Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The recently revealed 2016 Civic Coupe presents a major upgrade to the 9th generation coupe, not only mechanically, but also stylistically. To highlight this, we put together some side by side comparison images.

Compared to the outgoing 9th gen Civic coupe, the 2016 Civic Coupe is 1.1 inches shorter, 1.4 inch shorter front overhang, 1.9 inches wider, nearly 0.3 inches lower, and has a 2.9 inch longer wheelbase.

Also see: 2016 Civic sedan vs. outgoing sedan comparison

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic Coupe vs outgoing 9th Gen Coupe comparison 2016-civic-vs-2015-civic-1

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic Coupe vs outgoing 9th Gen Coupe comparison 2016-civic-vs-2015-civic-2

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic Coupe vs outgoing 9th Gen Coupe comparison 2016-civic-vs-2015-civic-3

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic Coupe vs outgoing 9th Gen Coupe comparison 2016-civic-vs-2015-civic-4

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic Coupe vs outgoing 9th Gen Coupe comparison 2016-civic-vs-2015-civic-5

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic Coupe vs outgoing 9th Gen Coupe comparison 2016-civic-vs-2015-civic-6

Last edited:

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Such a huge improvement. So much more mature looking, like something an ADULT would drive. haha. Obviously the interior and the mechanics are the biggest improvement overall, but i'd say while i didn't totally hate the 9th gen coupe styling (i drive one) the back end is the biggest improvement overall for the exterior, both with the new taillight design and the slope of the rear window.

While the 9th gen had a certain anime-esque sporty look to it, the 10th gen has a more grown up, traditional sporting look to it like a proper sports coupe should with the short overhangs and swept back cabin.

MMM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fit
Great comparison images. Amazing how much styling alone can transform a car from looking economy to premium. 2016 Civic Coupe just looks like a more expensive and premium car, even though it won't be more $. And it's just much more attractive overall.

CaptK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru XV Crosstek
Great comparison images. Amazing how much styling alone can transform a car from looking economy to premium. 2016 Civic Coupe just looks like a more expensive and premium car, even though it won't be more $. And it's just much more attractive overall.
+1 Usually with a new model there are some upgrades and downgrades in terms of styling but the 10th gen Civic Coupe is an upgrade in every way.

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8), 2007 Civic Si (FG2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
great thread... is there one floating around here for the sedan? if so, it should be linked in the OP... just my suggestion since i'll be getting the sedan...

as for the comparisons, the mirror is one of the biggest aesthetic improvements IMO... i've always hated the way the 9th gen had that extra window with the plastic piece and a mirror that just seemed to be thrown on the side of the door... that A-pillar is a huge improvement as well... looks much smaller and i bet visibility has improved quite a bit because of it... i'm hoping to get my sedan sooner than the coupe will be released... but if that doesn't work like planned and it's close enough, i might end up with the coupe lol...

OT: @Administrator is there a thread for forum suggestions? the mobile experience is lacking with this forum and i'm mostly using mobile while viewing this site...

OP
OP
administrator

administrator

Administrator
First Name
Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
great thread... is there one floating around here for the sedan? if so, it should be linked in the OP... just my suggestion since i'll be getting the sedan...
Yes, please see: 2016 Civic sedan vs. outgoing sedan comparison

OT: @Administrator is there a thread for forum suggestions? the mobile experience is lacking with this forum and i'm mostly using mobile while viewing this site...
Yes, please also see this thread in the feedback/suggestions forum: Switching between Desktop / Mobile versions for mobile phone users

CB22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In between cars
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic Coupe vs outgoing 9th Gen Coupe comparison 2016-civic-vs-2015-civic-6

This picture amazes me. What were they thinking with the proportions of the 9th gen?? That cab forward design is so awful, really looks like a proper appliance (sorry to offend any current owners). I'd really hate to be the guy trying to sell the 9th gen over the 10th. What would you say other than "it's cheaper" ?

