10thG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
2016 Focus RS was revealed to have 345 hp. Using same engine as the Mustang Ecoboost model but tuned for more power.

2016 Civic Type R has 310hp. How do you guys think they'll compare?
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

BigBang09

nsbryant09
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Former: 2004 Mustang V6, 2008 Civic LX)
On paper, the RS would seem faster (more power and AWD), but who knows how it compares in other areas like handling or braking. I'd have to see a comparison video of some sort. Not even sure they'll be able to get a Nurburgring time in the near future with it, since it's allegedly closed down due to some incident.

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
They will certainly be compared, but there will always be an asterisk next to the Civic (* is not all wheel drive). The handling of the Civic may be better, but it will never match acceleration of all wheel drive.

The Nurburgring isn't closed, they have just enforced speed limits in certain "high-risk" areas, which make any record-breaking attempts impossible (unless you're talking a low-powered car).

M1160

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots of Uber
They will certainly be compared, but there will always be an asterisk next to the Civic (* is not all wheel drive). The handling of the Civic may be better, but it will never match acceleration of all wheel drive.

The Nurburgring isn't closed, they have just enforced speed limits in certain "high-risk" areas, which make any record-breaking attempts impossible (unless you're talking a low-powered car).
I'll take the better handling over slightly better accelerating car. The AWD Focus RS might be faster accelerating but the AWD accel advantage is pretty much only going to be from a stop. On the other hand handling you're going to be able to feel over and over again, not just from a stoplight acceleration.

s2ker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000
Plus AWD adds weight.

And I don't like how the Focus RS looks. It's too upright compared to its width. Current Type R has much better proportions and looks sportier too.

administrator

Administrator
First Name
Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Focus pricing and options revealed - http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-focus-rs-pricing-and-options-accidentally-revealed-online

Wanna see something cool? Head on over to this URL. Looks like a semi-broken Ford website, right? Go ahead and click through to the 2016 Ford Focus section—as of this writing, you can configure a 2016 Ford Focus RS on a website we’re pretty sure Ford didn’t want you to see. There you’ll find that the RS starts at $36,605 including destination and delivery fees.

First discovered by commenters at Jalopnik, the configurator site seems to be a half-built page not meant for public consumption. But while some images and links are broken, the ones we’re interested in all seem to work—namely, the ones that let us click into the Ford Focus subpage and select the RS trim level, with the listed base price of $35,730 and $875 for destination and delivery.

According to the site, the Focus RS comes stock with 18-inch painted aluminum wheels; the upgrade to 19-inch painted forged alloys will set you back $1395, while selecting those 19s wrapped in Michelin Cup tires runs $1990. To our eyes, $595 ain’t bad for a set of Michelin Cups considering they typically run more than $350 each.

Inside, a 10-speaker Sony stereo and partial leather Recaros are standard equipment. Black leather and microsuede upholstery comes as part of the $2785 RS2 package, an option group whose description wasn’t fully populated at time of writing, but which seems to include voice-activated navigation, Sirius XM Traffic, and Travel Link. A power moonroof costs $895. Other option subpages, like Packages and Accessories, were nonfunctional at the time of publication.

If you ask us, $36,605—provided that’s the actual price—seems like a fair deal for an all-wheel-drive, rally-inspired superhatch with 345 horses, 325 ft-lb of torque, and a button for Drift Mode.

hothatchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf Mark5
I was just about to post this. That's pretty good pricing if it ends up true considering the specs. That said this really is not anywhere close to a direct comparison to the Gen X Civic in both price and power.

Emina

Threads
Reaction score
There's a button for drift mode? I must have missed that news. What's with all the electronic gimmicks in these new Fords... buttons for burnouts and drifting. Can't people drive themselves anymore??

Izze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ILX
There's a button for drift mode? I must have missed that news. What's with all the electronic gimmicks in these new Fords... buttons for burnouts and drifting. Can't people drive themselves anymore??
I blame it on too much video games :)

On paper it looks like the Focus RS will hve the current Type R beat in the power and acceleration department but keep in mind Ford had the current Type R to benchmark when developing the RS. I'm sure next Type R based on the Civic X platform will then have the RS beat. It's a game of leapfrog in the auto industry.

At the end of the day it's still a Ford ;)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Civic EX
Country flag
Cool car on paper (never driven one of course) but AWD on regular roads is usually a very boring drive. I'd still take FWD torque steer over that any day.

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
I think the leak was that the Focus RS would be 35K. Do we have any indication or guesses how the next Type R will compare? A domestic car may have an easier leg up here on price.

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
FYI, Ford announced that Focus RS does the 0-100km (62mph) in 4.7 seconds. Pretty freakin fast.

Kane76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 TL
Like the other guys said its AWD so 0-60 is its strength. Let's see how it handles and feels. Ford making some big headlines lately though with its flat plane crank V8 GT350 Mustang which has gotten real good reviews so if the same team worked on this car it's got a good pedigree.

Whoosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Cool car on paper (never driven one of course) but AWD on regular roads is usually a very boring drive. I'd still take FWD torque steer over that any day.
You ever driven a high HP car with torque steer? I imagine it could be a handful.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
As has been said, the AWD is a mixed blessing. Ford is boasting 0-62 in 4.7s (0-60 in 4.6) but this is WRX territory, with MUCH less power (WRX). The 1/4 mile and trap would tell us more.

Remember, Honda has never been into HP wars. They've always focused on "enough" power. NSX, ITR, S2000. However, this new CTR will be "more than enough" power as far as Honda is concerned, but even then you won't be winning any bragging rights. As has always been the case. But, none the less, Honda has still managed to to swing big in the tuner world and is still one of, if not the most popular car for people to "tune".

Anyways, a Ford is a Ford. It's still ugly and even if it does kick butt and offer a good value, I wouldn't own one. I will never give my money to an American company that actively outsources American jobs. Also, we have Fords at my job, ecoboosts and diesels, and these cars do not endear me in any way. They are mostly good cars to be sure, only our Escapes have proven to be grossly defective, but still they don't "do it" for me.
Sponsored