Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
American Honda Sets New February Record; New Civic and Honda Division Lead with Second Consecutive Monthly Records
Mar 1, 2016 - TORRANCE, Calif.

• Honda Division sets new February benchmark on sales of 106,212 vehicles
    • All-new 2016 Honda Civic sets a new monthly record for the second month in a row with sales up 31.7 percent; with all-new Civic Coupe set to go on sale mid-March
    • Acura ILX, the brand's entry point and most youthful model, was up 56.4 percent
American Honda Motor Co., Inc. today reported record February sales of 118,985 Honda and Acura vehicles, an increase of 12.8 percent. Honda Division set a new February record with 106,212 units sold, up 14.9 percent; Honda car sales reached 57,267 while record February truck sales totaled 48,945 for the month. Acura sales totaled 12,773 with sedan sales of 4,683 and trucks reaching 8,090 units in February.

Honda
Fresh off of a record January and led by record sales of the all-new 2016 Civic Sedan and the CR-V along with a strong performance by the Accord, the Honda brand set a new February sales mark.
  • Civic, relying only on sales of the Sedan, was the brand's best-selling model for the month, setting a new February record, with sales up 31.7 percent to 27,707 units; the All-new Civic Coupe will accelerate that momentum when it goes on sale in mid-March.
  • Also bucking the light truck trend, Accord was up 19.3 percent on sales of 25,785 units.
  • CR-V, America's best-selling SUV, was up 13.2 percent on record February sales of 25,250 vehicles.
  • Odyssey had a double digit gain, up 11.4 percent with 8,994 units sold for the month.
  • In high demand but short supply, Pilot sold 9,572 units, a strong month, but a 24.2 percent decrease compared to February 2015, when high inventories and aggressive sell-down efforts of the prior generation model led to near-record sales.
"Led by the all-new Civic, Honda cars are defying industry trends, even as our light truck models are red hot this winter," said Jeff Conrad, senior vice president and general manager of the Honda Division. "With more versions of the Civic yet to go on sale and an all-new Ridgeline on the way, Honda is primed for an incredibly strong start to the year."

Acura
While overall sales were down slightly for February, strong sales of the ILX, the brand's gateway model; the launch of the Acura NSX online vehicle configurator in late February and a refreshed MDX set to debut at the New York Auto Show this month portend a strong year as the Acura brand approaches its 30th anniversary in late March.
  • ILX followed up on a strong January result, rising an impressive 56.4 percent on sales of 1,500 units in February.
  • MDX, challenged by low inventory levels, was the brand's best-selling model for the month with sales of 4,292 units in February, down 5.7 percent.

"As we approach the 30th anniversary of the Acura brand in March and the launch of the NSX this spring, it's encouraging to see the same kind of excitement associated with the early days of the brand," said Jon Ikeda, vice president and general manager of the Acura division. "With a strong gateway model attracting new customers to the brand in the ILX, and an updated MDX about to debut at the New York auto show, it's not simply cliché to say that the best is yet to come."

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic sets new monthly record for 2nd month in a row feb16sales
Sponsored

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Great news for the Honda brand.

Acura is doing pretty terrible, down 75%? I think Honda may axe this entire line soon.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wonder to what extent marked-down '15s are selling versus '16s.

Also, not sure if I am more impressed by the RLX's horrid 103 units, or how the Ridgeline sold -1. :what:

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Acura is doing pretty terrible, down 75%?
I don't think you are reading the table correctly. They may not be doing great, but I'm only seeing -7.8% year-on-year; only -1.7% month-on-month.

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I don't think you are reading the table correctly. They may not be doing great, but I'm only seeing -7.8% year-on-year; only -1.7% month-on-month.
Good catch, I was reading the last line for hybrid.

TEACHERSINCE2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(White Orchid Pearl) Honda Civic Touring 2016
...."Honda Civic" has been the best selling car in Canada for 18 years and counting because there are so many different models/versions of the so-called "Honda Civic".

There's the 4-door Touring (which I'm very proudly a new owner of) or non-Touring sedan, the coupe, the Si (to be released), the hatchback (to be released), and the type R (to be released as well).

