2016 Honda Civic Coupe Earns IIHS Top Safety Pick+ Award (Crash Test Video)

alfred1976

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si

ARLINGTON, Va. — The redesigned 2-door Honda Civic earns the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's TOP SAFETY PICK+ award when equipped with an available front crash prevention system, which earns a superior rating.

Like the previous version of the small car, the 2016 model earns good ratings in the Institute's small overlap front, moderate overlap front, side, roof strength and head restraint evaluations.

A new feature is the optional front crash prevention system. In IIHS track tests at 12 mph and 25 mph, a two-door Civic equipped with the technology avoided collisions. The system also includes a forward collision warning system that meets National Highway Traffic Safety Administration criteria.

The 4-door Civic's TOP SAFETY PICK+ award was announced earlier.

To qualify for the Institute's top award a vehicle must have good ratings in all five crashworthiness tests and an available front crash prevention system that earns an advanced or superior rating.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/two-door-honda-civic-earns-top-safety-pick-award
Sponsored

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
Well everyone was talking about how much worse coupes are then the less rigid sedans so yea good to hear but not a surprise.
? in general sedans are MORE rigid than coupes. Are the civics different?

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
? in general sedans are MORE rigid than coupes. Are the civics different?
Yes sedans are normally better in safety torsional rigidity. Smaller doors etc on a side crash the sedan would be better. But yes they did make sure the coupe was as safe as possible for the new generation. Camaro mustangs and challenger are horrible on all crash tests. So this is the safest coupe out of the cheaper coupes for sure.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Camaro and Mustang fail at this test terribly because they are heavier increasing more Kinetic Energy with a wall. The civic is just well engineered weight vs strength to perform in this test with flying colors. So when a Civic is involved in a crash on its own KE you will be safe. But if a Camaro or Mustang at 55mph + your 2016 Civic 55mph=110mph hit head on? The 2016 Civic will not win. Just saying the right KE advantage and a blade of straw can cut a telephone pole in half. Like take a baseball and throw it into a steal wall and it just stops and drops to the floor. Now throw it at home plate and watch Barry Bonds hit it out of the park. Hahaha. Let's try that test Honda... :)

Last edited:

CanadaNeal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring White Orchid Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't want to watch that video, but I'm glad I did. I feel even more in love with this car after seeing now well it will protect me and my family/friends, should something disastrous happen. I'm still wading trough the 589 page (!) manual and finding so many new things to like about this vehicle. It has as much depth of character as some people I know! A real 'personality' on wheels. Too cool :cool: !