2016 Civic 1.5L Turbo Surges at Highway Speeds (45–70 MPH) S.B. #16-028

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
Mine clearly has this jerking/surging issue, but I just called Honda Corporate USA and was told there is no TSB for my car. They wanted my VIN, Name, Address, email, phone, mileage, proof of ownership, and a bunch of other crap just to give me this info... last time I called (regarding amp software that time), they just wanted the VIN.

I really, really hate this company. Time to go disconnect my battery again.
Sponsored

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine clearly has this jerking/surging issue, but I just called Honda Corporate USA and was told there is no TSB for my car. They wanted my VIN, Name, Address, email, phone, mileage, proof of ownership, and a bunch of other crap just to give me this info... last time I called (regarding amp software that time), they just wanted the VIN.

I really, really hate this company. Time to go disconnect my battery again.
I had to argue with this guy from corporate and my dealer to get it done. When i called the dealer they couldn't find it. And then I called corporate and I told him I found the tsb on a form he told me that I can't believe everything i find on the internet. He and the dealer also said there's no tsb for my car. so I went and started reading the whole tsb to him and gave him the tsb number and he put me on hold and came back 5 minutes later saying he found it. And then I called my dealer back and told them how livid I was about this car and that corporate found the tsb Just be firm and consistent with them and they will end up doing it for you.

Last edited:

x1cmb11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I bought a new EX-T last Friday with 9 miles on it. The surging started the second day at a little over 100 miles. I chalked it up to being a quirk of the car and didn't know it was an actual problem until I found this thread on Tuesday. After I read a little bit of the thread, I did notice that in my car, the surging also only happened in D and in D with ECO on, without and with cruise control, and went away when in Sport. I called the salesman I bought from and told him what was going on with my car and mentioned the update released that supposedly fixes the issue. He told me to bring it in the next day, Wednesday, and they would try the update, but he said the service guys wanted to look at it as well to see if anything else was going on. When I dropped of my car Wednesday, I was given another new Civic to drive in the meantime, expecting it to take into the afternoon to get mine fixed. I never got a call until Thursday (yesterday) around lunch asking me to go back to the dealership. When I got there, the mechanic told me he couldn't replicate the issue, and he wanted to ride with me to see what was going on. While we were out, he also mentioned that they tried to update my car regardless, and it showed that it was up to date. I knew this was because their systems weren't up to date, but didn't tell him that. When we got back, he asked if I would like for them to try again to do the update and see what happens. I said yes and he told me to come back in 2 hours. When I came back, the mechanic/tech I was dealing with was busy and I was met by a new guy who had not previously helped me in the front office. I gave him a printed out copy of the bulletin and explained the situation and he told me that he would investigate and it would probably take until tomorrow. I was kind of upset because I know that the update wasn't supposed to take long, but I was fine overall because I had another nice car to drive. I actually got a call later in the day from the original guy who helped me saying that it was ready to pick up and that they had to update their systems before they could update my car. I wasn't able to pick it up yesterday and had to wait until after I was done at the clinic today to get it. When signing the papers, I noticed it didn't say that they did an update, but it does say "checked for updates" then "followed all policies and procedures for the service bulletin." I was really happy to have my problem solved and finally have the update, but on my way home, I noticed that my car is still doing it. I haven't driven much since then as its only 10 miles from the dealership to my house, and I noticed that someone on this thread said it took them a while after the update for it to go away as well, so I'm about to go drive some more and see what happens. I hope that is the case with me as well. Anyway, sorry for the long post. I'm a terrible story teller, but this was my experience with everything.

x1cmb11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Update to my last post:

Went on the interstate and drove 30 miles away in hopes that the transmission did just need a few miles to reset. Unfortunately, the surging seems worse now. However now, and what I find really strange, is that prior to the update, the RPMs would correspond to the surging, but now, the RPMs, estimated MPG, and turbo gauge remain constant. Sport mode still smooths everything out and makes the car feel like it should, but as soon as I put it in D, it surges almost the whole time.

