2016 EX-T Smoking

icudruln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
January 10th, 2017: oil change was done at the dealer at approximately 8,000 miles (second oil change).

January 13, 2017: Wife is driving the car at freeway speed, car begins to stutter at cruising speed (minimal load), car won't accelerate but RPM's go up. Car then dies and she pulls to the side of the road and calls me and walks me through what happened. CEL flashed during this process. Car starts and gets home normally.

January 17, 2017: Wife and I are both off work today, so we plan on running errands, etc. I go to back out of the garage, and plenty of greyish black smoke (oil) is visible upon backing out (NOT condensation). We change our plans to take the car to Honda immediately. Car drives fine to the dealer, but does smoke again after having to get on an on ramp.

Honda will be looking at the car this Thursday to try and duplicate the issue. All of this has happened within a week of the car being serviced. I've seen the recalls out for the 2.0 engine, but nothing for this. Has anyone had the same or similar issues? The car is 100% stock, just a commuter car. Just frustrated with the parking brake issue, connection to Apple/Android car play, and now this.
Sponsored

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
oil would be blue

black usually means rich.

since the ecu is flashing, im thinking maybe one of your injectors is stuck causing it to misfire

OP
OP

icudruln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
oil would be blue

black usually means rich.

since the ecu is flashing, im thinking maybe one of your injectors is stuck causing it to misfire
I'll hook up my code reader to see if the code stored (not clear it so Honda can see it too), and see if anything is there. It's definitely like a rich condition; I've had a swapped/turbo EG hatch, and now a Subaru, so I know how that looks. It's nowhere near consistent though. Not at WOT, etc.

SilverGhost

Ktuner tuned X2 CivicX.
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT,2017 Sport Hatchback09 Fit
Vehicle Showcase
I'll hook up my code reader to see if the code stored (not clear it so Honda can see it too), and see if anything is there. It's definitely like a rich condition; I've had a swapped/turbo EG hatch, and now a Subaru, so I know how that looks. It's nowhere near consistent though. Not at WOT, etc.
What's the oil level at?Any oil leaks?Oil on your exhaust system?

chrisliese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic exl-t, 2002 Honda s2000 turbo, 2016 Honda Odyssey
Could this happen due to too much oil in the engine? I have same issue after oil change yesterday

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
More likely to be oil spilt during the oil change being heated/burned off by engine/exhaust. You should be able to detect a strong burning oil smell. Overfill would more likely cause foaming in oil pan and a slight loss of power due to crankshaft/piston rods hitting the oil.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
More likely to be oil spilt during the oil change being heated/burned off by engine/exhaust. You should be able to detect a strong burning oil smell. Overfill would more likely cause foaming in oil pan and a slight loss of power due to crankshaft/piston rods hitting the oil.
I have seen 1990 Honda Civic wagon that was overfilled(not by me obviously), blew oil out the exhaust and then started knocking. Personal experience with overfilled oil is very bad.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I have seen 1990 Honda Civic wagon that was overfilled(not by me obviously), blew oil out the exhaust and then started knocking. Personal experience with overfilled oil is very bad.
Sounds like hydrolock from the bottom end - did it happen as soon as it was started?

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
you will have to overfill it by a lot of oil.. not just 2-3qt

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Off topic, but you already went through 2 oil charges at 8k miles?

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like hydrolock from the bottom end - did it happen as soon as it was started?
Started knocking once they hit 3000rpm on a drive,, must have been so much crankcase pressure, wasn't a good day for the stock engine, it was actually a nice JDM sohc ZC too.

chrisliese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Checking dip stick now. ....First thing I should have done.. daaaaaa

chrisliese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
About 3 inches above the top of the orange plastic guide.
How hard is it to do an freakin oil change. GOD.
First time the dealer only hand tightened the oil drain plug....3 days later on side of road with all the oil on the ground....new turbo and all new panels and cover that were soaked with oil.
Went to a new guy, because RPM auto would not let me supply the oil and filter, and the over filled the oil.
Time to go get a marine oil change pump (slides down the dip stick whole to remove the oil) and do it myself.
Sponsored