2016 Civic Touring vs 2013 Acura TL Elite

GoHabs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Civic
Hello Honda fam!

Totally different class of vehicles, yes, but they're around the same price. The TL is a beast with over 307hp, AWD, ELS sound system, loads of features and great reliability. Plus with the certified used, Acura gives a 7 year, 130,000km (80,000 miles) warranty.

The Touring has every feature imaginable (even more tech than the TL) plus is brand new. I love the styling, fuel efficiency, and peppy motor.

I live in snowy area and even though I've always gotten by with snow tires on fwd cars, the idea of an AWD car is appealing. I currently have a 2008 civic lx and was looking for something quieter, more luxurious, and powerful.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
How many click on the particular one you're looking at and which trim? Big difference between Tech and Advance/Elite

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
77,000km and it's the top of the line Elite trim.
How much will you drive it over the next 3 years?

From what you described, both cars have about 3 years of warranty, and 40k km to go on the Accura and a what ever new mileage the Honda gives (36k miles here in the states).

So if you plan on keeping the car for, say, 5 years, you may have a high-mileage Accura with no warranty at all for 2 of those years, vs. a much lower mileage Civic when it's warranty runs out.

They are both high quality cars, but take a look at the odds, will the older of the two be more problematic? Most likely.

Warranty is a major factor for me, personally. I don't want to have to worry about an $8000 repair out of my own pocket when I'm already forking out big $$ for the car itself. But that's me.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Acura's are on a 4 year, 80k km comprehensive warranty unlike Hondas. If you don't care about gas mileage and both vehicles are similar price, I'd get the TL. SH-AWD is good, 6AT is good and VTEC on the J37 is on both intake and exhaust so it sounds decent. Fit and finish are also first rate. Be wary of older tech such as a crusty nav unit or the existence of a CD player...

OP
OP

GoHabs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Civic
Brown coat: I plan on keeping the car for around 8 years and yes, the idea of costly repairs does concern me. My current '08 civic has been problem-free (except for the a/c) and has almost 200,000km on it. I'm assuming that the TL can last that long without major issues....

Dicecube: I've driven in winter conditions all across Canada (mostly Montreal and the Maritimes though) and I find that all you need is a good set of winter tires and a more cautious driving attitude. AWD is a bonus.

Newflyer: Yeah, I'm leaning slightly toward the TL at the moment. I've always had small displacement engines (92 integra, 05 civic, 08 civic) so the idea of a powerful AWD V6 is appealing. That white Touring does look good though. Ah, decisions, decisions...

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
TL unless you drive a lot of miles and need the Mileage or like all the tech.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
One possible solution would be to buy an extended warranty. I doubt you could find one to take the car out to 12 years (its 4 years plus the 8 you want to keep it), but I've heard of 10 year warranties.

I paid $1500 for one on an Oddy a few years ago. Took it to 100k miles. Got some of that back when I traded it in as it was transferable, so the dealer added it to the value of the car.

That would tip the balance for me.
Sponsored