randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
Not increasing the wheelbase but increasing the car length makes the car look even longer and better than by increasing the wheelbase and shortening the overhangs.

And I don't think the increased interior room is an unintentional result of a long wheelbase. It's definitely intentional. It may not be a common complaint but Honda is still gunning for best interior space in class. Stuff like that sells cars... maybe not to us enthusiasts but to general public.
Yeah, but isn't that what the Accord is for?

I look at it this way, which is just my opinion. Example A: 2016 Honda HR-V; Example B: 2016 Civic.

Honda targeted young buyers with HR-V, a CUV that is smaller than any they currently offer (in fact, it is very close in size to the original CR-V) and sales are exceeding expectations to the point that they can't keep them on dealer lots. Honda claims to be aiming for the same demographic (albeit one that values sportiness) with Civic, but made it larger to the point that it could be mistaken for an Accord.

If someone asked me to redesign something and make it sportier than the current version, my first thought wouldn't be to make it bigger. I sincerely hope the Coupe and Si are on shorter wheelbases.
Sponsored

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, but isn't that what the Accord is for?

I look at it this way, which is just my opinion. Example A: 2016 Honda HR-V; Example B: 2016 Civic.

Honda targeted young buyers with HR-V, a CUV that is smaller than any they currently offer (in fact, it is very close in size to the original CR-V) and sales are exceeding expectations to the point that they can't keep them on dealer lots. Honda claims to be aiming for the same demographic (albeit one that values sportiness) with Civic, but made it larger to the point that it could be mistaken for an Accord.

If someone asked me to redesign something and make it sportier than the current version, my first thought wouldn't be to make it bigger. I sincerely hope the Coupe and Si are on shorter wheelbases.
I figure they probably will go on shorter wheel bases, as they almost always have...

As for size growth, as others have said, interior space is a selling point to the average buyer. And the average american just keeps growing in size as well... so car makers have to keep that in mind. Heck, i have a friend that CANT own a civic... he's too tall... his legs were so long they hit the dash even with the seat all the way back. So he was forced to spend more money on the bigger accord.

I also reserve final judgement until the final size specs are released. I love they made it lower and i really like the width increase. I have a feeling that the length increase is so marginal in reality that it will be a non issue. The bigger size is visual illusion from the fastback styling.

Also, with the tech and science in the car market today bigger certainly doesn't mean a loss of sporty attributes. Heck, even the lowly accord posts GTI-esque skidpad numbers. Go upmarket and look at cars like the Audi A8 that have insanely quick and precise handling, and those cars are huge. Maybe not, nimble, but precise and sporty none the less.

Golf6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK6 Golf
I agree with you that a big car can still be sporty. Look at the muscle cars, no one will ever question that they are 'sporty' in the sense that they are meant for fun, spirited/performance driving but they have grown to be really porky over the years. But the civic has always also been heralded for its nimbleness and responsiveness on the road or track. The A8 or other sporty big cars were never created with that in mind. I also think it's part of the gift and curse of being an iconic car that has been around for so long. Bigger and heavier has been a trend that's affected all cars throughout the years but it's so much more noticeable on a car that has decades worth of lighter previous versions to compare against.

kidboise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Accord, 1972 Z600
Vehicle Showcase
The new Civic looks to be verging on the size of my first car, a 1996 Accord. I always loved that car's size, so I really don't mind. That Accord was so good to me that I thought I would always own them. My 2003 is frankly better in almost every way (that K24 and manual trans are really good) but even it's pushing things size-wise. I'm looking at buying a new car and the Accords are just looking too big for me now. So I'm pretty excited about this new Civic. I think I was putting a little too much stock in the nameplate. IMO, as long a Honda has a smaller car to offer, I don't really see a problem. And I don't see the Fit getting to big for most people anytime soon.

Shortbus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Fit Blue Sensation
The new Civic looks to be verging on the size of my first car, a 1996 Accord. I always loved that car's size, so I really don't mind. That Accord was so good to me that I thought I would always own them. My 2003 is frankly better in almost every way (that K24 and manual trans are really good) but even it's pushing things size-wise. I'm looking at buying a new car and the Accords are just looking too big for me now. So I'm pretty excited about this new Civic. I think I was putting a little too much stock in the nameplate. IMO, as long a Honda has a smaller car to offer, I don't really see a problem. And I don't see the Fit getting to big for most people anytime soon.
Welcome to the site. To me all the models have moved upmarket so the new Civic is in the Accord's slot from a decade ago in terms of size and pricing probably. You'll probably feel right at home in the 10th gen. The refinement and technology are gonna be a big jump for you tho!

manhunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas
The Civic is a wayyy cooler nameplate than the Accord anyway, if that matters to you. The Accord really is a big vehicle. The more I think about it the more I think it makes sense to have several different wheelbase lengths for the different Civic trims. The sedan can attract those who need near-Accord level interior room and comfort but still want a sporty look. The coupe and hatch can attract the younger or enthusiast crowd and also bring back some sports car lovers into the fold who may have been shopping for the Focus, Golf, etc.

LBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z
Cars really rarely get sportier than current versions they just get more 'mature' which is usually code for bigger and duller. I'd like to believe Honda's talk about the Civic returning to sportiness but part of me is skeptical because rarely are larger and more refined cars sportier. So I can't wait to read the reviews to see if Honda really backed up their sportiness claim or if that was just marketing talk. After seeing the reviews for the Type R I hope they're able to keep that formula together for the next gen.

Kane76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 TL
Cars really rarely get sportier than current versions they just get more 'mature' which is usually code for bigger and duller. I'd like to believe Honda's talk about the Civic returning to sportiness but part of me is skeptical because rarely are larger and more refined cars sportier. So I can't wait to read the reviews to see if Honda really backed up their sportiness claim or if that was just marketing talk. After seeing the reviews for the Type R I hope they're able to keep that formula together for the next gen.
It's not like companies want to spend more money to make cars more mature and refined because they hate sporty cars. They do it because they need to compete with other companies that are doing it and so theirs cars are competitive for customers.

Customers' tastes are shifting from smaller sportier cars to cars with more utility and practicality, so cars are getting bigger/more refined, and less sporty in general. That's just what the consumers are voting for with their wallets and what the companies are giving them. If customers tastes shifted back towards more bare bones sports cars you'd then see companies making them left and right.

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
It's not like companies want to spend more money to make cars more mature and refined because they hate sporty cars. They do it because they need to compete with other companies that are doing it and so theirs cars are competitive for customers.

Customers' tastes are shifting from smaller sportier cars to cars with more utility and practicality, so cars are getting bigger/more refined, and less sporty in general. That's just what the consumers are voting for with their wallets and what the companies are giving them. If customers tastes shifted back towards more bare bones sports cars you'd then see companies making them left and right.
How can consumers shift back to smaller cars when all the automakers continue making cars larger?

Kane76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 TL
How can consumers shift back to smaller cars when all the automakers continue making cars larger?
My point was that it's the consumers who are dictating what gets made. If consumers didn't like buying larger and larger cars, sales would drop, profits would drop, and companies would react by making smaller cars instead. Companies make whatever will give the best sales, so ultimately its the consumer who decides what gets made.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My point was that it's the consumers who are dictating what gets made. If consumers didn't like buying larger and larger cars, sales would drop, profits would drop, and companies would react by making smaller cars instead. Companies make whatever will give the best sales, so ultimately its the consumer who decides what gets made.
Agree. But for people to shift back to liking smaller cars again americans need to put down the sodas and burgers and go on a diet... haha. Heck, it isn't even just the weight problem, americans are tall as crap too. I had a friend who couldn't even fit comfortably in my civic (9th gen). His legs were too long and hit the dash even with the seat all the way back. And with cars like the civic trying to appeal to "everyone" a bit of interior growth is needed which usually leads to exterior growth.

That said, i'm not really upset with the marginal growth the civic has made. Any growth in length seems well worth the sexier profile of the car and the new wider stance which will help handling in a big way.

Ammo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion SEL

Yes and no.

While the CUV space is growing, so is the small sport sedan segment. 3 Series, A4, C-Class, A3, CLA. All growing. Only the Mazda3 offers a similar experience in non-luxury territory and it looks like Honda wants to be in that space too, which is a win for all.

Kane76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 TL
Yes and no.

While the CUV space is growing, so is the small sport sedan segment. 3 Series, A4, C-Class, A3, CLA. All growing. Only the Mazda3 offers a similar experience in non-luxury territory and it looks like Honda wants to be in that space too, which is a win for all.
I always thought the Accord as Honda's small sport sedan segment but it's never been sporty or exciting enough. If the Civic is moving into that space with the right formula and combination of sportiness and refinement then more power to Honda. The small sports sedan segment is a huge pie that the Civic can definitely carve out a piece from if it's as good as billed.

M1160

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots of Uber
Yes and no.

The Civic sedan will basically be competing in the same segment based on size. The 9th gen is 178.1 in long and assuming the 10th gen grows by about 1.5 inches, it'll be about 179.5 inches length. That's just 2.5 inches shorter than 3 Series, 2.8 inches shorter than CLA and actually 4 inches longer than the A3. It'll be interesting to see if it can offer a lot of the same experience but at a much lower price tag.

Brett Bynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 honda fit sport
We've just caught the 2016 Honda Civic Coupe up close for the first time!

Although much of the exterior remains camouflaged, we get a close look at the new roofline which carries down to a wider, lower, sportier and more aggressive look.

The interior is all-new -- showing vastly improved interior quality including aluminum accent pieces, leather stitching on the steering wheel and door panels, multi-color seats and contrast stitching on the seats. More luxury amenities including a large 8" wide nav screen (even bigger if measured diagonally), lane departure warning and forward collision alert.

The 2016 Civic coupe is expected to arrive in early 2016.

Civic Exposed_001.jpg
Civic Exposed_002.jpg
Civic Exposed_003.jpg
Civic Exposed_004.jpg
Civic Exposed_005.jpg
Civic Exposed_006.jpg
Civic Exposed_007.jpg
Civic Exposed_008.jpg
Civic Exposed_009.jpg
Civic Exposed_010.jpg
Civic Exposed_011.jpg
Civic Exposed_012.jpg