Pratik

First Name
Pratik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Hi , I am in a very peculiar scenario. My Civic AC started blowing hot air (2016 model,52500 miles) . I went to dealer and they quoted $2000 before taxes saying compressor needs to be replaced and its leaking. I was not happy the way car turned out for me given less miles and only 5 year old. When i checked over internet i found i am not alone, some customers got this issue under 20k miles . I asked dealer to check with Honda if they can share the cost as goodwill or something but Honda denied(not dealer). I don't wanted to spend 2k bucks for this and also i don't have confidence whether this will still work after 1 year(based on users reviews). Honda made us fool after establishing their brand. After few days, I checked in repairpal.com and contacted a local shop and asked what will be cost of compressor replacement .They told it will be approx. $1400 before taxes and they will give 36000 miles/3 year warranty on parts and labor. Oh my god , i was surprised to hear this (i checked twice with them ) because dealer was offering me 1 year warranty only . I took my car and shop guy told me that they will do 2nd opinion diagnosis of AC free of cost(just to make sure, dealer charged me 190 for diagnosis). Another surprise , they said they refilled the refrigerant and now AC is blowing cool air. I asked them to check for some more time but it was working fine. So we have decided to come back after 1-2 week and they will see whether compressor is leaking or not . So i end up paying $209(for refrigerant) and working AC . I know this might change after 2 weeks but who knows. Now my concerns are :
1. Why there is big difference in dealer charges and local shop. However shop is giving a better warranty.
2. Even refrigerant cost is half of what dealer was charging($400).
3. I know i can confirm this only after 2-3 weeks but how come dealer was able to find that AC compressor was not working but this shop was not able to or they just play foul.
4. Which is better option , relying on local shop who gives better warranty and low cost service or a dealer , don't you think this monoply.
5. How about brand Honda ? If this issue is happening for majority of people then something is wrong with AC setting. They should recall their cars. Does any agency is there who can keep them accountable.
Sponsored

Friendofsonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I am interested in the responses to this topic too- I am in this same exact boat with a 2016. Dealership telling me it's the compressor leaking, quoting me $2k and acting shocked I didn't proceed with the repair. I called a local shop who too told me that they were inspect for free and verify that the compressor is actually leaking, and if it is, give me a more accurate quote around how much it would be to install a compressor (he's thinking the installed price is around $700-$900 for OE compressor+clutch)
I am surprised he's not charging a diagnostic fee but perhaps this is just a simple visual inspection to verify there is fluid around the compressor, etc.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For A/C issue on our 2016 in 2020, I go at my local A/C shop . It cost me $300 for a new condenser and gas.
I never go to a dealer, I don't trust them and they are too expensive ; they want your money

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
4. Which is better option , relying on local shop who gives better warranty and low cost service or a dealer , don't you think this monoply.
Nothing wrong with taking your car to a local repair shop. Honda does not have a monopoly on your car. Honda OEM parts are much more expensive than 3rd party replacement parts, which usually are just as good (but not always).

Honda wanted $600 for a replacement headlamp assembly, I got one online for $350 and it is working perfectly for over a year.

OP
OP

Pratik

First Name
Pratik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Hi , I am in a very peculiar scenario. My Civic AC started blowing hot air (2016 model,52500 miles) . I went to dealer and they quoted $2000 before taxes saying compressor needs to be replaced and its leaking. I was not happy the way car turned out for me given less miles and only 5 year old. When i checked over internet i found i am not alone, some customers got this issue under 20k miles . I asked dealer to check with Honda if they can share the cost as goodwill or something but Honda denied(not dealer). I don't wanted to spend 2k bucks for this and also i don't have confidence whether this will still work after 1 year(based on users reviews). Honda made us fool after establishing their brand. After few days, I checked in repairpal.com and contacted a local shop and asked what will be cost of compressor replacement .They told it will be approx. $1400 before taxes and they will give 36000 miles/3 year warranty on parts and labor. Oh my god , i was surprised to hear this (i checked twice with them ) because dealer was offering me 1 year warranty only . I took my car and shop guy told me that they will do 2nd opinion diagnosis of AC free of cost(just to make sure, dealer charged me 190 for diagnosis). Another surprise , they said they refilled the refrigerant and now AC is blowing cool air. I asked them to check for some more time but it was working fine. So we have decided to come back after 1-2 week and they will see whether compressor is leaking or not . So i end up paying $209(for refrigerant) and working AC . I know this might change after 2 weeks but who knows. Now my concerns are :
1. Why there is big difference in dealer charges and local shop. However shop is giving a better warranty.
2. Even refrigerant cost is half of what dealer was charging($400).
3. I know i can confirm this only after 2-3 weeks but how come dealer was able to find that AC compressor was not working but this shop was not able to or they just play foul.
5. How about brand Honda ? If this issue is happening for majority of people then something is wrong with AC setting. They should recall their cars. Does any agency is there who can keep them accountable.
----------------------------------------------
Update: After 1 week my AC is still fine, tomorrow i am taking my car to local shop again to check for refrigerant leakage, lets c.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan LX
Country flag
Good news (possibly)... There is a service bulletin for 2016-18 condensers due to leaking, for 10 years and unlimited miles. My 2017 Civic LX had the same issue and only 27k miles it went out (the previous owner had recharged it with the wrong refrigerant, which cost me $250 to pump out, as it wasnt covered by the warranty).

But take it to a honda dealer, they'll replace the condenser for free and check it for leaks.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163796-0001.pdf

OP
OP

Pratik

First Name
Pratik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
----------------------------------------------
Update: After 1 week my AC is still fine, tomorrow i am taking my car to local shop again to check for refrigerant leakage, lets c.
So I took my car for re-inspection on AC leak due to compressor(recommended by Honda dealer earlier) and surprisingly shop did not found any leak and I got my car back. Now question is how dealer inspected and told to replace compressor where as local shop does not .
I will update this thread after 1 month.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I took my car for re-inspection on AC leak due to compressor(recommended by Honda dealer earlier) and surprisingly shop did not found any leak and I got my car back. Now question is how dealer inspected and told to replace compressor where as local shop does not .

Nothing new, see answer #3.
They want your money..
Dealer need lots of money to pay their big and nice showroom, mechanics , secretary......
Local shop no.

OP
OP

Pratik

First Name
Pratik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Good news (possibly)... There is a service bulletin for 2016-18 condensers due to leaking, for 10 years and unlimited miles. My 2017 Civic LX had the same issue and only 27k miles it went out (the previous owner had recharged it with the wrong refrigerant, which cost me $250 to pump out, as it wasnt covered by the warranty).

But take it to a honda dealer, they'll replace the condenser for free and check it for leaks.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163796-0001.pdf
Update after 1
Update after 1 month. A/C works fine ,no issues till now.

Friendofsonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Update after 1

Update after 1 month. A/C works fine ,no issues till now.
I'll chime in too, so far so good although my blower motor may be on its way out. At this point I guess I gotta really hope the evaporator holds up
Sponsored