camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
There is no timing belt, Honda is using timing chains, good for the life of the car.
I am aware of this fact, I was using it to illustrate a point. That said, there are other things that require some amount of tear down, including water pump, thermostats, etc.
Sponsored

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Right now that is exactly what I have . My dealership towed my car back to the dealership and I am on a rental...
How many miles on the Civic?

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
880 miles!
Awfully nice of the dealer to do that. If you'd said 50, I would have been less surprised. I wonder (would be surprised) if they got Honda to approve that. If not, they are probably going to end up paying for it.

Keith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
And what I said was that if this problem has a sided-ness, it was because of sided-ness of the tooling, not because of sided-ness of the pistons. We are agreeing.
So does it stand to reason to you that going into the recall inspection Honda already knows it's limited to one circlip per piston(4 per engine) and all on the same side because of the methodology of their manufacturing process?

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So does it stand to reason to you that going into the recall inspection Honda already knows it's limited to one circlip per piston(4 per engine) and all on the same side because of the methodology of their manufacturing process?
No it doesn't. Because I don't know that they set the snap rings sided--i.e., their assembly method. They may use the same tool and turn the piston around to set the second ring. Or their issue may have applied to their tooling for both sides. We have no clue.

And I'm not sure looking at eight or four makes any difference in the greater overall scheme of things. Even if Honda knew their issue had a sided-ness, telling tech to test both sides avoids them confusing sides while doing the inspection.

Last edited:

worldconcepts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX with Honda Sensing
I am just wondering if anyone has actually experienced any symptoms related to this recall? What should we be looking for? I called Honda last week and they said my Civic is on the affected VIN list. I have already put more than 3000 miles on this car and haven't noticed anything yet. The oil life is only 70% now.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am just wondering if anyone has actually experienced any symptoms related to this recall?
There has been one hearsay cite in the forums I follow of a dealer car that exhibited symptoms and was diagnosed with internal damage resulting from this issue. Beyond that:
I infer from the quote, from Honda Canada, translated by a poster, "Till date 1 case due to this problem has been raised in Canada and more in US" that they have field reports, one in Canada, and "more" in the US, of engine damage/failure presenting, that Honda causal analysis identified as resulting from this issue. I'm not sure they'd say this if those cases weren't found in cars "in the wild" i.e., not in Honda testing. Getting a tech line call from a tech at a dealer about a damaged cylinder wall and a loose piston pin would certainly have gotten pretty quick attention.
It has been stated several times in this thread by @StevieOntario that a car with more than a hundred miles on it is very unlikely to have this problem and not presented symptoms. This seems entirely reasonable. With 3,000 miles and no symptoms you are highly likely to have all the snap rings exactly where they are supposed to be.

pinoyBalot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Acura MDX, 2016 Honda Civic EX-L
I am just wondering if anyone has actually experienced any symptoms related to this recall? What should we be looking for? I called Honda last week and they said my Civic is on the affected VIN list. I have already put more than 3000 miles on this car and haven't noticed anything yet. The oil life is only 70% now.

Same here, I am @ 3K miles but the oil life is still @ 70%? I wonder how accurate this is? How many miles should we do our first oil change?

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
I am @ 3K miles but the oil life is still @ 70%? I wonder how accurate this is?
Many cars of the last decade have recommended 10K miles between oil changes under normal conditions, so 70% at 3K miles does not sound unreasonable at all.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How many miles should we do our first oil change?
There is no magic number of miles. When the Maintenance Minder says you are down to 15% life seems like a good time to schedule it. At that point it will start letting you know.

CDN16LX6MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6MT
Just got a call from my dealer. They just received an internal bulletin stating cars manufactured after Jan 8, 2016 shouldn't be affected. Mine was manufactured Nov 2015 so I'm still in.

This information should be validated by other dealers, and obviously, officially by Honda.

freakyboyz007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Just got a call from my dealer. They just received an internal bulletin stating cars manufactured after Jan 8, 2016 shouldn't be affected. Mine was manufactured Nov 2015 so I'm still in.

This information should be validated by other dealers, and obviously, officially by Honda.
Mine is 2016 civic EX, MFG dec 2015, honda america indiana factory, it is not in affected list. i think it is based on facility where it is manufactured.

BBurgDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Outback
Country flag
Mine is 2016 civic EX, MFG dec 2015, honda america indiana factory, it is not in affected list. i think it is based on facility where it is manufactured.
The facility (and date range) where the Engine (not the vehicle) was manufactured.