merrittman

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic ext
Country flag
Early February while driving down to Vancouver from Fort St. John the Emissions warning popped up onto my dash. I immediately called my Honda Service shop and they said that because of the temperature at the time there may have been ice on one of the sensors and not to worry about anything. I continued on driving and the Emission System Failure warning continued even though the temperature in Vancouver was around 10 degrees. I called Honda because their theory on the cold temperature was incorrect.

By now all the warnings you see in the video were showing on start up (like 90% of the time, sometimes they wouldn't show) and Honda attempted at clearing the codes on several occasions because they couldn't find any issue. Last week they changed the ECU/PCM and said that solved the problem. It did for the first 20 minutes after leaving the shop but the warnings showed up again all of a sudden like an hour ago while driving on the highway. This time however, the engine light was flashing and the cruise control just stopped. Pressing the accelerator didn't provide any power to the car so now it's at home sitting. Going to bring it to the shop tomorrow morning.

What issue do you think could be the problem? I don't want to diss my Honda Service shop but they took forever to diagnose the issue as the ECU/PCM and obviously that isn't even it.

Thoughts?

Sponsored

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
man, are you really at 150K km on your 16 civic? how is it holding up (besides this issue)? any issue with carbon build up?

OP
OP

merrittman

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic ext
Country flag
Yeah 1000 more than that now. Only other issue is a creaking noise occurring when driving over bumps. Tried to have it diagnosed a few times with no luck and a ball bearing at like 30,000 or so.

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you have a scan tool? plug it in and get the error codes if there are any. When my car had a misfire due to a dud injector, all my warning lights came on as well.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i would check the battery tension and connections first. Anyway disconnect the battery for a while and clean the poles. It worked in many similar cases in china.

OP
OP

merrittman

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic ext
Country flag
Update

These errors were popping up due to fuel injectors that needed to be replaced and the oil dilution issue.

With the emission system warning (because of the oil dilution), I was getting lower fuel mileage and was not able to remote start car, or lock it manually while it was running.

Car is now at 194,000 km and running strong
Sponsored