2016 Civic EX - with 80K km (50K miles) - transmission oil change DIY or dealer

razz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sentra
Country flag
Hi Folks,

My civic gave me a code 3 maintenance, to change the transmission oil. My car has an extended 160K km extended power-train warranty. How good are the transmissions on the civics? I've started doing my own engine oil changes which saves me $50 per change, which I assume voids my power-train warranty on the engine. But should I go ahead and swap the transmission oil or have the dealer do it, as proof of record? I'd only save $90 on the transmission oil change. But if I let the dealer do it, I assume the transmission warranty stays in tack, right?

Cheers,
Sponsored

Last edited:

Barticus520

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic sport touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would bring it to the dealer. You can’t fully change it yourself. You can only change about half of the fluid. Cost me about 220 to fully change it at the dealer.

Barticus520

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry ask for a full fluid change not a drain and fill.

OP
OP

razz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sentra
Country flag
Is there a cost difference between full and drain service? Watched a youtube video it seems you have to fill run the engine, shifting through gears and then fill some more. The last 0.5 litre will go in unless you run through the gears. So yea you can fill most of the 3.7 litres. My concern is warranty and how reliable are the new gen CVT transmission? Read in the previous gen. they had issues as you can't swap the transmission oil filter.

I may just take it to the dealer to have transmission warranty for the next 3 years / 80K km.

Barticus520

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Changing your own is about 4 quarts. Total fluid was like 8 quarts. At least that’s what I remember. Could be wrong. You can change yourself but it is mixing with the old fluid and you would have to drain, fill, run and shift, then drain and fill again. I paid like 120 for a drain and fill accidentally thinking it is was full replacement one time. So a full replacement is about double the price.

also the partial replacement from my experience doesn’t last even half as long as the full replacement. Just looked and it is 8 quarts for a full change

How to partial drain and fill.
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/how-to-change-transmission-oil-on-1-5t-cvt.31029/

Last edited:

Barticus520

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I used to drain and refill but the cvt would start making noise and fluid smelt burnt only maybe 10000 miles later. Should last 30000. When I bring it for a full change at the dealer it lasts 25-30000 miles.

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
I'm just curious why a tranny would be noisy and have a burnt smell following a drain and fill as per the shop manual.
Maybe someone in this forum can explain this with technical reasons.
I don't want to argue, I'm curious.

OP
OP

razz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sentra
Country flag
I've just called the dealer, and the service rep said Honda does not do a transmission flush. Just a drain and fill. So if Honda does not recommend it, do not see a reason to do it. He mentioned something about sucking the fluid out can move some part out of place (did not catch the exact reason).

So if you guys are doing a flush, I assume it is not at the Honda dealership.

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
I've just called the dealer, and the service rep said Honda does not do a transmission flush. Just a drain and fill. So if Honda does not recommend it, do not see a reason to do it. He mentioned something about sucking the fluid out can move some part out of place (did not catch the exact reason).

So if you guys are doing a flush, I assume it is not at the Honda dealership.
Thanks for the info.
The last time I did a complete transmission flush(including torque converter) was on my 1996 Monte Carlo, I don't know if it was the cause, but one of the clutch inside the transmission broke after about 25k. Since then, I drain and refill when it's due for maintenance. As per the shop manual.

Barticus520

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok. Never heard any of that before but the transmission was flushed around 50000 miles and I’m at 91000 now without issues. I guess I won’t be doing that anymore. And yes it was at a Honda dealer but don’t trust them so don’t go to them anymore. Atlantic Honda in Long Island.

my fluid would get hot during the summer. I drive an hour each way to work and home daily and stop and go traffic. The fluid gets hot and mixing new with old fluid wouldn’t last the full 30000 for me.

third thing and anyone correct me if I’m wrong but the transmission fluid is cooled with the engine coolant. This would allow the transmission fluid to technically get as hot as the coolant. That’s too hot and can cause the fluid to burn.

Barticus520

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks I’m going to check soon. Yes I was thinking about getting rid of the Warner and installing a cooler but been lazy.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
Have the dealer change the fluid. The CVT may be the most precise technically sophisticated drivetrain component in the car. If you make a mistake changing the fluid you could generate a large repair bill.

The $60+ labor charge you pay them is cheap insurance compared to a $2000+ bill for changing out the transmission.

Subaru does not recommend changing their CVT fluid. They're concerned more harm could be done by making a mistake changing the fluid than using the OEM fluid for most of the life of the car.

So many of the Honda cars have CVTs that the dealer service shops have become quite skilled at changing the fluid correctly.

Would you rather have someone do the job who has done it many, many times or you doing it the first time on your car?
Sponsored