2016 Civic Touring: 1,000 Mile Review

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
So I'm looking into moving from a money guzzler of an Audi to a new Touring and gotta say that this thread in particular has started to make me second guess. Going for a test drive next week. I've heard great things about the car and financially and personally it makes huge sense for me but I definitely don't want to dump money into a car if it's still somewhat flaky. Sounds like there's a lot of people experiencing issues as they get to higher mileages on them.
Lol. I did just that!!! I had a 2001 Audi A6 4.2 at best I got about 15/16 miles to the gallon. My work is close to my house so that's why it was low. If I mainly did hwy driving it would be at best 20 MPG. One day I just popped in to test drive a new Accord. My salesman asked if I saw the new Civics. I said 'What?, me drive a Civic?! I am coming from an Audi!' When he pulled it around the lot I said this is no Civic. I didn't know about any revisions or anything about Hondas. I got in and took it home on test drive Saturday afternoon. The salesman was great. He let me take it in my own! I returned it on Saturday night. It had 15 miles on it. I was going crazy until Monday morning until they opened again to tell my salesman I don't want anybody sitting in my car. I took a half day at work and ran to dealer and bought it. In the 24 years of driving Audis I never thought I would be in a Civic today. Today I just installed all my accessories that were bundled into sale price. Since the car is selling like hot cakes and so new no matter what dealer near me I could only haggle with destination charges. The price was the price. So I decided a good way to get some what of a discount was to add some accessories. I bought the Tourning which is what I recommend. Has all the bells and whistles. I test drove the new Audi A3 and it is so cheap! The only thing I miss is the Quattro, and quietness in cabin. Back to accessories; So for about $200 extra they added Qi charger, interior illumination, console illumination, door sill illuminated, door side molding, door trim chrome, all season mats, and a a few others that I ended up not doing because he sold me ones that I did not need or the car came with it, the dealer also added some of their own I guess when they received it in originally such as a trunk tray, mud deflectors, and wheel locks. It looks awesome with all of the accessories I must say. So after all that I say go for it! Get into a Civic!
Since I will stay on topic I just turned 2,000 miles. My 2,000 mile review is nothing but great things. Awesome car!!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
mno86

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
So I'm looking into moving from a money guzzler of an Audi to a new Touring and gotta say that this thread in particular has started to make me second guess. Going for a test drive next week. I've heard great things about the car and financially and personally it makes huge sense for me but I definitely don't want to dump money into a car if it's still somewhat flaky. Sounds like there's a lot of people experiencing issues as they get to higher mileages on them.
Please take it with a grain of salt - I'm also extremely fussy and have an eye (and ear) for detail that most others would find maddening. On the whole, I am extremely happy with this car, but I voice all of my issues, because I know how validating it is having a weird noise that you can't place and finding someone else with the same issue.

You'll be very happy with the Touring. It won't be as fast as the Audi obviously or probably handle as well, but the interior is a very comfortable place to be and the car is the best Civic I've ever driven in terms of the overall. But it's still a Civic - and I have to remind myself of that sometimes. This isn't a $60K car.

That said, I am a bit annoyed to have a few of these minor issues after only 1,000 miles. I went 40K in my 2013 Si and the only two issues I ever had with that car was a grinding in cold weather startup, and a "clicking" seat. The head unit is a bit of an adjustment still, but it's not so bad.

I honestly don't think you'd regret it. Truly. But with all the tech in this car, I'd be giving Saccuchi Honda a call and getting a cheap HondaCare extended warranty on it. I don't even want to know how much it'd cost after the 3 year warranty to replace some of this tech.

jaboop35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Yeah the tech is what is scaring me away the most at this point. Kind of a double-edged sword I suppose. So many people seem to be having issues with it. Though I'm not sure the people that aren't are on the Internet talking about how they aren't seeing issues as much unfortunately. It is nice to have all the features, but more stuff to break I guess.

OP
OP
mno86

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
3.5K mile update:

Car is still rock solid and I'm still very happy with it.

But there are a few issues that plague the car:

3. CarPlay takes forever to boot up any of the audio apps except Music- were talking 5-10 minutes. Sometimes rebooting the phone helps, but this is very annoying.

