crossed my mind.
Sponsored