danj555

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
______
Am I the only one who thinks this looks like crap, interior wise?
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic interior spied! Loses two-tiered design. {filename}

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic interior spied! Loses two-tiered design. 2014-Honda-Civic-EX-L-interior

^^^ That looks highly refined and has great fit and finish. I know this is a test car but the major changes will stick. Starting with the nav console. The tester looks cheap, modular and plastic. The one in the 2015 has a unified, glossy, glass look. And the screen looks like its a plastic or resistive type screen. Maybe the screen is from an old system. Really hope so.

Now from what I can tell there is substantially more "screen space" cut out in the behind the wheel dash area. But can they really fit all of those screens in that space. maybe but compromises would have to be made. they couldn't literally move both tiers into one as is. it wouldn't fit. so they will have to make it smaller. and even if they managed it, they would have to put them lower. So taking your eyes further off the road compared to the 2015. They have had to move the centre left air vent up to accommodate the larger interface behind the wheel which is understandable but the trade off is noticeably lower centre console. the screen is much further down in 2016. I do think that what they currently have behind the wheel is a bit awkward. maybe put more dials or screens down there but keep the 2 tiered design. Its really nice and what differentiates the civic from the competition these days. But as the OP pointed out, it seems that the 2 tiered design is gone.

Next the gear leaver area looks horrible, it now has silver plastic awkwardly around it. The pretty 2 tiered storage is gone in the 2016 model, replaced by a simple large hole. Doesn't look like they put effort into designing that. So what is the plan? have the usbs and power be buried under everything you throw in there, and have stuff get get stuck in them which would ruin them? I don't get it. And why would they make it so large? Why not give back to the screen space? I do like the gear leaver itself in the new one vs the old. They also have done away with the E-break lever. probably moving to a button style. which is nice.

Next is the in-between seats box area. I don't know why they let the boss's child design it, but that appears to be the case. the nice chrome ring around the cup holders is gone replaced by a much larger hairy ravine. And there is a greater separation between driver and shotgun. It looks a lot more elegant in the 2015 model.

I like the exterior of the car, from what I've seen. but I'm very unconvinced of the interior. As someone who is looking for a car (sedan) in the near term I am disappointed in what Honda have turned up this time around. But this could all be sorted cause it is, after all, a test car. So here is to hoping that these pictures are not how the car will ship.
Sponsored

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic interior spied! Loses two-tiered design. 2014-Honda-Civic-EX-L-interior

^^^ That looks highly refined and has great fit and finish. I know this is a test car but the major changes will stick. Starting with the nav console. The tester looks cheap, modular and plastic. The one in the 2015 has a unified, glossy, glass look. And the screen looks like its a plastic or resistive type screen. Maybe the screen is from an old system. Really hope so.

Now from what I can tell there is substantially more "screen space" cut out in the behind the wheel dash area. But can they really fit all of those screens in that space. maybe but compromises would have to be made. they couldn't literally move both tiers into one as is. it wouldn't fit. so they will have to make it smaller. and even if they managed it, they would have to put them lower. So taking your eyes further off the road compared to the 2015. They have had to move the centre left air vent up to accommodate the larger interface behind the wheel which is understandable but the trade off is noticeably lower centre console. the screen is much further down in 2016. I do think that what they currently have behind the wheel is a bit awkward. maybe put more dials or screens down there but keep the 2 tiered design. Its really nice and what differentiates the civic from the competition these days. But as the OP pointed out, it seems that the 2 tiered design is gone.

Next the gear leaver area looks horrible, it now has silver plastic awkwardly around it. The pretty 2 tiered storage is gone in the 2016 model, replaced by a simple large hole. Doesn't look like they put effort into designing that. So what is the plan? have the usbs and power be buried under everything you throw in there, and have stuff get get stuck in them which would ruin them? I don't get it. And why would they make it so large? Why not give back to the screen space? I do like the gear leaver itself in the new one vs the old. They also have done away with the E-break lever. probably moving to a button style. which is nice.

Next is the in-between seats box area. I don't know why they let the boss's child design it, but that appears to be the case. the nice chrome ring around the cup holders is gone replaced by a much larger hairy ravine. And there is a greater separation between driver and shotgun. It looks a lot more elegant in the 2015 model.

