Has anyone with 2016 Civics had issues with their moonroofs?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

brianvb08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2011 CR-V SE
I have a '16 Civic Touring that I got in December. Love it, but I had some issues with the moonroof since I bought it...
The moon roof would open as least partially(most of the time), but would not close. Just crunched gears and made horrible sound when trying to close. I just barely got it back to the dealership, because I haven't had time until now. It took them 2 weeks to fix it! They had to contact some corporate technicians to figure out how to fix it. They ended up ordering a whole new track and everything for it.
In the mean time, they gave me a '16 Pilot to drive. And everything was completely covered under warranty, so it wasn't a huge deal.

I've been watching online to see if anyone else has had this issue and it didn't look like it. So I figured this was just an isolated incident, but when I went to pick it up yesterday the service manager said they've replaced the moonroof on three '16 civics so far. Has anyone else had issues with this?

It working okay now, but doesn't really seem to be as smooth and quiet as a factory moonroof would generally be when opening and closing. I appreciate them taking care of it and giving me a loaner car in the mean time, but I'm nervous that even though it's working now that it may not last the life of the car, and then what happens when it's out of warranty? Is this something I should be concerned with?
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
I think I saw a few other people on here.

I think in your case the track was misaligned from the factory, hence the replacement.

After years of it working, the biggest reason moonroofs fail is when a rock gets in the track, and you forcibly close it, and it either burns out the motor, or the rock bends one of the arms.

Moonroofs are easy enough to fix though, and I wouldn't be concerned. If you do believe it's not as quiet as it should be, take it back - better to get it addressed now than later; compare with other civics on the lot just to make sure it's not a psychological effect.

ThrillHill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
On a semi related tangent, my moonroof wouldn't open...at first.

I had purchased my EX-T just a few days short of a month ago. It was 40's and raining when I first bought it, so needless to say I didn't use it. That following Sunday, I drove to my parent's house to check up on things and my dad came outside to see my car. Weather was low to mid 60's and sunny, so he mentioned the moonroof. Go to open it...nothing. He gets in the car, tries the button...still nothing. I turned the car off, then back on...nothing. Multiple tries.

We thought the most likely culprit was the button for the moonroof wasn't making contact with the relay. Annoying for a 4 day old new car, but a relatively easy fix. Called the dealership to make an appointment with the service department which is closed on Sunday.

Frustrated I started messing around and stumbled across the keyfob window/moonroof opening feature. I figured worst case scenario if it did open and I couldn't close it, I could leave the car at my parent's relatively secure place with a tarp over it, take the train home and pick it up the next day.

The keyfob trick worked and the windows and moonroof opened. I turned the car on...and the interior controls started working! Now, neither my dad or I heard any motor whirring sounds or sounds of any kind when we first tried to open the moonroof. Nothing. Hence why we thought it might be a poorly fitted contact. Could something have been stuck? Again, we heard no sounds of the moonroof motor struggling to open. It's almost as if the keyfob activated a hard-coded command which then "woke up" the interior control. I have no idea what the issue was but it seems to be working fine now.

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Haven't had any grinding or weird noises, but one time it absolutely would not shut from the 'tilt option' no matter what I did. Eventually I restarted the car and it started working after 10 minutes.

Some of these little 'bugs' in this car are making me wonder how thoroughly Honda truly tested it.

whitscivic16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
I just dropped my Civic EX off last night with the same issue. I hope this does not continue to be a problem!
Sponsored