2016 Civic LX 6-Spd transmission problem?

Riggsy77

2020 Hatch Sport M/T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport Hatch 6spd
Country flag
Lately my car has been doing something that it never did before. I've noticed that sometimes when I try to put the car in 1st gear, that it will go in half way, but there is a resistance that won't allow me to fully engage it. To fully engage I have to put it back into neutral and then it will usually go in after the first try. It does this when it's cold or warmed up. Is anyone else having this problem? I want this taken care of if it's a problem because I'll be out of warranty by the end of the year.
Sponsored

chuenoona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX, 2001 Acura CL Type-S
Country flag
Not on mine ... You sure you came to a complete stop or clutch is all the way depressed ?

OP
OP
Riggsy77

Riggsy77

2020 Hatch Sport M/T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hmm that's strange
I have an appointment scheduled for Wednesday to have it checked. It's also displaying signs if a vacuum leak. As long as it's in warranty

subtlefocus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
I have an appointment scheduled for Wednesday to have it checked. It's also displaying signs if a vacuum leak. As long as it's in warranty
Mine does this from time to time as well and from what I have seen online it is a very common thing with many different vehicles.
Every where gives the same solution I myself do which is just shift the car into 2nd then 1st.

Please post what the dealership tells you when you go in for your appointment, my car hasn't even been in for its first service yet so if it is something that is covered by warranty ill be bringing mine in for it as well.

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic
Country flag
my 2000 Civic B16 transmission does this, too. Sometimes even downshifting into third.

chokesmaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic LX Manual 2016
Country flag
Sometime I have more resistance when going in first and it only does that when cold. My 2008 was doing that when cold as well but it had over 100k miles

OP
OP
Riggsy77

Riggsy77

2020 Hatch Sport M/T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Mine does this from time to time as well and from what I have seen online it is a very common thing with many different vehicles.
Every where gives the same solution I myself do which is just shift the car into 2nd then 1st.

Please post what the dealership tells you when you go in for your appointment, my car hasn't even been in for its first service yet so if it is something that is covered by warranty ill be bringing mine in for it as well.
Yes i will definitely let you know. A Golf GTI is looking pretty good to me right now :)

maaaaackle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Lately my car has been doing something that it never did before. I've noticed that sometimes when I try to put the car in 1st gear, that it will go in half way, but there is a resistance that won't allow me to fully engage it. To fully engage I have to put it back into neutral and then it will usually go in after the first try. It does this when it's cold or warmed up. Is anyone else having this problem? I want this taken care of if it's a problem because I'll be out of warranty by the end of the year.
You know, I think I know what you're talking about. My car does this too. The gear shifting sometimes gets caught in a weird position and I can't move it.

But the car drives perfectly fine and theres no problem with the gearing or anything like that.

OP
OP
Riggsy77

Riggsy77

2020 Hatch Sport M/T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hey guys, I'm probably going to be rescheduling my appointment. I'm thinking of buying a Jeep Patriot tomorrow and I won't have time to get my car to the dealer in time. The jeep would not replace my civic just an extra car. The deal I'm getting is allowing me to flip it for a profit if everything works out. So I have the potential to earn $2000, my civic can wait!!

subtlefocus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, I'm probably going to be rescheduling my appointment. I'm thinking of buying a Jeep Patriot tomorrow and I won't have time to get my car to the dealer in time. The jeep would not replace my civic just an extra car. The deal I'm getting is allowing me to flip it for a profit if everything works out. So I have the potential to earn $2000, my civic can wait!!
No worries! Just keep us posted when you get around to having it looked at.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Just curious.. But next time you come to a conplete stop and it does this.. Put it into fifth gear and then go to first and see if it goes into first smoothly

OP
OP
Riggsy77

Riggsy77

2020 Hatch Sport M/T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok, I did manage to make it to the dealer today. A tech drove the car, and brought me in and explained the issue which still confuses me. He told me that short shifting is very bad for this transmission. So, as you come to a stop you're supposed to downshift through all the gears, not out it in neutral and then into first. It does this because the transmission isn't spinning at the rate of the engine, and it has a hard time catching up like that I guess. He said that when you put it in second and then into first it solves the problem. This really annoys me... Honda put out a news bulletin in 2006 about this. As far as my vacuum leak issue they want me to bring it back another day.

OP
OP
Riggsy77

Riggsy77

2020 Hatch Sport M/T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just curious.. But next time you come to a conplete stop and it does this.. Put it into fifth gear and then go to first and see if it goes into first smoothly
I just posted what the tech told me, it addresses what you said too
Sponsored