2016 Civic 1.5L Turbo Surges at Highway Speeds (45–70 MPH) S.B. #16-028

touring420

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 WOP Touring.. 2003 Civic DX (for sale btw)
Country flag
Well I have just over 24k on mine and just noticed the surge this morning.. Going in for a oil change tomorrow morning and will discuss with the service manager.
Sponsored

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Well I have just over 24k on mine and just noticed the surge this morning.. Going in for a oil change tomorrow morning and will discuss with the service manager.
Just had mine done at 16k. They knew about it and applied the update. It takes a while so bring a book or tablet!

chrisliese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic exl-t, 2002 Honda s2000 turbo, 2016 Honda Odyssey
I supposedly had the update done and now have driven a few thousand miles since.
The surge before the "update" occurred between 40-70mph as stated in the TSB.
Now the surge runs from 70-90mph. The worst is at 78-82. Set the cruise control and it surges.
Seems like they just push the problem up to the next set of gears or whatever. Dicks!
Anyone else?

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had mine done like 15k ago and across all speeds I haven't felt it since the update.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I supposedly had the update done and now have driven a few thousand miles since.
The surge before the "update" occurred between 40-70mph as stated in the TSB.
Now the surge runs from 70-90mph. The worst is at 78-82. Set the cruise control and it surges.
Seems like they just push the problem up to the next set of gears or whatever. Dicks!
Anyone else?
Do a battery reset. Its possible they did not reset properly after update.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Or the dealer didn't do the update (correctly). Early on several posters noted that the update software had not be downloaded to the dealership's machine and when they 'tried" to do the update, none was available so the dealer either assumed it was done or never noticed and returned the car not updated - and if the battery was disconnected, the old code "lost its mind" and forgot its bad manners for about 500-1,000 miles until it relearned how to be bad!

chrisliese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic exl-t, 2002 Honda s2000 turbo, 2016 Honda Odyssey
Do a battery reset. Its possible they did not reset properly after update.
I did when I was installing my HID headlights. I bet they did not do the update. Same dealer that left my oil drain plug loose causing it to back out two days after the oil change.....oil belongs inside the engine.
Going to different dealer. Will check again.
Hoping it still needs the update and that the injen short ram is not causing the issue. I can't imagine that it is the intake as the surging a CVT issue.

Thanks all for the comments. I print and take with me to show the service manager I am not crazy. lol

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I did when I was installing my HID headlights. I bet they did not do the update. Same dealer that left my oil drain plug loose causing it to back out two days after the oil change.....oil belongs inside the engine.
Going to different dealer. Will check again.
Hoping it still needs the update and that the injen short ram is not causing the issue. I can't imagine that it is the intake as the surging a CVT issue.

Thanks all for the comments. I print and take with me to show the service manager I am not crazy. lol
Good luck. Stay firm. It took a while for the service manager to find the update on the system. He had never heard of the issue, and didn't know there was a service bulletin. And I asked for a senior tech to do the update.

Reyescivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic, 15 Accord, 90 Wagovan
Vehicle Showcase
I called my two close by Honda dealerships here in central CA an they both wanted to charge me 130 to do a diagnostic on it I even printed out the service bulletin from the first page and they said they don't go off what forums say only what Honda sends them so now I'm shit out off luck cus I'm not gunna pay the 130 an they don't want to do the update with out them doing a diagnostic

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I called my two close by Honda dealerships here in central CA an they both wanted to charge me 130 to do a diagnostic on it I even printed out the service bulletin from the first page and they said they don't go off what forums say only what Honda sends them so now I'm shit out off luck cus I'm not gunna pay the 130 an they don't want to do the update with out them doing a diagnostic
Wow that is brutal. Did you buy the car from one of these dealerships?

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
This is not a "forum issue", we just happen to "crown source" what's happening to our cars. Time to get the big boys involved.
Ask the dealer to document the $130 charge to "look at" the customer reported issue (as per the TSB), then call the 800 number and report them.