2016 civic ex, do I have to go to dealer for oil change?

fuhongl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Country flag
Is that a good idea? or is it ok to go to any mama papa stores?
I ask the question, because I don't know if dealer owns any oil fluid exclusively.
Sponsored

Deleted member 26142

I ask the question, because I don't know if dealer owns any oil fluid exclusively.
You should be alright, unless you have some kind of lifetime warranty with them that requires you to take it only to them too keep the warranty valid. Other than that you can take it anywhere or do it yourself

RobXsi

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nata
Country flag

Youre allowed to change your oil as you wish. Your warranty will not be effected.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
It is a simple 15 mins job with the right tools (especially a lift). Any API certified 0W20 Oil will do. So No, you dont have to go to the dealer.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
It depends. What color is the car?

Jk. No.

/thread.

alias Igme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo 156, Honda Civic (1.5t hatchback)
Country flag
Before July 1 - Monday, I would have said that it is safer to let the dealer do it.
But then they forgot to screw the under shield and tried to pin the blame on me hitting something ...

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Before July 1 - Monday, I would have said that it is safer to let the dealer do it.
But then they forgot to screw the under shield and tried to pin the blame on me hitting something ...
The statements below are MY understanding of the Honda Warranty terms, and are my own personal comments. You are advised to verify the facts yourself, and assure yourself that any advise you take from me, have been verified my yourself.
Follow my suggestions at your OWN RISK

You are not REQUIRED to have the Dealer change your oil, to maintain your normal warranty.
However, if the Dealer does it, there is an official record, that Honda can use to verify that oil changes were done as required to satisfy the warranty.

You can certainly change the Oil yourself, or have anyone else competent enough to do it, do it for you but you SHOULD maintain a record of when (date & mileage) the oil change was carried out, and proof that you used an approved oil and filter. Purchase receipts dated just before the oil change would be ideal.

If you are going to do maintenance work on the Car yourself, you would be very wise to document the work done.
One way to do this is to use MyCarFax, where you can can maintain your own Non-Dealer maintenance, and it will also "automatically" pick up and include any work you choose to have your dealer do. I am pretty sure you can add pictures or scans to your own Carfax records, so you can include copies of receipts etc, in your OFFICIAL MyCarFax record.

And it's FREE !!! Checking it out -- you have nothing to loose and a lot to gain.

I have a MyCarFax account for both the 2018 Si. and my 32 year old Nissan Maxima.
Both show things like State Inspections (automatically) as well as estimated current mileage and reminders for things like Oil changes, registration and state emissions inspections.

Lastly, if you use it, I would advise you keep Current Printouts etc.. its a FREE service, but who knows where it might go in the future, ie Like anything else COMPUTER related -- KEEP BACKUPS !!

mc21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
I personally do but it's because the Honda dealer is actually cheaper than most other places around me. I would however keep the receipts/ invoices from where you decide to get it done if you have a warranty.
Sponsored