RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why? If both auto and manual are offered on Si that means more choices for everyone?
Exactly. Every other sport model compact on the market like the GTI offers an auto. There are so many Civic Si purists that just hate the idea of the Si getting an auto, like it somehow ruins their driving experience. The DCT from the ILX would be perfect in the Si and it would broaden the appeal to more customers and make more sales, and that's what selling cars is pretty much all about. They just don't like that the Si will lose some of its exclusivity if they offer an auto and more people start buying them. Well some people don't want to deal with a manual transmission, i do 90% city driving, stop and go constantly. But i want a sporty reliable car for weekend country driving. A quick shifting DCT auto in the Si would be my ideal car, people need to stop being so upset that their manual only car would suddenly appeal to a larger audience and lose some of its exclusivity.

I've been in forums for the 8th and 9th gen civics since i was in high school. In my experience the Si owners end up ruining forums talking down to everyone else. "Shoulda got an Si" every single time someone talks about modding a regular civic. Instead of being part of the civic community as whole they put themselves on a pedestal above everyone else and the Si being a manual only car plays a big part in that i think. Because some people don't know how to drive a manual or do too much city driving to be bothered with it so they got a regular civic with an auto and wanna do performance mods. Why can't we all just get along and be a part of the community without bashing one persons personal choices over anothers.

Ok, end rant. lol.
Sponsored

Last edited:

asiandeity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Civic SI, 2017 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I understand both sides of the argument here. I currently own a '07 Civic SI and do a lot of city driving during rush hour. During those times, I wish I had an automatic. But there are times when I'm glad to have a stick so I can downshift and weave through traffic. My ideal car would be a 300+ HP DCT Honda compact. I would have been against an automatic SI, but since the Type R is coming and that's what I'm planning to get, it doesn't matter to me what drivetrain(s) the SI will get. I'm leaning more towards the automatic argument so it will appeal to more people and strengthen the brand.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's a good point as well. The Si is no longer going to be the top of the line sporty civic. Offering that in a manual only makes sense (i doubt the ILX DCT could handle the power as is). But with the Si moving to more of a midrange sport position they should broaden its appeal and steal back some of those sales they lose to the GTI, Veloster Turbo, Kia Forte Koup that all offer autos on their sporty 200+hp versions. I understand being a sports car purist and wanting a true driving experience... i'm not saying get rid of the manual for those who want it. But give those who don't need/don't want a manual a sporty auto option.

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
Exactly. Every other sport model compact on the market like the GTI offers an auto. There are so many Civic Si purists that just hate the idea of the Si getting an auto, like it somehow ruins their driving experience. The DCT from the ILX would be perfect in the Si and it would broaden the appeal to more customers and make more sales, and that's what selling cars is pretty much all about. They just don't like that the Si will lose some of its exclusivity if they offer an auto and more people start buying them. Well some people don't want to deal with a manual transmission, i do 90% city driving, stop and go constantly. But i want a sporty reliable car for weekend country driving. A quick shifting DCT auto in the Si would be my ideal car, people need to stop being so upset that their manual only car would suddenly appeal to a larger audience and lose some of its exclusivity.

I've been in forums for the 8th and 9th gen civics since i was in high school. In my experience the Si owners end up ruining forums talking down to everyone else. "Shoulda got an Si" every single time someone talks about modding a regular civic. Instead of being part of the civic community as whole they put themselves on a pedestal above everyone else and the Si being a manual only car plays a big part in that i think. Because some people don't know how to drive a manual or do too much city driving to be bothered with it so they got a regular civic with an auto and wanna do performance mods. Why can't we all just get along and be a part of the community without bashing one persons personal choices over anothers.

Ok, end rant. lol.
It's not the exclusivity I'm worried about, it's the tradition and heritage of Si that's at stake. The Si has always been a manual and it always should be. It's supposed to be a "drivers" car, not a "commuters" car. During the week, you wonder what the hell you were thinking buying a car with a manual, but the reward you get on the weekend when you're on those country roads with a proper manual makes the previous five days worth it.

I am not one to comment on or talk down to anyone and I don't feel like my comment did that, nor do I feel like I'm on a pedestal or think of myself as being above everyone else because I drive an Si. Please feel free to modify whatever Civic you drive, I just continue to hope the Si stays manual-only.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
It's not the exclusivity I'm worried about, it's the tradition and heritage of Si that's at stake. The Si has always been a manual and it always should be. It's supposed to be a "drivers" car, not a "commuters" car. During the week, you wonder what the hell you were thinking buying a car with a manual, but the reward you get on the weekend when you're on those country roads with a proper manual makes the previous five days worth it.

