2016 Civic LX knocking/ticking around dash/hood when idling warm engine

NewCivicLX

Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
2016 Honda Civic LX with th 2.0 L cvt
has a knocking/ticking noise.

Wear headphones to listen to it clearly. its a fast ticking/ knocking.

HERE is a link to YouTube with my Civic making the noise:

From what I know, this noise only start when:

-The engine is hot (never when its cold upon cold start)

-When it's in Park, Reverse, Drive, Sport, and L (In Neutral its almost non existent)

-The noise is only present when idling or going at very low speeds. It goes away when I drive at a higher speed. it sometimes goes away when its idling and I let go of the brake.

-This noise does not occur always but it does happen about 97% of the time. And sometimes when when the noise is present, it goes away for a few seconds , then comes back.

Does anyone have this same issue or know what is the cause of this noise and how to fix it? I've seen other videos like this but it is not the same noise as it is here.
Advertisement

Last edited:

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I really can't hear it from this video.

Maybe have someone hold the brake while you grab footage from the engine bay? Don't worry so much about the video. Instead... try to aim the mic of your phone toward the valve cover, the exhaust header, and the belt-driven stuff on the side.

OP
OP

NewCivicLX

Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I really can't hear it from this video.

Maybe have someone hold the brake while you grab footage from the engine bay? Don't worry so much about the video. Instead... try to aim the mic of your phone toward the valve cover, the exhaust header, and the belt-driven stuff on the side.
You can hear it thought the whole video especially from 1:43-1:53

At the end of the video I turn off the engine and the quick tapping/rattling/knocking stops.

nickname

Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
I can hear it.

Does it go away when the AC is off?

PMR100

First Name
Marcin
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic
Country flag
Did you find out what it was. Mine does the same thing at idle. I have a 2020 Sport 2.0 and started doing this at around 1300 miles. Also engine running rough. Im taking it to the dealer on Tuesday.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Last time I heard an engine make that noise it was main bearings bad. You need to take that to the dealer so they can do something with that

PMR100

First Name
Marcin
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic
Country flag
Here is a video of mine. It started running rough and the knocking sound began at 1300 miles. 3 times i took it to the dealer in march, they said its running fine. At the time the knocking was not as loud. Now at 4000 miles knocking noise is louder and easy to hear.

PMR100

First Name
Marcin
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic
Country flag
Here is another video of the knocking. If anybody can suggest what could it be? I took it to the dealer and those lying SOBs could not tell me what it is, but tried to tell me that it sounds normal and that all Hondas sound like that. I told them that the loaner was not making the knocking noise, so the lying SOB told me that it will.

In real life it is much louder and it only happens at idle in all gears. You can clearly hear it every time i stop at a light.

Last edited:
OP
OP

NewCivicLX

Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I can hear it.

I can hear it.

The AC was off.
(But my ac isn't blowing cold air either just fresh)

Could probably be metal expanding when the car is warmed up. The car performs fine. Over 126k miles on it but I do do baby it.

It's just the noise that worries me a bit but other than that the car drives great.

civic0792

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Civic sport 2.0
Country flag
I bought a 2020 Civic Sport 2.0 a few months ago because I totaled my 2016 hitting a deer. About a week after I bought it I noticed the same noise you guys have had took it to 2 different dealers and they said same thing they all sound that way. My 2016 did not ever make this noise so idk what to do but wait for it to get worse if it does.

nickname

Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
So my civic was making a similar noise after 1) hitting a deer and 2) getting the condenser replaced. For me, it was the metal clamp on the lower radiator hose vibrating on the subframe. Put some insulation between the two - back to normal.

Tedv

First Name
Ted
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L
Country flag
Did you find out what it was. Mine does the same thing at idle. I have a 2020 Sport 2.0 and started doing this at around 1300 miles. Also engine running rough. Im taking it to the dealer on Tuesday.
i noticed mine doing the same noise,same 2020 civic sport 2.0L
I still don’t have an idea

francont89

First Name
Francisco
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Honda Civic SE
Country flag
Hi all,

Mine is a 2018 2.0L CTV and it does the same thing and only when the engine is warm as described by the OP. I have no idea what it is, but it is annoying.

I am taking it to a mechanic today, let's see if they find anything.

Advertisement

Advertisement