Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
We are here at the 2015 Los Angeles auto show for the 2016 Civic Coupe's public debut and obtained some more photos, video and Q&A.

All questions from yesterday's unveiling has been included below for reference. Additional Q&A is in blue.

CivicX Q&A:

Q: What model is this?
A: This is the EX-L model.

Q: Dimensions of the coupe?
A: The coupe is 5.5 inches shorter than the sedan!! All of that came off the rear overhang. Front overhang and wheelbase are the same as the sedan. As a result, the front and rear overhang are the same length on the coupe. Trunk is bigger than previous generation.

Q: Released by end of year? If not how early next year?
A: Not by end of this year. First quarter of next year. [Update: We asked for clarification on the "first quarter 2016" statement and Honda confirmed that it is indeed going to be March. As it turned out, their press release offered more specificity than the reps were providing to the media attendees.]

Q: Different car at show tomorrow?
A: Same car tomorrow at the show.

Q: What technical differences than sedan?
A: Basically the same except what was in the presentation (see slides above).

Q: Manual available for turbo model?
A: That's in development just like for the sedan.

Q: More colors expected than sedan?
A: CivicX has confirmed that the green color seen on prototype will be available. Whether any additional ones will be available will be known at launch.

Q: Should we expect both Si coupe and sedan?
A: They are working on multiple Si variants is as specific as they could get.

Q: Is the spoiler standard?
A: This is an accessory wing spoiler and accessory wheels.

Q: Same exact performance as the sedan?
A: Virtually same performance. The car is lighter than the sedan due to shorter length so it will be lighter, which may result in some incremental performance benefit.

Q: Weight?
A: The coupe is lighter than both the 2016 sedan and a similarly-equipped outgoing 2015 Civic coupe.

Q: Wheel options?
A: Same wheels as the sedan for all models.

Q: What is the center exhaust pipe cutout on the coupe?
A: The bracket that contains the cutout is to give the car extra stiffness. The cutout is purely for weight savings and has no effect on sound.

Q: Torsional rigidity of the coupe compared to the sedan?
A: They are different [Honda would not yet disclose which is more rigid], but traditionally speaking, sedans tend to be stiffer.

Q: Are there suspension differences between the coupe and sedan?
A: Yes, the coupe's suspension will be tuned to be sportier, but they are not disclosing exactly what changes have been made.

Q: How much wider is the coupe?
A: It is 2-inches wider than the outgoing 2015 Civic coupe.

Q: Why are the exhaust tips hidden?
A: It is in keeping with Honda's green image.

Q: Is cargo space different?
A: Yes, the coupe's trunk is slightly bigger than the sedan.
Sponsored

Last edited:

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
Interesting.. surprised to hear the cutout on the exhaust pipe is for weight savings. How much could that have saved? I'm impressed they went to these lengths to make sure the car was as light as possible tho.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That cutout might have saved an 8th of a pound. Maybe. But in the game of fuel economy every additional gram matters.

The more i see it in that blue the more i love that color... was set on WOP, but might have to consider the aegean blue as well. I'll know for sure when i see it in WOP.

JustChexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Chevy Malibu
Q: Is cargo space different?
A: Yes, the coupe's trunk is slightly bigger than the sedan.
What magic is this? How can the coupe be 5.5 inches shorter than the sedan from the A-pillars back and yet have a larger trunk? Honda really does know how to work magic in terms of space-maximization.

(I'm also curious if the gas tank size is the same in the coupe as in the sedan)

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What magic is this? How can the coupe be 5.5 inches shorter than the sedan from the A-pillars back and yet have a larger trunk? Honda really does know how to work magic in terms of space-maximization.