Honestly, it just feels like in D, regardless of speed, everything seems super in smooth and unsure. It's hard to describe, but I can feel it when I'm driving. I always feel like I'm going much slower than I actually vs sport mode at the same speed. I know the RPMs are obviously higher in sport mode, but it's more than that.

I have no idea what's going on. I hate that I've literally had this car a week and this is happening. I don't know why the update would fix the issue on the gauges but not in the actual driving experience. If any of you guys know anything, advice/help would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to try the battery reset when I get home and see how that goes.

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On the way home I noticed my car is still surging. But I don't feel it anymore I just see the needle going up and down. Maybe they didn't even update it and just said they did. Seems better but I thought it would fix it 100 percent. Unless it still needs some more time.

I dont know I feel like giving up with this car.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Just called my dealer and I am taking my ex-t in tomorrow afternoon. Thanks to all the Canadians for the help!
Well I just got home from the dealership. Was a bit of a disappointing experience.. Started off by telling them that the update should be available now, so they look it up on they're Honda website and it wasn't there. So they bring it in the shop, hook it up and find the update, great! Try and apply it and they're machine ends up skipping something and the car refuses to take the update.. So they call Honda corporate and diagnose that it is they're scanner that has an issue. So they are calling back Monday to figure it out, so hopefully I'll get my car fixed sometime next week :banghead:

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Update to my last post:

Went on the interstate and drove 30 miles away in hopes that the transmission did just need a few miles to reset. Unfortunately, the surging seems worse now. However now, and what I find really strange, is that prior to the update, the RPMs would correspond to the surging, but now, the RPMs, estimated MPG, and turbo gauge remain constant. Sport mode still smooths everything out and makes the car feel like it should, but as soon as I put it in D, it surges almost the whole time.

Honestly, it just feels like in D, regardless of speed, everything seems super in smooth and unsure. It's hard to describe, but I can feel it when I'm driving. I always feel like I'm going much slower than I actually vs sport mode at the same speed. I know the RPMs are obviously higher in sport mode, but it's more than that.

I have no idea what's going on. I hate that I've literally had this car a week and this is happening. I don't know why the update would fix the issue on the gauges but not in the actual driving experience. If any of you guys know anything, advice/help would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to try the battery reset when I get home and see how that goes.
If the update really happened, you would notice. I have no way of knowing, but perhaps the car didn't take the update (or they couldn't make it work because their hardware is not up-to-date). You need to replicate it with a technician in the car (and don't let them tell you "it's normal").

x1cmb11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
If the update really happened, you would notice. I have no way of knowing, but perhaps the car didn't take the update (or they couldn't make it work because their hardware is not up-to-date). You need to replicate it with a technician in the car (and don't let them tell you "it's normal")
I did have the guy working on my care ride with me because he couldn't replicate the issue when he drove it. He noticed it and acknowledged that it wasn't normal. The first time they tried to update it, it said it was up to date. I knew that wasn't the case and brought them a printed out copy of the TSB, which they took and I left. They called me later saying sorry for the wait, they had to update their systems before they could apply my update. Today when I picked it up, besides the physical surging being worse, the difference is a noticeable lack of RPM fluctuation in conjunction with the surges. Previously, the RPMs were correlated to the surges exactly, but now there is zero RPM fluctuation along with the surging. I don't know how they could have done that without doing something.

But honestly, PS3, I kind of have the same thought. I have no idea why my car would continue to do it after the update unless its another issue, which to me is worse since I bought the car a week ago today and haven't put 500 miles on it. The way they documented it seemed weird to me as well. It doesn't say they installed an update, it just says that they "checked for updates" and "followed all policies and procedures for the service bulletin." It also said "C/S that the tach bounces when driving a constant speed. Does it with cruise as well but stops in sport mode." They only said I mentioned the tach and not the physical surging of the car, despite the actual surging being my main complaint going in. Since my tach is no longer bouncing, I almost feel as if they somehow managed to fix only that, but I don't think that is possible. I don't know. It just seems really weird. I feel like I should go back, but I don't really know what steps to take at this point.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Today when I picked it up, besides the physical surging being worse, the difference is a noticeable lack of RPM fluctuation in conjunction with the surges. Previously, the RPMs were correlated to the surges exactly, but now there is zero RPM fluctuation along with the surging. I don't know how they could have done that without doing something.
This is how my ex-t has surged since 3500km until now @ 8100km, Rpms maybe fluctuate 50 rpm but it feels like it's "bucking" or slipping even, like something in coming disengaged. Also, when I come to a hard stop the cvt gives a hard "buck" or shake around 5km/h

