Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It looks like the Honda Civic's two-tiered dashboard design will finally become a thing of the past.

Here's a world's first look at much of the all-new car's dashboard design. We see a new cockpit configuration with Civic's gauge cluster now covered by a single, sculpted hood, flanked angular hood vents that lead into a new, simple center stack arrangement. The fussiness of the current Civic's dual-level array of instrumentation gives way to something cleaner and sportier in its layout.

This prototype was outfitted with Honda's continuously variable transmission, while a new six-speed manual will also be offered, which should help to deliver on the company's promised return of the "fun-to-drive Civic." The center stack leads down to a cavernous storage binnacle, to the nicely placed shift lever, and on to another another storage spot. A long, fabric-covered arm rest appears to have room for additional storage below, making for what appears to be a space-efficient layout.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic interior spied! Loses two-tiered design. HondaCivic.int01.KGP.ed
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic interior spied! Loses two-tiered design. HondaCivic.int02.KGP.ed
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic interior spied! Loses two-tiered design. HondaCivic.int03.KGP.ed
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic interior spied! Loses two-tiered design. HondaCivic.int04.KGP.ed
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic interior spied! Loses two-tiered design. HondaCivic.int05.KGP.ed
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic interior spied! Loses two-tiered design. HondaCivic.int06.KGP.ed
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic interior spied! Loses two-tiered design. HondaCivic.int07.KGP.ed
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic interior spied! Loses two-tiered design. HondaCivic.int08.KGP.ed
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic interior spied! Loses two-tiered design. HondaCivic.int12.KGP.ed
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic interior spied! Loses two-tiered design. HondaCivic.int09.KGP.ed
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic interior spied! Loses two-tiered design. HondaCivic.int10.KGP.ed
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic interior spied! Loses two-tiered design. HondaCivic.int11.KGP.ed
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic interior spied! Loses two-tiered design. HondaCivic.lld02.KGP.ed
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic interior spied! Loses two-tiered design. HondaCivic.lld03.KGP.ed

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
Looks like the electronic parking brake and 'brake hold assist' will make their Civic debut.

I'm hoping this is a lower trim level interior. The infotainment screen seems pretty small, similar to the base model HR-V LX. Also, there is a key... no one wants a key anymore Honda, this thing better have a 'smart key' with push button start.

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
When I first drove a Civic with the two tiered dash it kinda confused me where to look but I got used to it now. Looking at a single dash might seem kinda plain now :) Hopefully the gauges get a nice look though.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Wow, it looks a million times better on the inside. It seems Honda really is serious about getting back to the Civic roots. It's been 20 years since I've admired a Civic.

Glad to see it has a traditional key. I don't get why people "need" things like smart key and in car connectivity/infotainment. Those things get outdated way too fast, seriously will anyone want 10 year old automotive "technology"? People can't even stand to own the same smartphone more than 2 years, and even if they did the phone slowly gets bricked as the operating systems and apps become unsupported. Think of whats going to happen with modern cars as technology quickly outdates your built-in tech! I prefer simple so the car can last 30+ years. You can't outdate simple, reliable design. Hopefully Si and Type R will have a cable actuated parking brake.

Backstrom

Threads
Reaction score
Hope this is the base trim. They've hyped the interior as vastly improved and while it is nicer, I am expecting more than this.

///Mookster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Wow, it looks a million times better on the inside. It seems Honda really is serious about getting back to the Civic roots. It's been 20 years since I've admired a Civic.
I prefer the simple focused design too. The two tier was always too sci-fi and weird for me. Car is shaping up better and better!

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Glad to see it has a traditional key. I don't get why people "need" things like smart key and in car connectivity/infotainment. Those things get outdated way too fast, seriously will anyone want 10 year old automotive "technology"? People can't even stand to own the same smartphone more than 2 years, and even if they did the phone slowly gets bricked as the operating systems and apps become unsupported. Think of whats going to happen with modern cars as technology quickly outdates your built-in tech! I prefer simple so the car can last 30+ years. You can't outdate simple, reliable design. Hopefully Si and Type R will have a cable actuated parking brake.
No one "needs" a smart key, but no one "needs" a radio, anti-lock brakes, steering-wheel mounted controls, cruise control, sunroof, cup holders or air conditioning either... but they sure make the car better to use.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is a base car. Its riding on Steel wheels which makes me assume this is an LX base model. I have to say from my spec sheets i managed to call alot of these. The electronic parking break and break hold. The standard 5" touch screen from the HRV with the EX and above getting the 7" screen. Doing away with the 2-tier design and the iMID screen. The outside of the car looks good too. Love the tall trunk and hood while keeping the roof low, very sporty stance and looks less Anemic than the current sedan. More solid and planted.

