shan0mak

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
Lots of people say to run the car, and switch the gears, so more oil can be added. Wonder which is the right way.
Changing the gears pushes more fluid out maybe, but replacing what came out with the same amount back isn’t necessarily wrong. I got over 4 quarts out.

The issue with measuring is the fluid viscosity or density can alter measured amount. So at best I estimated even though I replaced within half a tenth of a quart accuracy measured... it could be off more than that actual.

I actually might do another drain and fill to get more new fluid in in another 10k miles now that I’ve located the drain bolt. I did check my fill level once I found it and it was just a drip as needed.

Barticus520

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic sport touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Old ramps will damage asphalt. I have 30+ year old ramps made of metal that would destroy asphalt. Never use them lol.

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
Lots of people say to run the car, and switch the gears, so more oil can be added. Wonder which is the right way.
I ran the car to operating temp and then ran through the gears holding each gear for about 5 seconds. I believe that is what the service manual calls for. Just do the measurement method in addition to that.
Sponsored