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
This is how my ex-t has surged since 3500km until now @ 8100km, Rpms maybe fluctuate 50 rpm but it feels like it's "bucking" or slipping even, like something in coming disengaged. Also, when I come to a hard stop the cvt gives a hard "buck" or shake around 5km/h
Once they apply the update next week, it should resolve the problem of slipping with the RPM fluctuation at higher speeds (it did for me). I'm not sure about the hard buck when stopping - I haven't experience that.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
I have my appt. for this this coming Friday. I'm already concerned, as when I just made the apt. the head mechanic stated that "We've already done 6 of these and NONE of them have actually needed the update, so there isn't anything we can do but check... but none of them have needed it so far as they've already had the current software." I specifically pointed out that THEIR system needed updated for it to show, but at this point, I have no faith whatsoever. My car was made in November. There's no chance in hell it "already has the current software."

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I have my appt. for this this coming Friday. I'm already concerned, as when I just made the apt. the head mechanic stated that "We've already done 6 of these and NONE of them have actually needed the update, so there isn't anything we can do but check... but none of them have needed it so far as they've already had the current software." I specifically pointed out that THEIR system needed updated for it to show, but at this point, I have no faith whatsoever. My car was made in November. There's no chance in hell it "already has the current software."
If was made in November, then it definitely does NOT have the surging update. As you said, THEIR diagnostic system must be up-to-date for it to work properly.

x1cmb11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Today, the surging went back down to pre-bringing my car in levels of intensity and it has regained the involvement of the tach. Even though the dealership told me that they updated their systems and updated my car, should I bring it back in and just ask them to try again?

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Today, the surging went back down to pre-bringing my car in levels of intensity and it has regained the involvement of the tach. Even though the dealership told me that they updated their systems and updated my car, should I bring it back in and just ask them to try again?
It doesn't sound like it was really updated (or else there are other issues). If it were me, I'd take it back in unless you can live with it until your next scheduled service (and get it taken care of then when all of their diagnostic systems have hopefully been updated).

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T, 2000 Honda Insight
Vehicle Showcase
So a little update with me. I took it in on Friday, along with my little brother, and my friend (both of which are very fit gentlemen), and after threatening to knock someone the fuck out if they didn't listen to me, I FINALLY got them to fucking listen, and sure enough, they found the update. I didn't drive it from Friday until today(got the update done on Friday, btw), and holy shit, I lost 7MPG!! I normally get 48-55 going out of town to the freeway, and I only got 42! Going TO work I normally achieve 53-58 depending on traffic and weather conditions, but I only got 46.1! This is the WORST mpg I have ever gotten in this car, and the RPM's seem to stay way higher up on the freeway now that before. In the past, I would cruise 1900-2000rpm at 70, now it sits at about 2400rpm. It's absolutely infuriating. I really, really hope it 'learns' and goes back to my previous MPG, or I'll never drive the car again. I can't swallow getting less than 40. I'll update again when I go home from work. Normal MPG going home (+3,000ft elevation gain) is 40.5-42.3, so I'll see if it gets effected on that trip as well.

[EDIT]: earlier that morning, my little bro and I took a trip from the house, down to L.A and back, stopping at the dealer on our way back (170 miles total traveled at that point) all at 70mph CC set, with a major road rage incident that required lots of boost use, and I achieved 46.1mpg when I rolled up to the dealer. Not to mention, I had to deal with 210E/W traffic, and for you L.A goers, you know how bad that is.
Sponsored