2016 Coolant Temp Gauge

iAmjudge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Hello,

I'm really sorry if this is a stupid question but I couldn't really find anything by searching.

I have a 16 Touring I recently purchased and the outside temp has been between -5 - 20F the past couple weeks. I've noticed the temp gauge on the left going down if I'm sitting in traffic too long and not putting much load on the motor.

The heat does cool down a bit but if I jump on the highway or traffic opens then everything goes back to "normal". Is this normal for the civic? I guess I never noticed it on any other cars before, when the gauge levels out it always seemed to stay there, as long as the car was on.

Again, sorry if this is a stupid question.
Sponsored

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello,

I'm really sorry if this is a stupid question but I couldn't really find anything by searching.

I have a 16 Touring I recently purchased and the outside temp has been between -5 - 20F the past couple weeks. I've noticed the temp gauge on the left going down if I'm sitting in traffic too long and not putting much load on the motor.

The heat does cool down a bit but if I jump on the highway or traffic opens then everything goes back to "normal". Is this normal for the civic? I guess I never noticed it on any other cars before, when the gauge levels out it always seemed to stay there, as long as the car was on.

I've noticed this to. It will almost fully be heated up and then I look down after a stop light and it went back down. Probably normal like the other guy said.

Shawn1774

My new ride seexy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic 2009 Ford f250 2002 Ford f250 power stoke
I have the exact same problem, only does it when it's in the single digits though, was thinking that the thermostat was stuck open a little bit but it must be normal

OP
OP

iAmjudge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Thanks everybody. We warmed up today to around 30 degrees and everything was "normal" I was thinking since the motor was so small, but I just wanted to be sure.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Huh, this is the first car I've noticed do this as well. Maybe it was just me being hyper paranoid with the digital gauges, good to know its not just me. Thought I was losing it.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
My shitty 2013 Camry rental looses 1 bar out of 5 too on its gauge. My old vibe GT lost temp too when it gets cold. If you cut the heat it will stop this for those who are newbs.

ropil728

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2017 EX-T
Hello,

Yay! this happened to me last night and it was very cold. I was going to take my car to the dealer but I'm ok now I guess lol(got a bit paranoid).

chisav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Been happening to me since it's gotten below 0F.
Sponsored