So essentially, that's 5 "different looking" sets of cars all together. All bearing the name, "Honda Civic".:coffee::drive:

Last edited:

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Civic , Crv and Accord are Hondas bread and butter. I hope the Hrv gets refreshed with more horse power soon.

hondabuildquality

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
The Civic , Crv and Accord are Hondas bread and butter. I hope the Hrv gets refreshed with more horse power soon.
I've head rumours that the HR-V is going to be getting the Civic X's 2.0 and 1.5L options. The 2.0L weighs less and makes more power than the current 1.8L - it would be good option for the HR-V.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That sounds like great news. I drove the HRV and had very high hopes but sadly a Civic or Crv just blows the HRV away. The HRV to me just seems cheap inside and out. With the Toyota C-HR taking the Geneva show.. Honda has to respond. Just like Toyota has to respond to the Civic. Its a car I can not find faults in and Im a little hard to please. Honda needs to can the CRZ, Insight and Fit and focus on whats new to come.

I've head rumours that the HR-V is going to be getting the Civic X's 2.0 and 1.5L options. The 2.0L weighs less and makes more power than the current 1.8L - it would be good option for the HR-V.

Last edited:

hondabuildquality

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
That sounds like great news. I drove the HRV and had very high hopes but sadly a Civic or Crv just blows the HRV away. The HRV to me just seems cheap inside and out. With the Toyota C-HR taking the Geneva show.. Honda has to respond. Just like Toyota has to respond to the Civic. Its a car I can not find faults in and Im a little hard to please. Honda needs to can the CRZ, Insight and Fit and focus on whats new to come.
It does sound like good news, and I hope that the rumours are true. Unfortunately, I don't know if they are or not.

I personally want a revival of the S2000 :) And no hybrid technology in it, just Honda's best 4 cylinder in a lightweight chassis.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
… in a lightweight chassis.
With the current crash standards (ACE, etc) and performance expectations (IIHS Safety Pick +), I'm not sure that lightweight chassis like the S2000 will happen at any reasonable cost--not without using CFRP, lots of Al, etc.

hondabuildquality

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
With the current crash standards (ACE, etc) and performance expectations (IIHS Safety Pick +), I'm not sure that lightweight chassis like the S2000 will happen at any reasonable cost--not without using CFRP, lots of Al, etc.
I agree with you, your point is valid, but it doesn't mean it is impossible. Look at the current Miata - it has gone back down all the way to almost to its original weight, and it is very reasonably priced. Also, the FR-S is around the same weight as the S2000, and it also has rear seats (I mean, albeit small). It's possible.

Imagine popping the Civic's 2.0L in the current Miata. It weighs almost 100lbs less then the 2.0L on the Miata, gets a few more ponies and is arguably a much more engaging, fun to drive and reliable 4 cylinder. Point is not to do engine swaps with Miatas - I'm saying Honda has as much if not more technical ability to build a great sports car like the S2000 and I hope their marketing department decides it's economical to do it.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm saying Honda has as much if not more technical ability to build a great sports car like the S2000 and I hope their marketing department decides it's economical to do it.
No doubt about their technical ability. Look at all the technology they put in the 10th gen Civic body. It's probably a tough business case to make.

You made me go research it and, yes, pretty impressive what Mazda has done:
new Miata:
155 hp / 2,332 lbs
original Miata:
115 hp / 2,070 lbs

Penryn87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring.
Country flag
Acura has actually been increasing sales year over year for the past 6 years after it's nosedive in 2009, and in 2015, Honda finally recovered to pre-2008 recession numbers. All and all, Honda is really in the wheel house in the moment with redesigned Civic really charging forward for them. I think the Civic is going to be a big deal for them and I wouldn't be shocked if they hit 400,000 units in the US market. The Ridgeline might actually work this time around ... maybe?

Acura is bigger than a lot of people realize. The brand is 5th largest luxury car brand in the US. They sell more cars than Cadillac, Infiniti, Lincoln and Volvo. There growth has been restricted because they have just never been able to move out of the TL(TLX)/MDX model. If they had been allowed to develop a proper rear drive with a V8 15 years ago, I have little doubt they would be up there with Lexus and Mercedes, but that is an argument for another time. At the end of the day, it's a place where Honda can test drive some cost prohibitive technology before moving it down to the rest of the Honda line.

Last edited:

Chiricon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
I saw a Ridgeline on the road on Friday on I71 North, just North of Columbus. Here is a pic. Badges are covered with black tape.
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic sets new monthly record for 2nd month in a row 3709
Sponsored