2016 Civic EX-T - shaky bumpy ride in cold weather?

ziggystarbones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan (Sensing)
Hi! Is anyone else finding this car to be unbelievably shaky/bumpy in cold weather?

Canadian here, and this car drove GREAT up until it started hitting -30degrees C (-22F)...took it on the highway and it was literally Bouncing like a 1997 rap video. Since it warmed up it's a bit better, but is still bouncy as hell over the smallest bumps, and constantly feels shaky.

Is this normal? I've taken it to the dealership, and they removed ice/snow buildup but otherwise said it was fine. My 2007 Civic Coupe felt like a '74 Grand Prix in comparison to this :(

Thanks!
Sponsored

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would assume since you live in an area with climate like that, you're familiar with the car care that goes with it.

But... did you make sure there was no ice/snow in the barrel of the wheels? Did you make sure the car was to a proper temperature prior to driving? Did you use a block heater at all? Does the bouncing change with vehicle speed or engine speed? There is a lot of diagnostic information we would require to have any idea what the issue would be.

If your dealer said it's fine and they had to remove ice/snow build up... I would say that's all it was. An out of balance wheel is a serious thing when you start going fast.

Last edited:

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 honda hybrid, 2009 Honda Fit, 2015 Honda CRV
Hi! Is anyone else finding this car to be unbelievably shaky/bumpy in cold weather?

Canadian here, and this car drove GREAT up until it started hitting -30degrees C (-22F)...took it on the highway and it was literally Bouncing like a 1997 rap video. Since it warmed up it's a bit better, but is still bouncy as hell over the smallest bumps, and constantly feels shaky.

Is this normal? I've taken it to the dealership, and they removed ice/snow buildup but otherwise said it was fine. My 2007 Civic Coupe felt like a '74 Grand Prix in comparison to this :(

Thanks!

Same thing happened to me. BUT, it was after a snow storm where I had to drive through 6 inches plus of snow. But someone mentioned that it probably was due to snow and ice build up. Took the car to the carwash and cleaned it up some and the bumpiness was better. After the temps got up to above freezing it totally went away.

I'm pretty sure it's not the cold as it continues to be cold here but the ride is still smooth. After the last snowstorm it got bumpy again. Cleaned it up and it's as smooth as ever. Note that this never occurred with my 2005 Civic. So there must be something about the design of these 10th gen Civics that allows snow and ice build up to mess with the ride characteristics.

If possible keep the car in a heated place after it snows?

OP
OP

ziggystarbones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would assume since you live in an area with climate like that, you're familiar with the car care that goes with it.

But... did you make sure there was no ice/snow in the barrel of the wheels? Did you make sure the car was to a proper temperature prior to driving? Did you use a block heater at all? Does the bouncing change with vehicle speed or engine speed? There is a lot of diagnostic information we would require to have any idea what the issue would be.

If your dealer said it's fine and they had to remove ice/snow build up... I would say that's all it was. An out of balance wheel is a serious thing when you start going fast.
Thanks! At the dealership they removed all ice/snow buildup, and it drove about the same afterwards. And yeah block-heaters are essential here, the car is always warmed up and good to go.

I actually notice that at super-slow speeds (approaching a red light for example) it has a jagged tugging thing happening, as if there was a bump in the tires and at every rotation it drags slightly. Trying my best to be descriptive haha...I just have never experienced anything like this before, and for a brand new car this freaks me out.

OP
OP

ziggystarbones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same thing happened to me. BUT, it was after a snow storm where I had to drive through 6 inches plus of snow. But someone mentioned that it probably was due to snow and ice build up. Took the car to the carwash and cleaned it up some and the bumpiness was better. After the temps got up to above freezing it totally went away.

I'm pretty sure it's not the cold as it continues to be cold here but the ride is still smooth. After the last snowstorm it got bumpy again. Cleaned it up and it's as smooth as ever. Note that this never occurred with my 2005 Civic. So there must be something about the design of these 10th gen Civics that allows snow and ice build up to mess with the ride characteristics.

If possible keep the car in a heated place after it snows?
Thanks I'll definitely try taking it for a wash. It's reassuring (and equally frustrating) hearing someone else have the exact same symptoms. I just can't believe it.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
By any chance have you checked your tire pressures? Check it when tires are cold to touch after not driving for atleast 2 hours. Should be 32 psi all four wheels. Dealers tend to overinflate for some reason which causes rougher ride.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks! At the dealership they removed all ice/snow buildup, and it drove about the same afterwards. And yeah block-heaters are essential here, the car is always warmed up and good to go.

I actually notice that at super-slow speeds (approaching a red light for example) it has a jagged tugging thing happening, as if there was a bump in the tires and at every rotation it drags slightly. Trying my best to be descriptive haha...I just have never experienced anything like this before, and for a brand new car this freaks me out.
Do you feel it in the brake pedal? You would have to have one seriously warped rotor, but just throwing things out there.

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 honda hybrid, 2009 Honda Fit, 2015 Honda CRV

Block heaters won't address this issue. It has to do with snow and ice on the suspension/wheels.
Sponsored