2016 Civic 1.5L Turbo Surges at Highway Speeds (45–70 MPH) S.B. #16-028

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I've had my Touring for about 3 days now and while I don't feel any surge, should I bring my car in? What should I tell the dealer? Thanks!
It's entirely likely that some variation of this fix got cut in to production sometime between Early March when this bulletin was released and when your car was produced. Do you know its production month? (It's on a label on the driver's door jamb.)
Sponsored

Daniel776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Now I'm feeling paranoid .. like maybe I should take it in lol .. But my dealer is usually soo useless lol

NicoleBcourt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Touring
Country flag
How do I know if its a problem? I dont even know what im looking for lol

dannys1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2016
Country flag
According to the date it doesn't come out until tomorrow and the HDS software version has not been released to the dealerships yet, it might be tomorrow since the bulletin will be out.

123.jpg

1234.jpg

676.jpg
I have the same issue with my canadian civic touring 2016 , went to my dealer and told them the problem. i was one of the first to complaint about this so i showed them this service bulletin and they told me" Oh this is for Honda USA" i cannot upgrade your software before we actually have Honda Canada approbation since your the first to have this issue here" he told me also that most of the service bulletin comes available for dealership in the US before Canada , but the guy was cool with me and checked direclty with Honda USA and he gave me an appointment next monday to upgrade the TCM :) , he also thanked me for showing this service bulletin that you posted As they were not able to see it in the system. Hope the problem will be fix !

dannys1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2016
Country flag
How do I know if its a problem? I dont even know what im looking for lol
its pretty obvious , put it in cruise control on flat highway at 60-70 mph or 90-110kmh and you will see the rpm move up and down pretty frequently and you can notice the gas consumption meter go right and left and so on. You can also feel the car accelerating and stoping very frequently

BobM_Jr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Oddly enough this surging problem did not show up in my Civic until I was over 10,000 miles. Took the car to the dealer, told them the service bulletin number and they updated the software. Problem gone. Thanks to people here and other threads about this problem, it saved me a lot of headaches.

sngx1275

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Civic LX, 2016 Civic EXT
Country flag
I posted on this (#453) earlier. I haven't noticed it as much recently because they re-paved the interstate section I drive to and from work and haven't repainted lines yet, so for the past month+ I don't utilize the sensing package and cruise. So I'm not sure if when I do use cruise its better, or if its just some human factors thing. However, I'm still somewhat concerned about is there any thoughts or data (probably not data) on whether this is harmful to the engine long term. Seems doubtful, but I just wanted to ask.

chrisliese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic exl-t, 2002 Honda s2000 turbo, 2016 Honda Odyssey
Had the update. Still feel it a tiny bit, but much better. There will always be a bit in that threshold of vacuum and boost.

Artee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T;
Country flag
Surge was noticeable but not terribly annoying, so, as did others, I waited until the car went in to the dealer for the first oil change to ask for this reflash. Took a copy of the TSB (16-028) along, thankfully, as the service writer did not seem to comprehend what I was describing to her, even after I showed her the TSB. Oddly, the service writer insisted that since this was not a recall problem they had to have a tech ride along with me to confirm the existence of the "problem" (also said it would be at least an hour before one would be available). Would not take my word for it. I asked for the service manager who took one look at the TSB and acknowledged the issue and said they would reflash, no ride along necessary. So, word to the wise, take alone a copy of the TSB (available on another post in this forum) as the aptitude of service writers varies considerably. After the reflash the car was noticeably smoother and seemed a bit more responsive at speed.

eXultanCe

eXult
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
I honestly have not felt it in my car (haven't really tested doing a cruise control test like some suggested). I purchased my car beginning of August. Would you guys recommend I take it in just to get the update done? Some are saying they get better acceleration post update?

drbh3131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
I honestly have not felt it in my car (haven't really tested doing a cruise control test like some suggested). I purchased my car beginning of August. Would you guys recommend I take it in just to get the update done? Some are saying they get better acceleration post update?
New to the forums as of Saturday. My son just bought a new 2016 civic LX non turbo 2 weeks ago. We decided to road trip this last weekend and on the way home cruising at about 70 mph the rpms revved from 2000 to 4000 for several miles. Decided I better get off the freeway and take a look. 920 miles on the car. As I got off the freeway I had throttle but no drive train. Ended up having to push the car into the station. Is this the same issue as with the turbo??? Flashing lights for braking system, check engine, and anti slip. Had to have it towed to a nearby dealership and still waiting to hear the diagnosis. Any help would be appreciated.
Ps I have a video of the dash but not sure how to add that to the post.

Last edited:

BobM_Jr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
No this is not the same problem. Sounds like you may have had a transmission failure??? The problem discussed here is engine RPM surging about 50-100 RPM at steady highway speed (>50 MPH).

New to the forums as of Saturday. My son just bought a new 2016 civic LX non turbo 2 weeks ago. We decided to road trip this last weekend and on the way home cruising at about 70 mph the rpms revved from 2000 to 4000 for several miles. Decided I better get off the freeway and take a look. 920 miles on the car. As I got off the freeway I had throttle but no drive train. Ended up having to push the car into the station. Is this the same issue as with the turbo??? Flashing lights for braking system, check engine, and anti slip. Had to have it towed to a nearby dealership and still waiting to hear the diagnosis. Any help would be appreciated.
Ps I have a video of the dash but not sure how to add that to the post.
Sponsored