2016 Honda Civic 1.5T and 2.0L engines technical presentation (specs, pics, videos)

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
Just guessing, but I think Honda's going to want an Si that's best-in-class. That's their attitude as a company now, top to bottom. I think they want to exceed, just by a little bit, the VW GTI 2.0, and to do that they need to put in their 2.0 in the Si imho.
Sponsored

Kane76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 TL
The Si Really needs to be offered in a non CVT auto. The NSX will have an auto? Good automatics should not be considered a non performance car.
The good thing is the Si will come at laest with a manual. Still don't know how they decided to give a manual option to only the LX model on the sedan so far.

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
The good thing is the Si will come at laest with a manual. Still don't know how they decided to give a manual option to only the LX model on the sedan so far.
I'm not sure, but I wonder if the manual in for the 2.0 NA was strong enough to handle the power of the turbo? Just a guess, but maybe not over c. 20 years and 200k miles? In that case they'd need to develop a new manual, or maybe bring one over from the Accord? The Civic Turbo is paired with a version of the Accord's heavy duty CVT, to handle the extra power and torque, while the 2.0 gets an updated version of the CVT from the last generation of Civic.

Kane76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 TL
I'm not sure, but I wonder if the manual in for the 2.0 NA was strong enough to handle the power of the turbo? Just a guess, but maybe not over c. 20 years and 200k miles? In that case they'd need to develop a new manual, or maybe bring one over from the Accord? The Civic Turbo is paired with a version of the Accord's heavy duty CVT, to handle the extra power and torque, while the 2.0 gets an updated version of the CVT from the last generation of Civic.
Is the manual for the LX model different than the one in the Accord?

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I will add a couple more thoughts:
  • A water cooled exhaust manifold & turbo means a simple gravity drain/refill will only account for 60% of the coolant. Honda will likely recommend a full coolant flush at service interval.
  • The oil filter appears to be near the oil pan and easily accessible (fingers crossed!).
  • Not a lot of room to work on the 1.5T vs. the NA 2.0. The tensioner, water pump, and thermostat will all likely require removal of the IC piping to access. Not a bad thing, just lots of extra labor hours for simple maintenance.

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
Added some images of the engines and transmissions.
So we finally can see where the oil filter is on the 1.5T. It appears to be on the bottom front. I'll have to reserve judgement till I actually do an oil change, but that location seems like a big improvement in access over the backside, pointing-straight-back on my K20A3.

The accessory loads for the 2.0L are right up front and easy to get to. The 1.5T suffers a little in comparison because Honda had to relocate the alternator to the back of the engine to make room for the intercooler intake. First HO2 sensor access is a bit easier on the 2.0L also.

Last edited:

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
Part 2 of the Video. Says they focused on durability with special metals for the turbo. Also says, unfortunately, that using premium fuel won't really increase power. But power with regular is already very good. The Si no doubt will be tuned for premium, and may get the 2.0 as well, although that's just my speculation--he doesn't say that:

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
Sodium-cooled exhaust valves and a mechanical high-pressure fuel pump! Didn't see that coming!
Well it is direct injection so that needs a high pressure cam driven pump. What I found interesting, and what they have learned from older DI/Turbo platforms is #1 the shape of the piston on the exhaust side looks like it will prevent fuel from pooling there and igniting against the side, and #2 this runs much higher pressure than my mazdaspeed 3 which was about 1600-1800psi. Using 1 megapascal = 145psi, this seems to be running 2600-2900psi.

LennyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic EX Coupe, '04 Mazdaspeed Miata
I don't understand how Honda can run its 16.5 psi boost turbo engine on 87 octane gasoline. That kind of boost raises the effective compression ratio sky-high. All of the high-boost turbo engines I'm familiar with need the highest octane fuel they can get. Does anyone know how Honda has managed this feat?

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
I don't understand how Honda can run its 16.5 psi boost turbo engine on 87 octane gasoline. That kind of boost raises the effective compression ratio sky-high. All of the high-boost turbo engines I'm familiar with need the highest octane fuel they can get. Does anyone know how Honda has managed this feat?
Well all of Hyundai's current turbos in the Veloster and Sonata/Kia optima run on 87 octane. The Focus ST while premium is recommended can be fine on regular with a slight hp loss.
Sponsored