2016 Civic EX-T Won't Turn/Stay Off

aram000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX=T
Country flag
Hi all, I seem to have a very weird problem on my hands. My car just does not want to turn off! This problem came out of nowhere and has started less than 24 hours ago. I drove it in the morning to work with no problems, but as I was about to get in my car to leave, the problems began, First off, my keyless entry/fob unlock wasn't working, I thought my fob must have died. Oh well. I manually unlocked the car and all was well. I thought this was weird, so I turned on my car and motor just to see if anything was acting up. Normal. I turned the car back off and got outside. My car alarm started blasting. I had to manually open the car again, but the light would not turn off. I started the motor once more, all was well. But here's where it gets weird. I tried to turn the car back off, but it would not. The motor would shut off, but the car would remain in the ON/RUN mode where the instrument panel is all lit up. No matter how many times I press the START/STOP button, it just loops through Accessory and ON/RUN.

Since the motor turn on normally, I just drove home, and as luck would have it, everything turned off normally. But a few hours later, my car alarm went off again with no one near it, and I had to manually unlock the car again (this time I knew my key fob battery wasn't dead). The blinking red light stayed on and the car would be in Accessory mode. Pressing the START/STOP button kept looping through those 2 modes. Turning the motor on allows me to drive it normally, but jitters the electronics inside when I decide to turn it off. Once everything is off, sometimes the instrument panel turn on again by itself.

Does anyone know what could be the problem? Dealership said they'd never seen it before and could only run a diagnostic on it, but I already checked my OBD reader and no codes were thrown. I am out of warranty so dealership is my last resort. Any and all help is appreciated! Posted a video just in case you didn't want to read all this.

PS: I just replaced my old battery with a brand new battery 3 weeks ago, tested all good, so this should not be a problem...I hope.

Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Test both car battery and fob battery. Disconnect dash cam and any other mods that have any connection to anything electrical. Reset 'system' via battery disconnect. I don't think that this stuff will show up in an OBD code.

I'll politely emphasize the car battery once more. There are many, many threads here where, despite the battery test, the issue was, in fact, the battery. If yours is old; it may be worth replacing it now. Most any tech's first question seems to always be re: the battery's age and aftermarket mods.

I'm not a tech or an electrical engineer. I've just read a shit-ton of threads where the car's system has gone 'kookoo bananas'. Battery/mods is the usual culprit followed by marmot damage under the hood.

Good luck.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Try to open then close your hood and trunk and every one of your doors. Only reason car alarm would ever go off is because one of those are pryed open. Unless you got a aftermarket alarm installed I’d check the connection on that.
Sponsored