benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
Full production started today in Canada:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...anada-Mfg.-Global-Lead-Plant-Tenth-Generation

"October 20, 2015 04:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time
  • Civic production is led for the first time by Canadian manufacturing operations
  • All-new 2016 Civic sedan goes on sale in Canada later this fall
  • All 2016 Civic sedans and coupes for Canadian market to be produced in Alliston, Ontario
ALLISTON, Ontario--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Honda of Canada Mfg. (HCM) today celebrated the global start of mass production of the all-new, dynamic 2016 Honda Civic sedan at its production facility in Alliston, ON. Slated to go on sale at dealerships across Canada later this fall, the all-new tenth generation Honda Civic is the most ambitious remake of the model in its 43-year history. Civic has been Canada’s best-selling passenger car for the past 17 consecutive years.

“Canadians can also take pride in knowing that every Civic coupe, sedan and Si model sold in Canada is made right here in Ontario, for Canadians, by Canadians.”

Today’s ceremony follows Honda’s previous announcement of a significant investment of $857-million over three years to innovate its three award-winning manufacturing plants with new technologies and processes.

As the global lead plant, HCM is not only the first plant in the world to launch the all-new Civic into mass production, but is also responsible for developing the processes and tooling that will form the manufacturing base at all Honda plants globally that will build the tenth generation Civic model.

“Our team also set a new benchmark, taking on the incredible challenge of being the lead plant for the global launch of this new Civic, and we’re committed to delivering world-class Civic quality for our customers here in Canada and around the world,” said Dan Smith, president of Honda of Canada Mfg.

More than 4.5 million Civics have been built at Honda’s manufacturing facility since 1988 and Civic sales in Canada exceed 1.89 million units...."

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic production has begun! Civic_Line_Off_HCM_edit
Sponsored

civvie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Looks like the the Oct. 27 date was for the start of production at the Indiana plant.

Beautiful first one off the line!

OP
OP

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
Honda's Ontario plant makes both the Civic and the very popular CR-V. It has a total production capacity for both vehicles of 390,000, of which c. 100,000 are Civics destined for the United States. The Alliston, Ontario plant has been making Civics since 1988. If you are waiting for the special Civic Si, I think that will be produced exclusively in Canada. My brother-in-law owned a 2012 Civic Si made in this plant, and it was assembled absolutely perfectly as far as I could tell. And it was a blast to drive! He used to let me take it out, but then he traded it in on a new 2015 CR-V Touring, which is very nice, but not quite as exciting for me personally.

As it says above, the Civic has been the best selling car in Canada for 17 years. I'm certain at this point that the Civic will extend its sales success there as well as here.

https://www.honda.ca/honda-in-canada/manufacturing

Last edited:

martyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boring Accord family hauler
Great news. :thumbsup: So will the Civics produced there only be bound for Canada sales or other markets also?

OP
OP

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
Great news. :thumbsup: So will the Civics produced there only be bound for Canada sales or other markets also?
The Ontario plant produces mainly for Canada and the United States, but I think Alliston also makes vehicles in smaller numbers for about half a dozen other countries as well.

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
Cars will be at dealerships in no time. Can't wait to check em out.

Build them good our friends up north!

Tony503

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic HB Sport Touring
Country flag
I'm interpreting this to mean that there will be no Si hatch, at least not in Canada if they're saying every Si sold in Canada will be made in Canada. It wouldn't make sense for them to import the regular hatch but make the Si hatch domestically.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm interpreting this to mean that there will be no Si hatch, at least not in Canada if they're saying every Si sold in Canada will be made in Canada. It wouldn't make sense for them to import the regular hatch but make the Si hatch domestically.
ALL the hatches are being imported, so there really isn't any way of telling at this point. But i speculated that the hatch will only come in Turbo guise on a condensed trim scheme potentially and Type R variation with probably no Si variant (for now)... They're gonna test the waters and see how the hatch sells here, if there is high enough demand i could see them shifting some production of the hatch here in the future in order to expand the hatch trim lineup.

OP
OP

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
My guess is that there will be a Civic Si hatchback to compete with the GTI.

jdewd250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean blue EX hatch has joined my 2016 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
I found this too

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic production has begun! Civic_Line_Off_HCM_edit

jdewd250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean blue EX hatch has joined my 2016 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
I wonder how many units a day they are pumping out, and what the different percentage of trims are?

I'm sure they are pumping out a lot more LX since that is what they sell more of.
Sponsored