2016 Civic Ex Car Starts then dies.

coffy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
As the titles says. I installed honda hack ( I don't think that did it. I uninstalled anyway) I had to be jumped yesterday then woke up this morning and still needed jumped the no avial. I replaced the battery today thinking it was that. The car will not start past two seconds. Now it is dead in the garage.
All stock except hid that had been on the car since I bought it in 2016. Morimoto.
Ive tried clearing the ecr, disconnecting the battery to reset the system, new battery, removing honda hack.

I will have to get it tow to a local garage as a honda dealer is over an hour away. Any ideas what else it could be or I could try before.

Here is a video
Sponsored

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Have you checked the fuses? Sorry it just my guess, I don't know much about cars.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Looking at your post you said you tried a new battery, so I guess that's ruled out. You're car also seems to start up and turn over just fine too, so at that point i'm thinking it's electrical most likely. Impossible to say without looking at it in person though, we can only guess. Maybe someone else on here has another idea, but I feel like your best bet is to get it towed and looked at asap and if you're under warranty, maybe it'll be covered.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Maybe try holding the fob up to the start button? A dead battery in the fob is my only idea. It's easy enough to try, anyway.

Good luck.

Civicfan375

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex
Country flag
Looks like the security light comes on after it dies, the little red light in the left bottom corner. That comes on and blinks when you lock the car. Seems like the cars security system is shutting the engine down, try fully depressing the brake pedal as hard as you can and start it.

OP
OP

coffy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Honda thinks the keys may need resynced and the security isn't letting the car stay on. That my battery died and I possibly waited too long with the battery disconnected. The keys unlock but would not allow the proximity sensor to lock and unlock. My buddy manages at a car place and is going to try to used their code thing to reset the keys and see if that fixes it. Like I said, I live far from a honda dealer. It is Not under warranty any longer so he called Honda (manages a non honda garage) they suggested to try that first. So we will try that tomorrow as I had to bring broth keys. My guess this is probably it with the security and immobilizer? If not it will have to go to the dealer. I will keep you posted.

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:
OP
OP

coffy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
They were unable to resync. Getting it towed to the honda dealer.

markooo

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic lx coupe
Country flag
I currently have the exact same problem. Car turns over , starts , and shuts off. Red light on dash
What do we do??

OP
OP

coffy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I currently have the exact same problem. Car turns over , starts , and shuts off. Red light on dash
What do we do??
Had to get a new battery and resync all the key to the muer

BestCarEver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX HS, 2015 Jetta Trendline+
Country flag
Had this problem twice. First time I just waited and it started, the second time I charged the battery, while the positive and negative leads were disconnected from the battery, I shorted them together to drain any residual charge from the system, reconnected the charged battery. First start was flashing, second time long crank and fired up. My mechanic friend suggested this to me, sounded pretty freaking nutty, but I had to pick up my kid from school and with no power to any of the electrical systems there was no energy to cause any harm. Anyhow, basically the car needed hard reset I guess. My battery was disconnected for a long time for charging by the way. I am getting used to dealing with this shit, first time it was a real ordeal. The car actually went through the "systems initializing" routine much quicker then ever before, all settings were preserved, recognized all keys, including the remote starter fob. Hope this helps, everything you do is your own fault btw..

Edwardk

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Im facing the same problem. Can i know how was it resolved?

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Too bad that so many member on many forums don't come back to report