2016 Civic vs 9th gen Civic Si Acceleration Tests by Hondata

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Goes to show that the next Si is going to be insane even if numbers are only 220 hp and 220 lb of torque.
Exactly... instead of thinking of the 1.5T being better than the 2.4 Si we should be excited at how much better the 10th gen Si will be with a turbo and better power figures. Dethrone the VW GTI as the "affordable" compact sports car i'd say assuming the Si will have the same levels of refinement and quality as the regular civics have shown us.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
And your Si is probably broken in and your EX-T not so much. Pretty incredible, all things considered.

tcl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T SOLD June 2016
Vehicle Showcase

We first tried a roll on test with the Si in 6th gear. No contest. Then we tried the Si in 5th. Still no contest. 4th was not going to cut it, so we ran the next test in third; the lowest gear we could use for the speed we were cruising at. This is where the Si was not left to far behind in the side mirror, and the clip we used for the video, showing the Si at its best.

Did your 3rd gear test include the time it took for the SI driver to downshift into 3rd or was that downshift performed before the timed race began?

OP
OP
Hondata

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Si 3rd gear test started with the Si already in third gear so all we had to do was press the accelerators.

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8), 2007 Civic Si (FG2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The tests we ran were real world. At some point we will get both vehicles to the drag strip, but on the streets, the EX Turbo is the faster car - and we own both a 10th Gen EX and 9th Gen Si.

We first tried a roll on test with the Si in 6th gear. No contest. Then we tried the Si in 5th. Still no contest. 4th was not going to cut it, so we ran the next test in third; the lowest gear we could use for the speed we were cruising at. This is where the Si was not left too far behind in the side mirror, and the clip we used for the video, showing the Si at its best.

We then had an impromptu standing start test with the EX in Eco mode. The Si spun its wheels off the line getting the jump. By halfway through third gear the EX had caught up and passed the Si.

The EX could do with a limited slip differential. It tends to spin the inside wheel while cornering with moderate boost.

Take this away from the tests. The EX turbo is a great car as it comes from the factory with great tuning potential. My hat goes off to Honda. They have made a car with fantastic power and better economy than any Honda car we have driven.
This was a great post... thanks for that info... working at a Honda dealership in South Florida, I can certainly tell that the 1.5T for sure pulls harder than my old '06 Si (freak engine)... sadly not as exciting with the limited manual controls... but still impressive and gets your back planted into the seat... i can't wait to see what you guys come up with and i'm really interested to see the dyno results...

sn: the 9th gen Si was always garbage in my eyes... never as fun as the 8th gen...

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
I have been waiting for a test like this. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to test driving my blue coupe sometime soon. Still holding off until we know what the deal is with Si. Auto? Price? Gas mileage. I hate to say this but one thing ford has done lately that I feel is cool is the whole ST stock at 200 hp sipping regular gas. Then a factory tune to 275 then guzzling premium gas is pretty bad A$$. Would love to see them do something like that with the Si. I would like a 200 ish Si that dogs the 9th generation that sips reg gas. And if you get bored take it back to Honda and have them tune it all under warranty for you.

tcl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T SOLD June 2016
Vehicle Showcase
The Si 3rd gear test started with the Si already in third gear so all we had to do was press the accelerators.
Thanks. It sounds like the SI had a more than level playing field since the time it would have taken to manually downshift from a cruising gear to an acceleration gear wasn't included in the test.

Nurburgring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exige, 911, Civic
The tests we ran were real world. At some point we will get both vehicles to the drag strip, but on the streets, the EX Turbo is the faster car - and we own both a 10th Gen EX and 9th Gen Si.
We first tried a roll on test with the Si in 6th gear. No contest. Then we tried the Si in 5th. Still no contest. 4th was not going to cut it, so we ran the next test in third; the lowest gear we could use for the speed we were cruising at. This is where the Si was not left too far behind in the side mirror, and the clip we used for the video, showing the Si at its best.
We then had an impromptu standing start test with the EX in Eco mode. The Si spun its wheels off the line getting the jump. By halfway through third gear the EX had caught up and passed the Si.
The EX could do with a limited slip differential. It tends to spin the inside wheel while cornering with moderate boost.
Take this away from the tests. The EX turbo is a great car as it comes from the factory with great tuning potential. My hat goes off to Honda. They have made a car with fantastic power and better economy than any Honda car we have driven.

Thanks for sharing the results of these tests. Goes to show that area under the curve is always more important than peak hp numbers. This bodes well for the 2.0T Si!

Do you have any initial impressions on how hard will it be to develop the Hondata for the 10th gen? Gains should be even more significant than for previous NA engines.

OP
OP
Hondata

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We are well under way towards a product and making headway daily. We too, are of the impression that the bang for the tuning buck should be much better the 9th Gen Civic and that the FlashPro will lead the list of must have parts.

Last edited:

zshortyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
The car you guys are showing is a touring model but you say you own the ex-t. Same engine just wondering which model it actually is

C Note

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--
We are well under way towards a product and making headway daily. We too, are of the impression that the bank for the tuning buck should be much better the 9th Gen Civic and that the FlashPro will lead the list of must have parts.
That's great news! Finally someone stepping up with some tuning.

Some people have said that CVT equipped cars can't effectively be tuned, but I assume that since you guys are doing so, we'll see a flashpro for the 2016+ Civics with CVT? Still too early to share possible gains?
Sponsored