2016 Civic - Water in Trunk

Baldrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
Hi all!

My wife's 2016 Civic EX smelled musty so I started looking around. I found the spare tire in three inches of water. The carpet in the trunk was wet too, but I don't know if was just from splashing around.

I took a tail light off and see there's no way it's getting in there. I read somewhere that the sunroof drains could be the culprit. Does anyone know of source of info that could help me diagnose these drains? I can't see any way to access them. Or, if you know somewhere else I might look it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The sunroof drain tubes are down the a-pillar in front. There are rear drain tubes behind the carpet on each side that are easy to get to. First pull off the plastic peace on the back that covers the latch to get to the trunk liners. The liner is two mirrored pieces, each with 4 push pins holding it in. Take those out and behind the liner you'll see the drain tubes and also diaphragm vents. My guess is the drain tubes as the vents shouldn't bring in that much water. Make sure the water channel area next to the rear windshield is free from muck or debris.
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic - Water in Trunk IMG_20200712_171027__01__01
Sponsored