I'm hoping when the coupe interior is shown they opt for a flat bottom steering wheel (at least on higher trims) and add the door handle bars like the current coupe has. Overall it looks very much like how i figured it would, even the top mounted center vents. (a fit detail). I love the higher shifter tunnel and the wrap around arm rest too.

I can't wait to see the gauge cluster. Hoping honda kept with doing the digital speedo in there, maybe a 3 piece cluster with the digital speedo centered like the CRZ and S660 clusters.

This is awesome!

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is a base car. Its riding on Steel wheels which makes me assume this is an LX base model. I have to say from my spec sheets i managed to call alot of these. The electronic parking break and break hold. The standard 5" touch screen from the HRV with the EX and above getting the 7" screen. Doing away with the 2-tier design and the iMID screen. The outside of the car looks good too. Love the tall trunk and hood while keeping the roof low, very sporty stance and looks less Anemic than the current sedan. More solid and planted.

I'm hoping when the coupe interior is shown they opt for a flat bottom steering wheel (at least on higher trims) and add the door handle bars like the current coupe has. Overall it looks very much like how i figured it would, even the top mounted center vents. (a fit detail). I love the higher shifter tunnel and the wrap around arm rest too.

I can't wait to see the gauge cluster. Hoping honda kept with doing the digital speedo in there, maybe a 3 piece cluster with the digital speedo centered like the CRZ and S660 clusters.

This is awesome!
I bet there will still be a small iMID screen in with the cluster. I'd love to see an LCD cluster myself, I like that look a lot; but as a CR-Z owner I could totally get behind that layout as well.

Also, a lot of testers use random wheels. The steelies wouldn't give a trim away. Hopdfully, like with the HR-V, the Civic receives alloy wheels across all trims.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well other things that make me figure this is a base model other than the wheels, the smaller 5" screen for one. And the use of the same matte black plastic on the center stack as whats in the LX coupes now and, no paddle shifters to be seen. Hoping the EX and above will have maybe a piano black (would look much more upscale and do faux carbon fiber on the Si) have the 7" touch screen and there is definitely space for the touch HVAC controls from the HRV. If this is a base model that tiny HVAC screen leads me to believe climate control will be standard across the board with dual zone on upper trims. I figure the gauge cluster will either have a small info screen like many cars do now, or it'll be similar in setup to the CRZ/S660 clusters that put the digital round speedo in the center of the rpm gauge, then flanked with (hopefully) digital screens for gas/mpg/engine temp etc. I just hope what ever they do it isn't as bland as the accords cluster... so flat and boring.

As for getting alloys across the board, that would be awesome and maybe its just me those wheels look big, like 17s maybe. I'd love to see standard alloys (the patent drawings had simple alloys) 16" for the LX, 17" for the EX and EXL and 18" for the Si and CTR, with available 19" wheels.

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well other things that make me figure this is a base model other than the wheels, the smaller 5" screen for one. And the use of the same matte black plastic on the center stack as whats in the LX coupes now and, no paddle shifters to be seen. Hoping the EX and above will have maybe a piano black (would look much more upscale and do faux carbon fiber on the Si) have the 7" touch screen and there is definitely space for the touch HVAC controls from the HRV. If this is a base model that tiny HVAC screen leads me to believe climate control will be standard across the board with dual zone on upper trims. I figure the gauge cluster will either have a small info screen like many cars do now, or it'll be similar in setup to the CRZ/S660 clusters that put the digital round speedo in the center of the rpm gauge, then flanked with (hopefully) digital screens for gas/mpg/engine temp etc. I just hope what ever they do it isn't as bland as the accords cluster... so flat and boring.

As for getting alloys across the board, that would be awesome and maybe its just me those wheels look big, like 17s maybe. I'd love to see standard alloys (the patent drawings had simple alloys) 16" for the LX, 17" for the EX and EXL and 18" for the Si and CTR, with available 19" wheels.
I 100% agree that this is most likely a base model, I was just pointing out that I've seen some pretty random wheels on testers, so that alone wouldn't be a giveaway.

I think 16" wheels on the lower trims and 17" for the upper would make sense (if the whole range goes alloy, I would think they would all be 17"). Some 18" wheels on the Si wouldn't surprise me, though they may make that an upgrade/option from HPD or something.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Doesn't the current Si come with standard 18" wheels? i could have sworn it did. and it has available 19" accessory wheels with summer tires. Does the HRV have 17" wheels? I could see them doing a real simple 17" wheel on the base models and then fancier 17" wheels on the EX and above, with the painted inserts and such. Those painted insert alloys look so good on white cars. lol.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
No one "needs" a smart key, but no one "needs" a radio, anti-lock brakes, steering-wheel mounted controls, cruise control, sunroof, cup holders or air conditioning either... but they sure make the car better to use.
Most of what you mention are already established features that won't cause you to lose access to your car. While I don't think a smart key is the worst trendy tech evil, it is still an expensive and insecure way to access your vehicle. Thieves have already found out how to scan your key signal and take your car from you using a transceiver. They don't even need to slim-jim your door or smash your ignition. AND, when you lose your transponders, it's another way to get you to buy something expensive just to maintain access to your car. Maybe this is not much worse than the smart key my truck uses, because that key is like $70 to replace, but it's a "convenience" I don't "need".