(I'm also curious if the gas tank size is the same in the coupe as in the sedan)
I was mentioning this the other night, obviously this car is a portal to narnia, or is in fact a tardis (dr. who anyone?) The fact that its so much shorter (shorter than the 9th gen coupe as well) but offers so much more rear leg space than the previous, a bigger trunk than the sedan, etc. Honda does have some magically inclined engineers.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
I don't think that exhaust bracket is attached to the car itself, so it can't "give the car extra stiffness" as someone told you. Give the exhaust extra stiffness, sure.

civvie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
The coupe and Aegean Blue look even better here than in yesterday's studio. And nice look at how big and low the car is compared to people of different heights. The sedan was already low and wide and the coupe's 1" lower roof and same width makes it appear even wider.

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
Disappointed to see the all plastic rear deck. Hopefully they increased sound dampening on the deck. Having a sub in the trunk will rattle it to hell.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Absolutely beautiful! The blue is amazing. Sure it will be silence for a while now:cry:

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
I know... we probably won't hear jack until February on the coupe/hatch/anything...

Must say though if they did all these awesome things to the coupe it is going to handle like a beast. Cant wait to test drive an EXT coupe. So impressed by the EX sedan that the EXT coupe must feel like a 2015 SI coupe minus the manual of course. Everybody is talking like the SI needs to dominate the last SI in the HP sector, really feel like even if they use the 1.5 t with lets say 205 hp and 200 torque that car would be absolutely insane.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Must say though if they did all these awesome things to the coupe it is going to handle like a beast. Cant wait to test drive an EXT coupe. So impressed by the EX sedan that the EXT coupe must feel like a 2015 SI coupe minus the manual of course. Everybody is talking like the SI needs to dominate the last SI in the HP sector, really feel like even if they use the 1.5 t with lets say 205 hp and 200 torque that car would be absolutely insane.
I agree. The coupe is gonna be amazing. I'd say the ext coupe is more comparable to the 9th gen si but quieter and more efficient. But in terms of performance it's gonna be super close, even with the cvt.

I think the 1.5t in the si would work as well. The new platform and the added torque will do more good than people expect. Especially if Honda plans on moving the si to a more mainstream position in the lineup. Though fingers still crossed for a 2.0t and a dct option. Lol.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
I agree. The coupe is gonna be amazing. I'd say the ext coupe is more comparable to the 9th gen si but quieter and more efficient. But in terms of performance it's gonna be super close, even with the cvt.

I think the 1.5t in the si would work as well. The new platform and the added torque will do more good than people expect. Especially if Honda plans on moving the si to a more mainstream position in the lineup. Though fingers still crossed for a 2.0t and a dct option. Lol.

Ha believe me I want a 2.0t 8 dct sooo bad:spaz: But guess we have more waiting and speculating to do. So glad that the coupe looks so nice though. Was so scared by the leaked shots but this has guaranteed Honda a sale in 2016:thumbsup:

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ha believe me I want a 2.0t 8 dct sooo bad:spaz: But guess we have more waiting and speculating to do. So glad that the coupe looks so nice though. Was so scared by the leaked shots but this has guaranteed Honda a sale in 2016:thumbsup:
Same here, even i held my breath when that horrible spy shot leaked. That rear overhang looked so bad. Definitely a huge sigh of relief seeing it properly. We have plenty of speculating to do with the hatch, Si variants and CTR to come indeed. Whoever thought up this 18 month rollout should be shot dead. haha.

I'm not in the market to get a new car until my lease is up late summer of 2017 but they've already cemented my dedication to getting an EXT civic coupe. It's got the perfect blend of price, performance, features and style i want in the first car i'm looking to finance instead of lease.

I can recall being this excited when the 8th gen dropped while i was in high school. My 2007 coupe was my first new car (got it all on my own, no help from parents, my aunt did cosign though) and i was obsessed with that car, following every article and leaked picture that came about. I had none of that excitement for the 9th gen... even though i had both a 13 sedan and now a 14 coupe, they just never excited me at all, and i started to stray away from honda, looking into hyundai and kia instead. I was also considering an accord coupe. But this new civic renewed my inner fanboy and has restored my lost faith in honda as a fun car maker.
Sponsored