2016 Civic 1.5L Turbo Surges at Highway Speeds (45–70 MPH) S.B. #16-028

Rocandroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic HB Sport 6 speed
So do we know that it only affects cvts? Does the fix address something with the drivetrain? There are so few manual transmissions on the road on wondering if it's just not been discovered. I see the service bulletin is strictly for CVT models but does that mean there's no possibility it could also affect the manuals and just not have been identified.
Sponsored

Rocandroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The sensation of crosswinds and having to give complete undivided attention order to stay in lane is unnerving. On a flat straight the car tracks well and does not seem to have an alignment problem. But it's the sensation of being blown around the road constantly making small adjustments when one's hand is on the Wheel, both to the right and to the left because of pulling sensation. Sucks. Will take a similar vehicle for a test ride to see if it's inherit or if it's in my mind. But after owning many many cars I've never had this kind of a problem or experience. Any input is appreciated.

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
The sensation of crosswinds and having to give complete undivided attention order to stay in lane is unnerving. On a flat straight the car tracks well and does not seem to have an alignment problem. But it's the sensation of being blown around the road constantly making small adjustments when one's hand is on the Wheel, both to the right and to the left because of pulling sensation. Sucks. Will take a similar vehicle for a test ride to see if it's inherit or if it's in my mind. But after owning many many cars I've never had this kind of a problem or experience. Any input is appreciated.
This is going super fast though, right? And not like 40-60 mph.

Rocandroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I drive a Ford Escape for work which has a much higher stance in handles way better at speed then the Civic

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
27 thousand miles into my 2016 Civic Sedan (1.5T CVT), I've never felt the car being pulled around. I feel complete control and great handling even in wind

Something must be wrong with your particular vehicle. Who knows?

Rocandroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
27 thousand miles into my 2016 Civic Sedan (1.5T CVT), I've never felt the car being pulled around. I feel complete control and great handling even in wind

Rocandroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, right. But a mystery at this point. Really hoping when I test drive a similar vehicle with my service rep I'll be able to feel a difference... Problem then will be finding a fix for mine. If anyone else wants to chime in please feel free to do so. Any input is appreciated.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag

get an alignment printout and ask them to add max caster, also if uneven caster it can cause this

andre12dbsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan / 2017 Acura MDX Navi SH-AWD
Yes. Turbo models. Although not everyone seems to be experiencing it.
The Canadian bulletin number is A-6-16 in case any of the Canadian service depts can't find it. Our Civic has the surging issue. Hopefully the update will fix it.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Issue could be the tires or tire pressure - too low or too high. Read up on your tire brand/style on-line for your model and see if others have similar comments.
There is a slight possibility that you could have alignment or suspension, especially rear, issues. Your dealer would be the best place to have checked.

BobM_Jr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag

I'm with you, I'm having no problems. I drive 70 miles round trip to work 5 or 6 days a week mostly at 60 mph on country roads. Made several multi-state road trips of 1000+ miles on the freeway doing 70-80 mph for long stretches of time. Currently just turned 38,000 miles after 17 months of ownership. This is the best handling, best driving car I've ever owned in my 40 years of driving (yes, I'm old).

Rocandroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Issue could be the tires or tire pressure - too low or too high. Read up on your tire brand/style on-line for your model and see if others have similar comments.
There is a slight possibility that you could have alignment or suspension, especially rear, issues. Your dealer would be the best place to have checked.
Tire pressure has always been spot on and they are the all season Conti's from the factory that Honda speced for this model. Glad to hear others are satisfied, gives me hope there's a solution

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
Tire pressure has always been spot on and they are the all season Conti's from the factory that Honda speced for this model. Glad to hear others are satisfied, gives me hope there's a solution
I got the HAngook Kinergy GT 215-55-16 and after a month plus, not even a peep from the TPMS and they really let loose around corners, if that is good or bad, no clue but for normal spirited driving, they're just alright and prob not as good as the Contis.

rickms80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I had a ride-a-long but of course the car wouldn't misbehave. I finally convinced my local dealership to apply the updates. I practically had to beg. My car was an early build with older software so they had to apply updates to both the PCM and TCM. After the updates she's smooth as butter on the Interstate and I dare say performs even better. Roadways with 65-70 MPH zones is where I was having the issues and I nearly dreaded them. I'm one happy camper now.
Sponsored