2016 Civic Touring with Turbo- how long do I need to leave the car running before I can safely take it for regular (highway like) driving?

First Name
Kane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I was told by the mechanic doing pre-purchase inspection on my 2016 touring to wait ten minutes before I go hard on the car because of the turbo engine. He said I should drive the car normally for first ten minutes. I am just not sure what that means really because even normally I need to rev the engine when picking up speed.
Do you guys have any advice?
Sponsored

OhMyItsKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From what I know, you can drive off pretty much as soon as you turn the car on if you're normal driving. However, if you're pushing it hard you're gonna want to wait until the car comes up to temp before doing so.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
10 mins is way too much for that. 5 mins will be sufficient and then drive it slowly till you reach normal operating temp.

Hats_N_Hoodies

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Hatch
Country flag
Letting the engine warm up, sure. But 10 minutes could be the length of the entire drive you plan on making.

websitesdown

First Name
Bee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI , 2023 Civic Sport
Country flag
I let her warm up until she idles down to say 1100 RPMs. Then I drive her normal for about 3 minutes like they said above until she warms up to normal operating temp or right below half way mark on temp. She won't reach normal temp sitting their idle for a long~ time. Let her idle down to 1100 1050 then drive her normal until she hits normal temp.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
With these cars, unless the temps are like sub-zero, you can pretty much drive away after idling 30 seconds max. Just go light on the throttle until you see the temperature gauge move up towards the middle.

Reason being, the car will get to normal operating temps quicker by driving it versus idling for 5-10 minutes.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
The engine warms up much faster by being driven. Don't floor it or drive at high RPMs but you don't need to idle for 10 minutes

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Would be nice if Honda would find a way to display oil and trans temp. It can’t be that expensive ffs

9th gen Si had a cold coolant temp light tgat would display on the dash and disappear when it warmed up. Where the hell did that go?

Last edited:

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
As with any car, turbo or not, take it easy driving until the engine reaches full operating temp.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Would be nice if Honda would find a way to display oil and trans temp. It can’t be that expensive ffs
Thing is, there's a lot of items manufacturers could add that would be of benefit to consumers especially us enthusiasts. But as much as Honda is an engine builder at heart they are also a business trying to tweak their product for as much profit as possible.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
your oil and trans fluid is heated up to the coolant temperature via the oil heater some people call a oil cooler. So just imagine they are 185ish pretty much all the time.

04sthemi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI, 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Country flag
I let her warm up until she idles down to say 1100 RPMs. Then I drive her normal for about 3 minutes like they said above until she warms up to normal operating temp or right below half way mark on temp. She won't reach normal temp sitting their idle for a long~ time. Let her idle down to 1100 1050 then drive her normal until she hits normal temp.
I do pretty much the same, gives me a piece of mind when the rpms get to that about 1100 rpm mark.