I like the exterior of the car, from what I've seen. but I'm very unconvinced of the interior. As someone who is looking for a car (sedan) in the near term I am disappointed in what Honda have turned up this time around. But this could all be sorted cause it is, after all, a test car. So here is to hoping that these pictures are not how the car will ship.
Well given that the test car is the lowest trim level and the picture of the 15 you're using for comparison is an EXL the differences are going to be more dramatic. The 15 base coupes have matte finish on the center console also, which doesn't look bad in person. I'd assume they'll use a shiny gloss plastic for the upper trims. The screen in this is effective just the iMID. This could change before the final version, but again, base model. The upper trims will have the same 7" touch screen that comes in the 15 EX and above. It might also get the dual zone climate control touch screen from the HRV which will further enhance things.

I don't think the design is bad. Its simpler yes, but its more in line with hondas current family interior language of the HRV, Fit, and Pilot. Im pretty sure there will be a mix of digital and analog gauges in the cluster area which will continue hondas trend of keeping eyes on the road (large number that low are still visible in peripheral vision).

We have to keep in mind also that this tester hasn't been detail or cleaned. There are wires everywhere. Everything looks dirty and scratched because it's probably been put through hell in testing. I'm confident that we will see changes from this to the production car (extra trim pieces added, chrome bits, etc) and even more so on the upper trim levels just like the current car.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
I think that 2015 interior is a mess. The "cab forward" design of that gen Civic creates a large, deep dashboard that is like a sea of plastic. The AC vents are in random places AND THEN lined in silver as if to bring attention to their random nature. The overall interior design of the recent Civics seems to try too hard, which distracts from the true essence of the car, which may be intentional since the current Civic doesn't have much to offer??

Honda has said that they intend to return to the Civic's roots, so toning down the outlandish dash would make sense.

The new shifter setup and center console is an improvement, and I wouldn't mind less screens in the new car. I don't give 2 cents about LCD screens and technology in a car. In 5 years people will be boo-booing the resolutions of those screens (maybe they ALREADY do??) and their inability to connect with iPhone8 or Galaxy 8. I just want my car to drive well, be reliable and not look like some half-baked automotive avante garde experiment.

I should confess though, the 4th Gen Prelude had a similarly unique/weird dash design, many people in 1992 hated it at first, and eventually came to "accept it" (much like the current Civic" but at that time I actually liked that design, and still do. It is unique, I think at one point the Avalon copied it.

Viet_Racer

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic EM1
Country flag

I much prefer the new layout in the Gen X prototype, even with towels, wires and crap everywhere. Having two levels of instruments and readouts not only doesn't look good but is hard to use IMO. Your eyes can shift left-right much faster than up-down.

Have we seen any pics yet of the gauge color? I wonder if Honda is sticking with the same white-blue color scheme.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I much prefer the new layout in the Gen X prototype, even with towels, wires and crap everywhere. Having two levels of instruments and readouts not only doesn't look good but is hard to use IMO. Your eyes can shift left-right much faster than up-down.

Have we seen any pics yet of the gauge color? I wonder if Honda is sticking with the same white-blue color scheme.
No images of gauges. Hence the speculation on whether they'll continue to do a mix of digital and analog gauges in the cluster. I would assume the blue/white is staying since the Si and Type R have the amber/red illumination.

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
No images of gauges. Hence the speculation on whether they'll continue to do a mix of digital and analog gauges in the cluster. I would assume the blue/white is staying since the Si and Type R have the amber/red illumination.
Also judging by the 'V' shape in the cluster, I would have to believe that there will be digital gauges; wouldn't make sense to make a triangular design and then insert traditional round gauges.

As for the color, it would be awesome if they made it adjustable. Stick some LEDs back there and let us decide what color we like best.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Right? The color "theme" on the iMID is adjustable between blue, gray, amber and red. It'd be cool if they did adjustable colors for the gauges, but definitely not holding my breath. Honda doesn't usually do cool little things like that. That's a feature i'd expect on a Scion or something.

s2ker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000
Right? The color "theme" on the iMID is adjustable between blue, gray, amber and red. It'd be cool if they did adjustable colors for the gauges, but definitely not holding my breath. Honda doesn't usually do cool little things like that. That's a feature i'd expect on a Scion or something.
Yea different colored lights seemed to be gimmicky to me in the past but now that it's so common, I think it might be kind of neat. You can pick a color that best coordinates with your exterior too :)

Shortbus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Fit Blue Sensation
Next we'll have custom scented interiors of your choosing :doh: I just want my interiors/gauges useful and sporty and that's all I need. The new dashboard looks just fine to me and a bit cleaned up - especially the main gauges area.