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think what I really like is how honda worked a body kit into the standard body. The mirror off the door panel. Tapered back window and the flattened nose with the straight up and down H logo. Really the 2016 Civic coupe looks more like an Accord Coupe.

All in all I have studied in what way do I like the 9th better than a new 10th gen Civic? Not one thing but a Honda is still a Honda. Just because Honda was listening and stepped up their game. Doesnt mean our 9th gen Civics are not good cars. They are still wonderful. ;) Just the 10th gens are Awesome ! Also we are Honda fan boys. To most people Hondas are just that and if anything the New 10th gens will increase people wanting to own a Honda. So the people that cant afford a New car will gladly buy a 8th or 9th gen.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic Coupe vs outgoing 9th Gen Coupe comparison 2015-honda-accord-release-date

Last edited:

C Note

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic Coupe vs outgoing 9th Gen Coupe comparison 2015-honda-accord-release-date

This picture amazes me. What were they thinking with the proportions of the 9th gen?? That cab forward design is so awful, really looks like a proper appliance (sorry to offend any current owners). I'd really hate to be the guy trying to sell the 9th gen over the 10th. What would you say other than "it's cheaper" ?
My exact thought when I saw the side image. The 9th gen looks like it's melting and everything is sliding towards the front. Doesn't help that they made the rear quarter window so short which makes the whole cab look even more forward biased.

These images makes you realize how much they got just right with the CivicX coupe.

OP
OP
administrator

administrator

Administrator
First Name
Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
By my calculations the 2016 Coupe is not longer - rather it's shorter by 1.1" than the 2015 Coupe.
You're right. I used the Wikipedia listed length of 176.1 instead of the actual official 177.9 length. So the 2016 Coupe is 1.1 inches shorter than the 2015 model. First post updated.

PirelliPZero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EJ6, CBR
The new bodywork definitely is far more "substantial." That said, you can see what effect that has on the wheels. The 17" wheels look perfectly sized for the 9G, whereas the 17" wheels look too small on the 10G - despite the 10G actually being a smaller car overall. At the very least the 10G will require a more substantial wheel design to match (thin spokes won't cut it) - or a Plus One wheel diameter.

NIN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas 4 life
You're right. I used the Wikipedia listed length of 176.1 instead of the actual official 177.9 length. So the 2016 Coupe is 1.1 inches shorter than the 2015 model. First post updated.
The 1.1 in shorter length paired with the 2.9 in longer wheelbase really pushed the wheels out to the edges of the car and shortens the overhangs which were just too long on the 9th gen. The 2016 looks much more athletic because of this.

RSXer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 RSX
The new bodywork definitely is far more "substantial." That said, you can see what effect that has on the wheels. The 17" wheels look perfectly sized for the 9G, whereas the 17" wheels look too small on the 10G - despite the 10G actually being a smaller car overall. At the very least the 10G will require a more substantial wheel design to match (thin spokes won't cut it) - or a Plus One wheel diameter.
Exactly. The Civic X could looks like it's wearing a body kit already in stock form. The coupe will need 18 inch wheels to look proportionally good. Wonder if there will be 18" accessory wheels eventually. I think with the more substantial looking coupe and sedan bodies they need 18's, and also why the 17" accessory wheels haven't looked right on the car.

One things for sure - the 2016 Si Coupe should look very aggressive since the base model already looks like this.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag

I am totally on board with you on the cab forward design. "cab forward" was also used in the mid 90's on many of Mopar's new cars such as the LHS, Concord, etc. For me, all cab forward did was make the dash deeper and put damn engine nearly half way under the windshield cowl (more difficult to service).
In Honda's implementation of "cab forward" we ended up with a car that had a strange front door window arrangement, and that deeper dash seemed to cause Honda to go overboard with the whole 2 tier design.
For the Fit, I think that the "cab forward" implementation works VERY well. "cab forward" doesn't look so good on sedans and coupes, but it works well for the 5 door Fit.
Sponsored