2016 Civic PROS & CONS: Sedan Vs. Coupe

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
Honda stated it has both the largest trunk of the 2 body styles and the largest doors yet on a Honda coupe variant. And the back seat has +5 inches over the CivicIX (of course, the wheelbase is is the same between sedan and coupe).
"The Coupe has a wheelbase that is 2.9 inches longer than the sedan, a 1.9 inch wider body, shorter overhangs and sits roughly one inch lower than the four-door car."

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1101039_2016-honda-civic-coupe-2015-los-angeles-auto-show

"Though Honda needed to add some additional reinforcement to the frame due to the loss of the back doors, the 2016 Civic coupe is still lighter than the sedan—and the previous generation Civic coupe as well."

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...ews/a27374/2016-honda-civic-coupe-first-look/
Sponsored

administrator

Administrator
First Name
Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
"The Coupe has a wheelbase that is 2.9 inches longer than the sedan, a 1.9 inch wider body, shorter overhangs and sits roughly one inch lower than the four-door car."
No, the coupe's wheelbase is 2.9 inches longer and 1.9 inches wider than the outgoing coupe, NOT the sedan.

The 2016 Coupe and Sedan have the same wheelbase. The Coupe is 1 inch lower than the sedan, has a 5.5 inch shorter rear overhang, and has the same front overhang and width as the sedan.

We confirmed this during our Q&A with Honda from the coupe reveal. See http://www.civicx.com/threads/2016-honda-civic-coupe-preview-event-civicx-live-coverage.741/

manhunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas
If the coupe had a wheelbase 3" longer than the sedan it would be Accord sized. Also probably cost a lot more.

Honda has said the coupe and sedan do not have a lot of differences and everything before the A pillar is pretty much the same.

CB22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In between cars
talking about weight and rigidity is just splitting hairs, you will NOT feel the differences behind the wheel due to those two metrics. However, Honda has stated that the suspension tuning will be different, so don't mistake a firmer feeling coupe as being "better" in some way than the sedan.

Insurance...depends on a lot of factors. I think once you reach a certain age/status, such as married, home owner, middle aged, then I highly doubt a coupe would be more expensive to insure. But younger flatbills with youthful risk factors and poor credit would likely see slightly higher rates for the coupe.

Now, you need to know that sedans are for sheeple. Too mainstream. Camry's are sedans for crying out loud! You don't want a car that resembles a lousy Camry, do you?

This new CivicX coupe doesn't lose much "practicality" over the sedan, and be honest with yourself, how often do you use the back doors of a sedan? If you say "rarely", consider the coupe. Honda stated it has both the largest trunk of the 2 body styles and the largest doors yet on a Honda coupe variant. And the back seat has +5 inches over the CivicIX (of course, the wheelbase is is the same between sedan and coupe).

The only penalty I can think of for the coupe would be rear headroom. Not sure if taller people have tested it out yet, but it may or may not be an issue.

I think it is great that Honda still seems to listen to it's smaller enthusiast groups and offers coupe versions of the Accord and Civic, and MT versions of the V6 and soon the 1.5T. WHO ELSE DOES THAT?? The only way to get a sportier, coupe version of a FWD sedan is to go Honda. Everyone else has dropped coupes to chase profit margins.

Support Honda, get a coupe.
Well said sir. So you're getting a sedan? Jk ;)

I will say I think the Civic sedan and coupe share a lot of similarities and both are not as compromised as I would think when you consider they differ by 2 doors. Meaning the coupe is not as compromised in terms of interior space and the sedan is really not much heavier (I believe one of the credible sources said about 50-100 pounds more). They also don't differ too much in price. The greatest difference to me is that the coupe is a lot sportier in terms of aesthetics and also by virtue of the fact its 5-6" shorter. I bet it will be felt in terms of handling too.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Well said sir. So you're getting a sedan? Jk ;)

I will say I think the Civic sedan and coupe share a lot of similarities and both are not as compromised as I would think when you consider they differ by 2 doors. Meaning the coupe is not as compromised in terms of interior space and the sedan is really not much heavier (I believe one of the credible sources said about 50-100 pounds more). They also don't differ too much in price. The greatest difference to me is that the coupe is a lot sportier in terms of aesthetics and also by virtue of the fact its 5-6" shorter. I bet it will be felt in terms of handling too.
This coupe sounds very spacious to me, in my Prelude, the front seat can touch the back seat if I put the seat all the way back.

So with the coupe being 1" lower, I wonder if that means the coupe is 1" lower on it's suspension, or if the roof is 1" lower to the floorpan.

///Mookster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
My impression from the details Honda released is that they lowered the roof by an inch and everything else equal. This seems to be consistent when comparing photos of the two and the feedback from people in the media that compare the amount of headroom between the two body styles.

They do mention sportier suspension but I take that to mean stiffness. It certainly doesn't seem to ride lower.

manhunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas
2. It chopped an inch out of the roofline

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic PROS & CONS: Sedan Vs. Coupe 2016-honda-civic-coupe-reveal-profile

Though it looks subtle, the roofline is very dramatically raked. Want proof? Hard as it might be to believe, the part of the roof that touches the top of the windshield is actually higher than the tip-top of the big shark-fin antennae on the back of the roof.

http://www.civicx.com/threads/7-interesting-facts-about-the-new-civic-coupe.755/

Definitely took it out of the roof. Imagine a one-inch lower suspension, I doubt we would be seeing that from the factory on a Civic. Even tho they are going for sporty, they would never do that to a base Civic coupe. Average non enthusiast buyers would be complaining about scraping driveways/curbs all the time.

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
My impression from the details Honda released is that they lowered the roof by an inch and everything else equal. This seems to be consistent when comparing photos of the two and the feedback from people in the media that compare the amount of headroom between the two body styles.

They do mention sportier suspension but I take that to mean stiffness. It certainly doesn't seem to ride lower.
Sure it rides lower. Pretty clear from this comparison image

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic PROS & CONS: Sedan Vs. Coupe 2016-honda-civic-coupe-reveal-profile

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Those pics may not accurately represent actual ride height. Pretty easy to "lower" a car in PS.

Another thing I just noticed in the CivicX Coupe is the "greenhouse" is bigger, the windows seem taller and the side rear windows seem bigger. You can see the door window bottom is extended downward compared to CivicIX. This is a trait of Honda cars that people really appreciate.

///Mookster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Sure it rides lower. Pretty clear from this comparison image

I was talking about Civic X coupe versus Civic X sedan. Unless I misunderstood, that was the question. That's why I brought up that they made suspension changes between coupe and sedan but we don't know what yet. We know what the Civic X and Civic IX differences are.

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
I was talking about Civic X coupe versus Civic X sedan. Unless I misunderstood, that was the question. That's why I brought up that they made suspension changes between coupe and sedan but we don't know what yet. We know what the Civic X and Civic IX differences are.
Ah, my bad. Thought I was in the other thread comparing the CivicX coupe vs 9th gen coupe. :crazy:

Ten10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Accord
Did we ever find out what the headroom difference is between sedan and coupe?

Golf6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK6 Golf
Did we ever find out what the headroom difference is between sedan and coupe?
Haven't seen actual difference posted. I predict the coupe headroo

Side by side pics of the coupe and sedan should tell us if any of the 1" lower comes from a lower suspension.

Ten10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Accord
Haven't seen actual difference posted. I predict the coupe headroo

Side by side pics of the coupe and sedan should tell us if any of the 1" lower comes from a lower suspension.
You predict the coupe headroom... ?
Sponsored