dirtybird222

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 STI, 1994 Accord Chumpcar
I really can't wait to get some details. If the next gen Si is only getting a 1.5T and 200hp I'm just going to purchase the outgoing model. I'm selling my STI so I can get another Si and a truck to tow my ChumpCar with. I still want something fun to drive on a daily basis; but, if it's a 1.5 in the Si it's going to not have a whole lot of potential and I know down the road I can get lots of power out of the K-series.
Sponsored

Balsy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Civic Si Coupe
By the time the Type R arrives here, it'll have a completely different engine than what is in the current Euro Type R so there's no reason why Honda needs to rip us off by using the 1.5T in the upcoming Si. They definitely can give us a detuned 2.0T now in the Si because that current Type R engine will never hit these shores. So no reason for Type R buyers to feel ripped off. Type R is at least two years away. By then, Honda will need to keep up with the Focus RS (345 HP, 325 lb-ft).

Viet_Racer

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic EM1
Country flag
By the time the Type R arrives here, it'll have a completely different engine than what is in the current Euro Type R so there's no reason why Honda needs to rip us off by using the 1.5T in the upcoming Si. They definitely can give us a detuned 2.0T now in the Si because that current Type R engine will never hit these shores. So no reason for Type R buyers to feel ripped off. Type R is at least two years away. By then, Honda will need to keep up with the Focus RS (345 HP, 325 lb-ft).
Great point. Never thought about the way that the timing works out. Detuned 2.0T off current Type R for north american Si model would not piss anyone off / step on any other model's toes. Fingers crossed for this scenario.

CaptK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru XV Crosstek
Haven't read any speculation on here about what the next Type R engine might be. Any educated guesses?

Balsy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Civic Si Coupe
Haven't read any speculation on here about what the next Type R engine might be. Any educated guesses?
Not sure. John Mendel says when it arrives here it'll be at least a '17 or maybe even '18 model year. The '18 model year is the refresh year for the current Euro Type R so it most likely will get a newer engine with higher specs to compete in this market against the Focus RS and Golf R, to name a couple. That engine will probably be the "global" engine, keeping in line with Honda's new strategy. At that point there won't be a Euro Type R, it will be global, according to Mendel.

M1160

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots of Uber
Damn '18 model year would mean a 2017 release and at least still 2 years away :( So the first Type R we get in the US will be the the global one that will have a brand new body and engine? No chance of getting the current Euro Type R model before then?

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
Damn '18 model year would mean a 2017 release and at least still 2 years away :( So the first Type R we get in the US will be the the global one that will have a brand new body and engine? No chance of getting the current Euro Type R model before then?
Yes. No.

Backstrom

Threads
Reaction score
It makes more sense that way. Why spend the cost to homologate/certify the 9th gen car for the global market in its last model year when the Civic X is right around the corner.

Viva la vida

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
It makes more sense that way. Why spend the cost to homologate/certify the 9th gen car for the global market in its last model year when the Civic X is right around the corner.
Plus I'm sure the next gen Type R will outperform current one and make even bigger splash as the first Type R for the US and Canada.

Always curious does US have much tougher standards than Europe or something? Europe gets all these hot cars that we don't get because they have to somehow be 'homologated' for the N American market.

Viva la vida

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
I really can't wait to get some details. If the next gen Si is only getting a 1.5T and 200hp I'm just going to purchase the outgoing model. I'm selling my STI so I can get another Si and a truck to tow my ChumpCar with. I still want something fun to drive on a daily basis; but, if it's a 1.5 in the Si it's going to not have a whole lot of potential and I know down the road I can get lots of power out of the K-series.
I think a 1.5T might turn off many potential Si buyers (including me). Turbos can make good power with even small displacement but 1.5 is like really small. A 2.0T would be the sweet spot.

BTW whats your chump car??

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Plus I'm sure the next gen Type R will outperform current one and make even bigger splash as the first Type R for the US and Canada.

Always curious does US have much tougher standards than Europe or something? Europe gets all these hot cars that we don't get because they have to somehow be 'homologated' for the N American market.
It's not necessarily that we have tougher regs, just different. If the car was originally designed to meet European standards, then essentially Honda would have to re-engineer the car to meet U.S. standards(costing large amounts of money). If the car is designed for both markets right away (meeting the 'tougher' standards for each country), then the car can be sold in both markets for about half the engineering cost.

Speaking specifically of the Type-R, sales would be pretty modest in the states, so importing it before this new 'global' platform would have made it cost prohibitive.

nade shot

Threads
Reaction score
In fact I think Europe has tougher regulations when it comes to pedestrian safety, emissions, etc. Thats why you see some cars here have to be modified for a lower hood in Europe, dumbo ear side mirrors etc. Fortunately none of this is really an issue with the Civic and the next gen should definitely be "global" proof.

Tegster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Integra (Tafetta White)
In fact I think Europe has tougher regulations when it comes to pedestrian safety, emissions, etc. Thats why you see some cars here have to be modified for a lower hood in Europe, dumbo ear side mirrors etc. Fortunately none of this is really an issue with the Civic and the next gen should definitely be "global" proof.
Global proof is good for Honda but not necessarily good for all buyers in all markets. Designing something for the strictest market's requirements ends up nerfing some of a car's design. For example because of the strictest requirements in places like Europe and US, the less strict markets won't get cool things like the Civic Concept's sleek side mirrors.

iamjack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Global proof is good for Honda but not necessarily good for all buyers in all markets. Designing something for the strictest market's requirements ends up nerfing some of a car's design. For example because of the strictest requirements in places like Europe and US, the less strict markets won't get cool things like the Civic Concept's sleek side mirrors.
I don't think this applies to the Type R which is not a totally different car/design than an EX for example, which is already homologated and global. The modified fascia and extra aero won't have any impact on complying with safety regs.

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't think this applies to the Type R which is not a totally different car/design than an EX for example, which is already homologated and global. The modified fascia and extra aero won't have any impact on complying with safety regs.
The manufacturer still has to get every engine/trans approved, even if it is in the same 'body' as an EX.
Sponsored