For me though, half of what makes a good interior is how good the materials and ergonomics feel... and we can't tell those just based off some photos. Not even once production photos come out, I get to sit in one and feel around.

Yea different colored lights seemed to be gimmicky to me in the past but now that it's so common, I think it might be kind of neat. You can pick a color that best coordinates with your exterior too :)

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Next we'll have custom scented interiors of your choosing :doh: I just want my interiors/gauges useful and sporty and that's all I need. The new dashboard looks just fine to me and a bit cleaned up - especially the main gauges area.

For me though, half of what makes a good interior is how good the materials and ergonomics feel... and we can't tell those just based off some photos. Not even once production photos come out, I get to sit in one and feel around.
You need a Mercedes S-Class to choose your own interior scent. I don't think adjustable lighting is that silly.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You need a Mercedes S-Class to choose your own interior scent. I don't think adjustable lighting is that silly.
Not really silly, maybe a bit gimmicky. Honda has offered interior light packages on the civics for a while, you just can't change said color. Now the camaro comes with color changing interior lighting (but that doesn't include the gauges, its just the footwell lighting) and scion offers it as an option on their cars and they have 7 colors to choose from. I think honda likes the idea of the guages changing color based on fuel consumption. Green to teal to blue on the current civics. But color change footwell lighting could be cool i guess. I doubt we'll see color change gauges just for the fact honda likes their eco assist gauges so much, pretty much all their cars have it now. But being able to change the footwell lighting to match the color themes of the infotainment screen would be kinda cool. Maybe as an option, i don't see it as a standard feature except MAYBE the touring model (because footwell lighting is so posh? haha)

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not really silly, maybe a bit gimmicky. Honda has offered interior light packages on the civics for a while, you just can't change said color. Now the camaro comes with color changing interior lighting (but that doesn't include the gauges, its just the footwell lighting) and scion offers it as an option on their cars and they have 7 colors to choose from. I think honda likes the idea of the guages changing color based on fuel consumption. Green to teal to blue on the current civics. But color change footwell lighting could be cool i guess. I doubt we'll see color change gauges just for the fact honda likes their eco assist gauges so much, pretty much all their cars have it now. But being able to change the footwell lighting to match the color themes of the infotainment screen would be kinda cool. Maybe as an option, i don't see it as a standard feature except MAYBE the touring model (because footwell lighting is so posh? haha)
The Ford Fiesta has footwell/cup holder light chanagability. I was talking about the gauges in particular and I guess even more specifically, the Si gauges. Everything is red and there is nothing you can do about it. On the new HR-V you can change the eco-light-at-rest color (seven options) but when you're driving good it will always go to green, though the intermediate color changes (not always teal).

I guess it's a bit gimmicky, but I would still appreciate being able to 'personalize' it a bit.

martyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boring Accord family hauler

The scent thing is silly but we'll never see it in a Civic. Changing lights is a good feature though. You get to pick your exterior color when you buy the car right? Too bad that can't be changed from time to time but at least you can do it with interior lighting. Lets you customize the mood and look and also keep things fresh for when you get bored.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Ford Mustangs have had the (or HAD, not keeping up with Mustangs) "MyColor" thing for a while now:
Usually I am fine with anything that has brightly lit needles and avoids yellow/green and orange colors.
Also, back in the day the early 90's Galant GSX and VR-4 the ability to choose between orange or green dash lights.

The only time I am bothered by dash light color is when the color is orange. Nissan had a hard-on for this ugly color for years. I have a Titan that has (had) orange LED interior lighting. Years ago I swapped out the orange LEDs for mostly white LEDs with some red and blue in strategic locations. The interior looks a million times better.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OMG i remember Nissans love affair with orange. Even the 06 Sentra i tested before i got my 07 Civic coupe had that ugly orange backlighting (even the little radio display screen). It was so ugly, and almost impossible to see through polarized sunglasses in the daylight. I like the base civic choice of blue (its my favorite color) and i probably wouldn't see myself changing it from blue... but if i had an Si i'd definitely want to be able to switch to something other than red.
Sponsored