2016 Civic Brake Update

Opie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic Touring, Sienna
Country flag
Is there a place in the settings I can go and check to see if my 2016 Civic Touring ever got the software update regarding the parking brake issue? I still occasionally get a warning about the brakes that requires monkeying around with it, so trying to figure out if this update ever happened.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Yoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT
Country flag
I've had brake problems too and I didn't see a way to determine if it had the update using a scan tool.
I imagine I would have to either:
have Honda check the VIN for service records,
take it to the dealer and let them check it, or
find someone with the proper (and expensive) equipment to interrogate the ABS/VSA computer.

There is a youtube video where a guy from El Salvador shows how to update it. Not hard, but the interface box is expensive for a one-time use.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Opie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic Touring, Sienna
Country flag
Thx for response -- I found the 17-007 Honda Service Bulletin (05490 Version 1) from 1/27/17 -- if my Honda hasn't had this update yet should the dealer do it free?

Yoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT
Country flag
I'm wondering the same thing. AFAIK if it is out of warranty, you will pay unless you can convince Honda to do it for free or at a discount.

OP
OP

Opie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic Touring, Sienna
Country flag
My other question is that NHTSA Recall 16-090 was completed on this vehicle in November 2016 -- but I have the issues noted in the 17-007 TSB now -- are these the same update or different ones? It looks like the Part # is different (even though this is just a software update).

OP
OP

Opie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic Touring, Sienna
Country flag
My other question is that NHTSA Recall 16-090 was completed on this vehicle in November 2016 -- but I have the issues noted in the 17-007 TSB now -- are these the same update or different ones? It looks like the Part # is different (even though this is just a software update).
Just bumping in case anyone knows if the 16-090 and the 17-007 were different updates or identical.

Yoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT
Country flag
Looks like they are different software bugs with similar symptoms. The 17-007 bulletin has a newer software version than the older 16-090 bulletin. Now that our weather is getting nicer I may go to our local dealership to find out what they will do.

OP
OP

Opie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic Touring, Sienna
Country flag
Looks like they are different software bugs with similar symptoms. The 17-007 bulletin has a newer software version than the older 16-090 bulletin. Now that our weather is getting nicer I may go to our local dealership to find out what they will do.
I spoke with my dealer on the phone and they weren't sure they even had the 17-007 update. I am going to bring in all the documentation I have to prepare for what I expect will be a battle.
Sponsored