xs.alex1117

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
So yesterday I was on my way home from work blasting my so on the coldest setting like always… I get home and turn off the car and then need to go to the store about 1hr later. I hop in the car and turn on the A/C and notice it’s now only blowing hot air. I’ve tried pressing every button and nothing . I bought a guage to check my refrigerant levels but I don’t know if I’m using it correctly. When I go to attach it to my low side and turn in the car and AC to max and the guage doesn’t move or do anything it just stays at a random number …. Any ideas on what I should look for or what I can check ? I’m kinda mechanically inclined.
Sponsored

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Condenser issue . Well know and often discuss here .
Honda give extended warranty on condenser.
À $300 job on any A/C shop

Many dealers want to replace the ( good working ) compressor in same time, not on warranty, to make some money with you ..........

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
If the system has a leak and is low on refrigerant, as a safety issue, the computer will not activate the compressor if the pressures are too low or too high in order to prevent compressor damage. If you really don't know what you are doing, I would take it to a dealer. I say Honda dealer vs independent show because while the independent shop may be a cheaper labor rate, they don't have the ability to warranty a failure if it's out of the warranty period. Hooking up those random cans of refrigerant is not always a good idea either.

The newer civics have a different type of refrigerant, R1234yf. The older stuff uses cheaper R134a. A lot of people unknowingly buy the cheaper stuff in a can at an autoparts store and force the fitting on the low side port and proceed to cross-contaminate the system. You CANNOT mix these types of refrigerants and it requires a special procedure to then clear this mixed system.
Sponsored