Speaking of my truck, it has TPS sensors that have recently expired. It will cost me $500 to get them all replaced if I want to restore the TPS system. I opted to just disassemble the cluster and disable the TPS LED. Because it's funny, in the owner's manual, manufacturer states that you still need to check the pressure regularly!

The other unnecessary tech in new cars is the touchscreen interface. That certainly will become outdated, and if it no longer connects with future peripherals like smart phones or whatever, who's gonna want a used car with a bunch of blank screens? How about those cars that integrate A/C, Nav and radio into one system? I know Honda is good about not going that far, but some cars do. When that vehicle is old and the integrated system craps out (could be as simple as touch screen becoming non responsive, which does happen) how do you fix that? Get another old, ready to crap out unit from a junkyard car?

Just my opinions though, it seems Honda will probably provide something for everybody with these new Civics. My Prelude is nearly 30 years old, nothing has gone wrong on that car in 30 years aside from maintenance. Despite my truck having most of the new school tech, I still thoroughly enjoy driving such a simple Honda, and don't miss anything the new cars dangle at ya. And I am glad that in 1986 Honda didn't feel compelled to put a Commodore 64 in the dash!

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not that don't agree about aging tech in cars these days. Ive said it before, with the digital speedo and such in the current civics and 8th gen... how long before those LCD go out? Then what? How much is it going to cost to get that fixed?

But from a marketing standpoint. Less used cars on the road mean more new car sales. It essentially gives expiration dates to cars that can be still be driven for 10, 20, 30 years, but all the tech is outdated/doesn't work anymore. Which leads people back to dealerships for something new, something updated, etc.

As much as we love our cars, we can't forget car companies are just big "evil" corporations trying to make more and more money. So why wouldn't they effectively want to kill off the idea of the used car thats more than 10 years old?

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Most of what you mention are already established features that won't cause you to lose access to your car. While I don't think a smart key is the worst trendy tech evil, it is still an expensive and insecure way to access your vehicle. Thieves have already found out how to scan your key signal and take your car from you using a transceiver. They don't even need to slim-jim your door or smash your ignition. AND, when you lose your transponders, it's another way to get you to buy something expensive just to maintain access to your car. Maybe this is not much worse than the smart key my truck uses, because that key is like $70 to replace, but it's a "convenience" I don't "need".

Speaking of my truck, it has TPS sensors that have recently expired. It will cost me $500 to get them all replaced if I want to restore the TPS system. I opted to just disassemble the cluster and disable the TPS LED. Because it's funny, in the owner's manual, manufacturer states that you still need to check the pressure regularly!

The other unnecessary tech in new cars is the touchscreen interface. That certainly will become outdated, and if it no longer connects with future peripherals like smart phones or whatever, who's gonna want a used car with a bunch of blank screens? How about those cars that integrate A/C, Nav and radio into one system? I know Honda is good about not going that far, but some cars do. When that vehicle is old and the integrated system craps out (could be as simple as touch screen becoming non responsive, which does happen) how do you fix that? Get another old, ready to crap out unit from a junkyard car?

Just my opinions though, it seems Honda will probably provide something for everybody with these new Civics. My Prelude is nearly 30 years old, nothing has gone wrong on that car in 30 years aside from maintenance. Despite my truck having most of the new school tech, I still thoroughly enjoy driving such a simple Honda, and don't miss anything the new cars dangle at ya. And I am glad that in 1986 Honda didn't feel compelled to put a Commodore 64 in the dash!
But how did they become "established features"? They had to be 'new tech' at some point. Don't mistake "change" for being synonymous with "bad".

I actually had an 87 Prelude Si as well. It came with a tape deck, I replaced it with a CD player when I got it (sold it with a CD player). My 88 CRX had a tape deck when new, but I replaced that with a CD player and now more recently, one with a USB interface. Some tech will come and go to be sure, but most of that can be replaced if you have the car long enough. I don't see touchscreens any differently, the aftermarket will always provide product if there is a need.

I'm certainly not advocating for TPMS (or daytime running lights), that s**t is dumb, but a fob I don't have to take out of my pocket to get into my car or to start it... sign me up. I'm not much into worrying about what others are capable of doing as far as getting into my car. If someone wants in, they're getting in. Fob loss may be a bigger financial concern, but I have yet to lose a car key in my life, so I feel okay about this as well.
Sponsored