2. Engine Grind at start up. This has gotten worse. It happens nearly daily but every time I've brought it in they haven't been able to replicate it. It never happens at the first start of the day. Usually when I hop in to go to lunch at work (where it's been sitting or aid in the sun). It's extremely embarrassing having people jerk their head to see what that sound was and its coming from my brand new Civic. The car also sounds really rattley when I first starting. The car quiets downs after about a minute of warming up, but there's a loose, tinny rattle noise from under the hood at start up. Haven't heard another Turbo start up yet so I have no basis for comparison.

3. Auto Wipers. Horrific. They font swipe when it's rainy heavily and then swipe like a maniac when there's hardly any rain.

Other than that, this car is dynamite and I absolutely love it.

skullan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda LX (6MT), formerly a 2006 Hyundai Accent.
Country flag
Engine Grind at start up. This has gotten worse. It happens nearly daily but every time I've brought it in they haven't been able to replicate it. It never happens at the first start of the day. Usually when I hop in to go to lunch at work (where it's been sitting or aid in the sun). It's extremely embarrassing having people jerk their head to see what that sound was and its coming from my brand new Civic. The car also sounds really rattley when I first starting. The car quiets downs after about a minute of warming up, but there's a loose, tinny rattle noise from under the hood at start up. Haven't heard another Turbo start up yet so I have no basis for comparison.
Why not leave the car at the dealership overnight and get them to do the first start in the morning?
Pre-arrange that with the service advisor.

fijizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring Sedan - Modern Steel Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
3. Auto Wipers. Horrific. They font swipe when it's rainy heavily and then swipe like a maniac when there's hardly any rain.
Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of this feature, or an option to turn it off, at least?

Kindred1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I was going to suggest the same thing. I discovered the camera button by accident one day. I accidentally pressed it and wondered why the camera stayed on so long. It's actually pretty convenient. I use it to turn the camera off when I'm sitting at a stop light in the turn lane and want to access my AA or radio functions.
If you are in a city that has bicycle lanes, turning the camera off is risky.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of this feature, or an option to turn it off, at least?
There's a sensitvity ring that replaces the 'amount of rain' ring that intermittent wipers have. You can set it to low, can't turn em off though, you either have off, mist, auto, low and hi

fijizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring Sedan - Modern Steel Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
There's a sensitvity ring that replaces the 'amount of rain' ring that intermittent wipers have. You can set it to low, can't turn em off though, you either have off, mist, auto, low and hi
Interesting. So even in the "off" setting, it will automatically activate if it starts raining?

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Interesting. So even in the "off" setting, it will automatically activate if it starts raining?
No, off is off... They don't come on and you can drive without being able to see through your windshield through the rain.

themzlab

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
themzlab.tumblr.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2013 Prius 5,2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
...Engine Grind at start up. This has gotten worse. It happens nearly daily but every time I've brought it in they haven't been able to replicate it. It never happens at the first start of the day. Usually when I hop in to go to lunch at work (where it's been sitting or aid in the sun). It's extremely embarrassing having people jerk their head to see what that sound was and its coming from my brand new Civic. The car also sounds really rattley when I first starting. The car quiets downs after about a minute of warming up, but there's a loose, tinny rattle noise from under the hood at start up. Haven't heard another Turbo start up yet so I have no basis for comparison....
I dislike reading about dealer mechanics that do sloppy part-swapping without proper diagnosis. This has happened to me a little bit back in the day (before I took up doing my own work).

that said... in this case it sounds like they should be putting a new starter in.

Our 1.5T engine has a few thousand miles on it and there hasn't been any grinding or rattling on start.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
2. Engine Grind at start up. This has gotten worse. It happens nearly daily but every time I've brought it in they haven't been able to replicate it. It never happens at the first start of the day. Usually when I hop in to go to lunch at work (where it's been sitting or aid in the sun). It's extremely embarrassing having people jerk their head to see what that sound was and its coming from my brand new Civic. The car also sounds really rattley when I first starting. The car quiets downs after about a minute of warming up, but there's a loose, tinny rattle noise from under the hood at start up. Haven't heard another Turbo start up yet so I have no basis for comparison.
I would get it all on video (if it can be heard) and show them. First, it's proof. Second, they might be afraid you'd post it on youtube. If the dealer won't fix it, I would contact the regional manager, and/or Honda.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This may be a dumb question, but I've seen it talked about several times. Does the upper models not have a volume switch on the steering wheel? Just curious. I prefer a volume knob too, but most of the time I use the switch on my steering wheel more.
Sponsored