2016 Honda Civic production begins at Indiana plant (updated w/ production line videos)

Moichi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fit & CR-V
Country flag
Nice job Randy. Do we know that the coupe, hatch and sedan will all be made on the same line?

Shortbus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Fit Blue Sensation
@randY49 Great videos thx for taking them. Did they mention anything at all during your visit about the coupe or Si models timing? Maybe even a wink or smile ;)

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
@randY49 Great videos thx for taking them. Did they mention anything at all during your visit about the coupe or Si models timing? Maybe even a wink or smile ;)
The best I got was a "few months" for the coupe, but unfortunately there was also mention of a delay in the Si due to a couple snags still in the production process. No details were shared about what the delay is related to or what timeline that might put it on. As an enthusiast I sure hope it's weeks or less and not months or more. For now, look for the Coupe first and the Si at a later date.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
I am sure they have gone back to the drawing board multiple times with Si engine and transmission choices. Probably the only thing they know for sure right now is exactly how it will look. Which is enough for us! ha Show us!

10thG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
The best I got was a "few months" for the coupe, but unfortunately there was also mention of a delay in the Si due to a couple snags still in the production process. No details were shared about what the delay is related to or what timeline that might put it on. As an enthusiast I sure hope it's weeks or less and not months or more. For now, look for the Coupe first and the Si at a later date.
I'm surprised they even said anything and really hoping that the fact that they did does not mean it is a big delay. If it were a minor issue they may not have mentioned it. Thanks for the info, hoping to hear more at SEMA.

Viet_Racer

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic EM1
Country flag
Here is one of the biggest changes to the production process, the new front-end module.
There seems to be a lot more workers on this line than I've seen in photos of other manufacturer's assembly line photos. Wonder if that's a good or bad thing more human hands are involved in the process.

Innovative that they just have the whole front end basically prefabbed ready to be plugged in.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic production begins at Indiana plant (updated w/ production line videos) Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 9.19.37 AM

Kevin35623

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 honda accord
There seems to be a lot more workers on this line than I've seen in photos of other manufacturer's assembly line photos. Wonder if that's a good or bad thing more human hands are involved in the process.

Innovative that they just have the whole front end basically prefabbed ready to be plugged in.

Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 9.19.37 AM.jpg
My guess is that normally there will not be 4 people on that front end job that's a brand new process and I'm sure those other associates are just there to make sure it is working correctly and the whole pre built front is saving money they can pay a supplier a lot less than what they pay an actually Honda worker to put it together

Razer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda HR-V
Well, now I want to go on a tour, is this offered there? I tried to tour Toyota's largest plant a few months back but they were closing for the day early for some reason and I was not going to be around the next day to see it so I missed out. I'm a geek and just marvel at all the automation and computers making these lines work. Even my wife said it would be cool to see what all is involved.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
So what is the significance of the module front end I could not really hear what the guy was saying? Is it structurally the same or better as a finished product? I did hear something about to get to engine easier? During assemble?

Razer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda HR-V
During assembly the workers can walk right in the engine bay area and do assembly work, no need to be leaning over the car reaching down inside there trying to work. Just walk in and work right in front of you. Then the front part is put on there after that work is done. Same strength, but bolts right in and no welds. Might make repairs easier for body shops after collisions too I suppose, unbolt and replace over cutting and welding.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
During assembly the workers can walk right in the engine bay area and do assembly work, no need to be leaning over the car reaching down inside there trying to work. Just walk in and work right in front of you. Then the front part is put on there after that work is done. Same strength, but bolts right in and no welds. Might make repairs easier for body shops after collisions too I suppose, unbolt and replace over cutting and welding.
Thanks for answering. Thats really cool. I know those engine bays are getting ridiculously tight so that makes sense.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Maybe Honda was watching our arguing over the Si and realized there is a ton negative feelings about a 1.5T Si, so maybe they have to scrap the 1.5T Si idea and go ahead and get the turbo K20 ready.....I can wait!!
Sponsored