First Name
Hogan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Hey y’all,
I’ve been searching around the forums and I guess my car was one of the unlucky ones that came down with what looks like a CVT Housing leak… I’m still only at 75k of my 100K warranty thankfully so hopefully the dealer covers it.
However, I wanted to see if anyone else recently ran into the same problem, seeing as the 10th gen has been out for a while now.
If you’ve had the same problem, did it look like the photos below? If so, what did the dealership tell you when you brought it to get it diagnosed?
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic EX-T CVT Oil Leak 8E06846F-462E-4C1B-B2F7-6CFA207673C9
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic EX-T CVT Oil Leak 61F7A569-5FE2-40A3-9B83-F661D63A7824

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am probably wrong, but that looks like engine oil?? My CVT fluid was pretty clean when I changed it.

OP
OP

heyitshogan

First Name
Hogan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I am probably wrong, but that looks like engine oil?? My CVT fluid was pretty clean when I changed it.
I discovered it just recently when changing my engine oil. It’s a bit dried up / semi-slick still but it’s only dirty from all the dirt/grit that the road kicks up.

OP
OP

heyitshogan

First Name
Hogan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Looks like we have a similar issue but I’m at only 25k miles. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow for diagnosis.

let me know what you discover and what your dealer says

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/mysterious-leak-on-17-touring-sedan.65904/
Let me know what your dealer does s for you. I’m taking mine in Wednesday morning. Praying my entire transmission needs to get changed under warranty so I’ll have a partially new car haha… One of my Honda tech friends said their foreman tells them to wipe it up hence why I took so many photos to show them just in case they say they didn’t see anything…

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Torque converter seal is leaking. We see it all the time. The transmission will come out of the car but only a simple oil seal will be replaced, no other work is done to the transmission.

OP
OP

heyitshogan

First Name
Hogan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Torque converter seal is leaking. We see it all the time. The transmission will come out of the car but only a simple oil seal will be replaced, no other work is done to the transmission.
Thanks for the insight!!! Hopefully this is the issue. Maybe this will perhaps fix my car from being so jerky/rough on acceleration.

OP
OP

heyitshogan

First Name
Hogan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Update:

took my car to the dealership and they said the transmissions case just needed to be tightened… and that they wanted me to come back in 10,000 miles. Not what I really wanted to hear but not much I can do. It was all covered under warranty.
Sponsored