Twitchy87

First Name
Jessi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
Having issues with my 2016 Civic EX not starting. All I get is a clicking sound. Thought it was the battery so we swapped that, and still having the same issue. Was suggested to change the starter relay, but can’t find where they are located, just that there are two of them. From everything I’ve seen they are not in the under the hood fuse/relay box. Does anyone know where they are?
Sponsored

M16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex
Country flag
its the biggest rectangular relay in the corner. this unit has multiple relays in it for the starter among other ones(evap,wiper,cruise control,brake lights)

OP
OP

Twitchy87

First Name
Jessi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
its the biggest rectangular relay in the corner. this unit has multiple relays in it for the starter among other ones(evap,wiper,cruise control,brake lights)
The one circled?

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 civic starter relay location 8C3AAE9A-6289-43D6-B3D6-AA6453F12B3E

OP
OP

Twitchy87

First Name
Jessi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
Well this is an issue. I called the Honda dealership and they don’t even have that part listed. So if it is bad how is it supposed to be replaced?

M16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex
Country flag
i would test the relays before trying to replace the part.

theres a link on these forums somewhre to download a firefox browser that opens up the honda techinfo page and you can view the wiring diagrams.

then locate the pins of the relays, and put 12v on one pin and ground on the other, and you should hear it click, which means its working.

jackson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
Ever fix your issue? I am going down a rabbit hole and this may be a potential issue/solution.

Curious to hear how you resolved yours.

jackson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
Check towards the rear if you have oil leaking from the valve cover gasket, I've seen it with oil leaking on the starter
Thanks for this info, funny enough I did notice the area was wet on top around the valve cover. I would assume its also wet in the rear then.. I am about to get out here in the next 30min and take a look underneath remove the body cover and look at the connections on the starter.

Referring back to the relay box in the above post, the entire unit is one assembly so you can't even just take 1 relay and swap with the starter one as the thing is all housed within that plastic rectangle that buddy circled..

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
My daughter had a similar problem on her LX 2017, it wouldn't start, good battery, the starter was replaced, it was ok for a few days but the problem came back, the valve gasket cover was leaking onto the starter. The repair was done on warranty.
Have a look in this thread, same problem, look at the pictures of the starter:
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/she-no-cranky.55680/page-2#post-898115

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Thanks for this info, funny enough I did notice the area was wet on top around the valve cover. I would assume its also wet in the rear then.. I am about to get out here in the next 30min and take a look underneath remove the body cover and look at the connections on the starter.

Referring back to the relay box in the above post, the entire unit is one assembly so you can't even just take 1 relay and swap with the starter one as the thing is all housed within that plastic rectangle that buddy circled..
Keep us informed of your findings

jackson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
Wow this thing is hidden in there.. I don’t even understand how one removes this thing without removing half the front end shit.. like who came up with this.
The unit does have oil on the body of it.. I can’t even access the plugs to clean things off..

jackson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
depending of your milage, the seals and gaskets are warranted until 100k kilometres or 5years. You could also claim the price of the starter
I’m in Canada if that matters.

here it is. went through the side. Is she bad?

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 civic starter relay location 5B5D8563-1823-49DF-B4E9-462186F408AE
Sponsored