I am not one to comment on or talk down to anyone and I don't feel like my comment did that, nor do I feel like I'm on a pedestal or think of myself as being above everyone else because I drive an Si. Please feel free to modify whatever Civic you drive, I just continue to hope the Si stays manual-only.
Civic del sol Si could be had with automatic.

all generations of Prelude Si could also be had with automatic.

I don't care if the Si gets an automatic. They'd better not put a 1.5T in it.

Balsy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Civic Si Coupe

Ok, end rant. lol.
"Every other sport model compact on the market like the GTI offers an auto". Well, for example, the Focus ST is manual only.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

First, i wasn't specifically saying your comment was putting anyone down. I was just saying that in my past experience thats what happens on these forums. The Si drivers troll the non-Si modification threads and bash other civic drivers to the point that the forum is no longer fun to post in.

Secondly, i don't see how adding an automatic option would somehow ruin the heritage and tradition of the Si. Now, if they decided to take away the manual all together and make it only an automatic? That would ruin it's heritage. But adding an additional option to help expand the desirability of the Si to a larger spectrum of people doesn't at all do that in my opinion. Why can't the Si be both a comfortable daily driver and a drivers car? Why does it have to be exclusive? People who feel that way can have their manual transmission. The rest of us can tick that option box and get an auto. No heritage ruined. There's just as many people that feel the Si going turbo also spits in the face of everything the Si stands for... and yet it seems to be going that route this time around, and that's not just an option. If they turbo the Si it'll be a standard feature, gone is the heritage of the high revving NA engine that the Si flaunted for so long. That seems like more of a viable complaint than adding a quick shifting sport DCT option to the Si in terms of "ruining the heritage".

Also, in terms of saying you don't seek to put anyone down or post negative comments, "Worst idea ever" in reply to my comment about the DCT was pretty negative. Instead of explaining yourself initially you just felt it necessary to call out my opinion as terrible without any reasoning or justification. I'll chock it up to a miscommunication.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ken

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also, in terms of saying you don't seek to put anyone down or post negative comments, "Worst idea ever" in reply to my comment about the DCT was pretty negative. Instead of explaining yourself initially you just felt it necessary to call out my opinion as terrible without any reasoning or justification. I'll chock it up to a miscommunication.
I'll let this be after this, because it's one of those things we can agree to disagree on. However, in your initial comment you said nothing of a DCT, you said "automatic". I understand that the DCT acts as an automatic, but it is very different in both design and functionality.

Backstrom

Threads
Reaction score
It is interesting to me about the Si going turbo for this next platform. To me that just means a lot more out of the box room moddability, just turn up the boost for cheap power. I never thought of it as a "heritage" issue for the Si but I guess that is true.

As for the Si crowd bashing the non-Si crowd, one should keep in mind there is always a more powerful, more performance oriented car out there above yours. The Type R crowd may have something to say about that. :p

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll let this be after this, because it's one of those things we can agree to disagree on. However, in your initial comment you said nothing of a DCT, you said "automatic". I understand that the DCT acts as an automatic, but it is very different in both design and functionality.
Ah, well if it makes a difference I've made other posts about an Auto Si and always meant the DCT in that regard. The ILX DCT specifically would be a perfect fit for the power and performance of the Si. Again, don't know if that makes a difference in the justification of an auto transmission, i wouldn't want to see a traditional auto in the Si either, god forbid a CVT (tho it works well for the base civics) if they do have an auto option for the Si, it would HAVE to be a DCT with paddle shifters.

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Civic del sol Si could be had with automatic.

all generations of Prelude Si could also be had with automatic.

I don't care if the Si gets an automatic. They'd better not put a 1.5T in it.
Correct, I should have been more specific and said "Civic Si has always been manual".

Golf6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK6 Golf
This is the first I remember DCT being brought up as a possible transmission. Any rumors that may be true? I've only heard of CVT as the 'auto' transmission that's coming.

Would LOVE to have DCT so I hope it's more than a rumor.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They haven't really given ANY info on the next Si.... other than the fact its coming after the sedan and coupe hit the market. They haven't said what engine it might get. At this point it could be 1 of 3. the 1.5T uptuned to Si standards, the 2.0T from the type R tuned down or they could stick with the 2.4 earth dreams engine.... The possibility of adding a DCT is speculated mostly because of the ILX application which makes similar numbers to the current Si.

dirtybird222

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 STI, 1994 Accord Chumpcar
Honda is pretty good about keeping things true to their roots as far as a manual goes. If it's a sporty model it will have a manual. Every civic si ever, rsx type-s, nsx, s2000, etc. I wouldn't worry and I doubt it'll get an auto unless it's the 8speed DCT from the ILX/TLX.
Sponsored