2016 Civic 1.5L Turbo Surges at Highway Speeds (45–70 MPH) S.B. #16-028

rickms80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
My local dealership flat out told me they wouldn't perform the TSB because they weren't able to reproduce the problem.
Sponsored

chrisliese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic exl-t, 2002 Honda s2000 turbo, 2016 Honda Odyssey
My local dealership flat out told me they wouldn't perform the TSB because they weren't able to reproduce the problem.
Call Honda Corp and ask for the regional manager for your area. Or try another dealer. Print out the bulletin and if need take them for a test drive with you behind the wheel.
Took three trips to two different dealer before they finally performed the update.

ApolloOKC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC EX-L 2016 w/SENSING
I need your input...I tried all the local dealers in OK and nobody is willing to perform the update. They don't care if the service bulletin states "VIN RANGE: ALL" or what it's mentioned in Honda forums. They checked my VIN and they said that the only update that they will perform is 16-090. Which is my next step? Is there a specific number in Honda that I can report this problem?

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I need your input...I tried all the local dealers in OK and nobody is willing to perform the update. They don't care if the service bulletin states "VIN RANGE: ALL" or what it's mentioned in Honda forums. They checked my VIN and they said that the only update that they will perform is 16-090. Which is my next step? Is there a specific number in Honda that I can report this problem?
Do you have an early 2016 model? Built October 2015 thru Jan 2016? I believe only those are affected.

Just go to a different dealer till they do it. My dealer hesitated but I told him I drive on the highway mostly and it is such an annoying issue. They fixed it and I've never seen the issue again

kenji.i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan Touring Lunar Silver Metallic
Country flag
My Civic Sedan Touring was built in Mar 2016 and I purchased it early Apr 2016. I have been feeling RPM surge from 6 month ago. It goes up and down about 50 to 100 rpm around 2,100 to 2,300 rpm. That is 65 - 70 mph which is cruising speed in freeway. When it happens, I feel car moves back and forth a little which is uncomfortable. But it’s subtle and I am not confident it it’s a problem. Thanks this forum. I found it in this thread and got confident it’s really problem.

I printed out TSB 16-028 and brought it to my dealer this Tuesday. Service assistant recommended to do road test with their technician. I was wondering if I can reproduce the problem. But he kindly recognized the problem and performed software update.

I picked my car up next day. RPM surge has gone and the car is very smooth, especially lower speed like 30 - 45 mph. As someone already said it’s like floating and different car. I really recommend everyone who has applicable model to apply it.

According to this link (16-028 - 2016 Civic 1.5L Turbo RPM Surges at Highway Speeds (45–70 MPH)), TSB was updated on Mar/1st and now version 2. Does anyone know what is difference between version 1 and 2?

Last edited:

klm57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord, 2015 Chevy Equinox
I was the first person that started another thread reporting this problem. I think it would be hard for someone that doesn't spend some time in the car to notice it. It drove me crazy before the fix came out. That said when the fix came out I took my car into the dealer and no questions asked they performed the update. Been smooth ever since. If the dealer wouldn't do it I would have called Honda and complained about the problem and that theirs a fix for it that the dealer refuses to preform. I think they could help get it done for you.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It figures they would release a version 2 shortly after I had mine done (fall)

No idea why they revised it.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag

bFarish87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I had it real bad just driving down city main roads. Took it to my local dealer, Ed Voyles Honda and they performed both updates as well as the recall parking brake thing and it's been fine ever since. I'd recommend a better dealer. What a life saver though as I dealt with the surging for a few months and it was driving me absolutely insane.

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
I had it real bad just driving down city main roads. Took it to my local dealer, Ed Voyles Honda and they performed both updates as well as the recall parking brake thing and it's been fine ever since. I'd recommend a better dealer. What a life saver though as I dealt with the surging for a few months and it was driving me absolutely insane.
Since the update were already applied from factory, I will second whoever said this car just floats at low speeds that it begs you to drive slow cause of the floating feeling, almost like you are the ship in a video game Defender or any 80s video game and you push the Thrust button when you want turbo to kick in! Very surreal and extremely visceral, driving this thing. Anyone?

Btw, I avoided all this surging and TSB by making sure my Born On Date for the Civic was May 25, 2017. Wait more then a year and a half after a new model is introduced and miracles happen, people..MIRACLE(s)!! I did it unwittingly but still, rules are rules.

Am I a silent yet quasi bad a$$ or wut.

Last edited:

Rocandroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic HB Sport 6 speed
Since the update were already applied from factory, I will second whoever said this car just floats at low speeds that it begs you to drive slow cause of the floating feeling, almost like you are the ship in a video game Defender or any 80s video game and you push the Thrust button when you want turbo to kick in! Very surreal and extremely visceral, driving this thing. Anyone?

Btw, I avoided all this surging and TSB by making sure my Born On Date for the Civic was May 25, 2017. Wait more then a year and a half after a new model is introduced and miracles happen, people..MIRACLE(s)!! I did it unwittingly but still, rules are rules.

Am I a silent yet quasi bad a$$ or wut.
I hate driving this thing on the freeway. 2017 Civic hatchback sport manual. Build date probably April 17 but would have to check. Like I'm on ice skates at anything much over 60 miles an hour or like they're really strong Crosswinds when there are none. But I don't notice that there is surge or RPM change. Anyone else have this floating at speed sensation and not notice the RPM change?

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I hate driving this thing on the freeway. 2017 Civic hatchback sport manual. Build date probably April 17 but would have to check. Like I'm on ice skates at anything much over 60 miles an hour or like they're really strong Crosswinds when there are none. But I don't notice that there is surge or RPM change. Anyone else have this floating at speed sensation and not notice the RPM change?
This issue has nothing to do with Manual shift models. This is strictly CVT 1.5 Turbo issue, and a software patch fixes it permanently