2016 Honda Civic production begins at Indiana plant (updated w/ production line videos)

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Might make repairs easier for body shops after collisions too I suppose, unbolt and replace over cutting and welding.
Yeah it will. Over the years I have done a few collision repairs were it seriously would have been nice if the front sub-assembly was removable. I have seen lots of cars with relatively minor front end damage that are a PITA for a DIY'er to fix because they don't have welding equipment.

Also, I have seen a few Honda's that had rusted out front clip that were basically un-repairable or too expensive to fix. Although this looks to use mostly aluminum, it'll make future repairs by a DIY'er much easier
Sponsored

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
Well, now I want to go on a tour, is this offered there? I tried to tour Toyota's largest plant a few months back but they were closing for the day early for some reason and I was not going to be around the next day to see it so I missed out. I'm a geek and just marvel at all the automation and computers making these lines work. Even my wife said it would be cool to see what all is involved.
I don't think it is offered at this plant (though I'm not certain), but I believe you can tour the Marysville, OH plant.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Maybe Honda was watching our arguing over the Si and realized there is a ton negative feelings about a 1.5T Si, so maybe they have to scrap the 1.5T Si idea and go ahead and get the turbo K20 ready.....I can wait!!
I would like to think they want our input ha.

///Mookster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
During assembly the workers can walk right in the engine bay area and do assembly work, no need to be leaning over the car reaching down inside there trying to work. Just walk in and work right in front of you. Then the front part is put on there after that work is done. Same strength, but bolts right in and no welds. Might make repairs easier for body shops after collisions too I suppose, unbolt and replace over cutting and welding.
Wouldn't a welded front end section be stronger than one that's bolted in?

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Maybe Honda was watching our arguing over the Si and realized there is a ton negative feelings about a 1.5T Si, so maybe they have to scrap the 1.5T Si idea and go ahead and get the turbo K20 ready.....I can wait!!
The Si engine is definitely a topic of conversation. the 1.5 t is not out of the question it is 200 lbs lighter then current Si engine and with the right Turbo you could be at 205 hp and lb torque which doesn't seem like "much better" then current but it would scream past that civic.

CaptK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru XV Crosstek
We know they read these forums so anything is possible :) I'll take a delay with the proper engine/transmission pairing than have to live with an entire generation of the Civic having people say "it would be so great if only...." Some of the sedan reviews already seemed to lean that way despite the mostly positive feedback.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
We know they read these forums so anything is possible :) I'll take a delay with the proper engine/transmission pairing than have to live with an entire generation of the Civic having people say "it would be so great if only...." Some of the sedan reviews already seemed to lean that way despite the mostly positive feedback.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
If they can get 300 plus horse out of a 2.0 don't see why they can't get 220 out of 1.5

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
HondaPro Jason's 5-minute tour of Honda's Indiana factory:

jdewd250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean blue EX hatch has joined my 2016 Civic EX sedan
Country flag