2016 Civic EX-L coupe Amp going into protect

PapaScuds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
I've had a Kicker 1200w (CXA6001) amp and a Kicker 12" (VCWR122) sub installed in my 2016 Civic EX-L coupe. When I'm in drive, the amp goes into protect mode causing my sub to cut out. We've tested the subwoofer and replaced the amp with the same one and the issue still occurs. We've also ensured that the ground is good.

I have not replicated this issue while in park. This leads me to believe that it may be an electrical issue such as the battery or the alternator not being powerful enough for the setup.

May be worth mentioning that even before upgrading the system, I needed the factory amp replaced because it was malfunctioning. Also, we have the factory sub disconnected at this time.

Any ideas on what could be causing this issue?
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I've had a Kicker 1200w (CXA6001) amp and a Kicker 12" (VCWR122) sub installed in my 2016 Civic EX-L coupe. When I'm in drive, the amp goes into protect mode causing my sub to cut out. We've tested the subwoofer and replaced the amp with the same one and the issue still occurs. We've also ensured that the ground is good.

I have not replicated this issue while in park. This leads me to believe that it may be an electrical issue such as the battery or the alternator not being powerful enough for the setup.

May be worth mentioning that even before upgrading the system, I needed the factory amp replaced because it was malfunctioning. Also, we have the factory sub disconnected at this time.

Any ideas on what could be causing this issue?
In a normally functioning system, power should not be a problem. However, if you can hook up a voltmeter while you are driving and see if the voltage drops significantly at any point, then you could pinpoint it to an electrical issue.

OP
OP

PapaScuds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
In a normally functioning system, power should not be a problem. However, if you can hook up a voltmeter while you are driving and see if the voltage drops significantly at any point, then you could pinpoint it to an electrical issue.
The tech who installed it said they did notice a drop from the alternator but it was a standard drop that you'd normally see when going into drive.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
The tech who installed it said they did notice a drop from the alternator but it was a standard drop that you'd normally see when going into drive.
Are you saying that you don't actually have to drive the car to have it go into protect mode, just put the gear shifter into drive?

OP
OP

PapaScuds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Are you saying that you don't actually have to drive the car to have it go into protect mode, just put the gear shifter into drive?
Yes, that is exactly it.

Edit: And its not constant, it will go in and out of protect, even when not actually driving the vehicle, just in gear.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Yes, that is exactly it.

Edit: And its not constant, it will go in and out of protect, even when not actually driving the vehicle, just in gear.
Ok. Sounds too coincidental to be a separate issue from the original amp. I assume you are using the same power lead from the original amp to power the Kicker? If so, maybe you can try wiring it directly to the battery (with an inline fuse)?

OP
OP

PapaScuds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Ok. Sounds too coincidental to be a separate issue from the original amp. I assume you are using the same power lead from the original amp to power the Kicker? If so, maybe you can try wiring it directly to the battery (with an inline fuse)?
Yeah, I'll have to give it a shot. I'll post back after I try it out.
Sponsored