Shtumpa

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Hi! My 2016 Civic A/C went out last year due to a leak in the compressor. My A/C went out again just short of a year later and now I am told that there is a leak in the condenser (which is covered under the new 10 yr warranty), and also a leak in the evaporator (no longer under warranty).
I know that there are many issues with the compressor and condenser, but has any one had issues with the evaporator? I am wondering if the other two issues caused the evaporator to leak. My car is just out of warranty so of course Honda is currently not willing to cover the problem.
I am not looking forward to my A/C going out annually.
It sounds like I’d be just as well off adding refrigerant myself every few months/year (unless it leeks out in weeks?) I’m gonna try that. It’s expensive though...but worth it if it lasts half a year.
Sponsored

SpringRubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport, CVT, White
Country flag
2018 hatch here and it was blowing warm -- dealer replaced a leaking compressor as I was still under warranty.

MikeWCivicLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a similar sequence of events. In 2019 my 2026 Civic's AC went out. I took it to the dealer and they diagnosed a compressor issue and they replaced that. Since the car was just out of warranty (and they were probably already becoming aware of the widespread issues) they only charged me a "deductable" of $100. This month it went out again, and this time they replaced the condenser, entirely under warranty. Although I can't say I've been treated badly, I wish they could have gotten it right the first time and I'm wondering if I should try and get the $100 back from last year's repair.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
It sounds like I’d be just as well off adding refrigerant myself every few months/year (unless it leeks out in weeks?) I’m gonna try that. It’s expensive though...but worth it if it lasts half a year.
This actually might be only the way to go after the warranty expires for good. Do they even have defect-free parts now? I doubt it. If the system works at least through one season until the refrigerant leaks out, I would rather recharge it every year than take to the dealer for days who will keep replacing junk parts with the same junk.

Shtumpa

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
This actually might be only the way to go after the warranty expires for good. Do they even have defect-free parts now? I doubt it. If the system works at least through one season until the refrigerant leaks out, I would rather recharge it every year than take to the dealer for days who will keep replacing junk parts with the same junk.
I just filled it Saturday and its working great let's see if it lasts the summer

redmarco79

First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
Hello fellow Civic owners.

A few weeks ago I had noticed by car was blowing hot air out of the drivers side A/C. I had taken it to the dealership last week and they said my A/C Compressor had a leak, it's a common issue with this make and model year and that repairs would be covered under warranty- however my service rep told me that the parts for this fix aren't available and there's no ETA as to when they will be able to get them. Is this normal? My car has about 28k miles so I'm worried about this fix taking an extended period of time, going over the 30k and having them try to tell me it's not covered any more. Has anybody had an experience like this? Thankfully it's been cool this week and I haven't needed the A/C blowing to be able to drive the car, but with June around the corner I could see my black interior being unbearable with no working A/C. I'm in Northern California.
Had the same thing happen to me. Car is at 69k miles though. Just seems like an odd part to fall apart, and they are quoting me 1300$!!! I understand wear and tear, but wow. Did they use cheap materials!?

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Mines “rock damage” so they won’t cover it but at least it’s $850. I’ll be filing with my insurance later

bitse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX HS
Country flag
Couple of days back my Civic 2016 EX had same issue and went to Honda. They checked and confirmed bad compressor. Unfortunately my Honda Warranty expired. Today got a call and confirm they are gonna cover under my extended insurance coverage (Fidelity Protection for additional 3yrs after manufacturer warrant expires ) $1900 insurance and 100$ delectable. ETA 1 week due to parts unavailability, Got Loaner as Honda Accord.

Waiting to get fixed

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would not go to the dealer for replacement when out of warranty. You can probably get it way cheaper from a shop that specializes in auto AC work.

TuthDrJSA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-L
Country flag
I just took my 2016 Civic EX-L Coupe in. 34,000 miles. Compressor, coil etc was replaced under warranty last June. I had purchased an extended warranty when I purchased the car just before the lease expired, shortly before the AC went out the first time. I'm waiting for a report, but if its the compressor again, Honda will cover it anything else the extended warranty will. It's disappointing that this is occurring, but damn I am glad I got that warranty

TuthDrJSA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-L
Country flag
update, it was the condenser this time. My bad, condenser is the extended warranty item so it was covered. Dealer had it finished in half a day. I am still grateful I have that extended warranty

bitse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX HS
Country flag
I would not go to the dealer for replacement when out of warranty. You can probably get it way cheaper from a shop that specializes in auto AC work.
since i had extended warranty they fixed with 100$ deductible.

Compressor, Clutch Set, Coil Set, O-Ring, Freon - changed as a part of this fix

Found Sign of oil leaking from front of compressor.

Obwonkanobe

First Name
Garland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring 2dr. Coupe
Country flag
Hi there. Came across this thread via google. I have a 2016 Civic LX and I noticed this year the AC was not working. I took my car into the dealer today to have looked at and they say that the compressor seals are leaking and it would be $1375. Unfortunately for me only the AC condenser, not compressor, is covered under the special AC 10 year extended warranty. After I said this seems to be a common issue they “spoke to the factory rep who happened to be there” and the price magically came down to $250.

I am scheduled to go back in next week to have the compressor replaced for $250. Have folks been able to get this repair covered 100% when outside of the new vehicle warranty? My car was purchased December 2015 and has 60,000 miles on it. Would that require a call to Honda corporate? I figure since they were able to drop the price 80% with minimal pushing, that it is likely I can do better.

I also see that there either is or is going to be a class action lawsuit over this part.
Glad I saw your post; My 2016 Honda Civic Touring with 63,336 miles was diagnosed by dealership with a leaking compressor & little more than $1,800 quote for repairs; I have no extended warranty & have already ordered an new aftermarket compressor, dryer & expansion valve for $255 on EBay; I’m not looking forward to doing this myself but $1,800 seems unreasonably high. I forwarded your post to the dealership; it seems as though all customers should be treated the same, maybe that’s in a perfect world. I’ll be working on Honda America also. We’ll see what happens; I might be looking for that Class Action Suit that you mentioned.

jhaze84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Glad I saw your post; My 2016 Honda Civic Touring with 63,336 miles was diagnosed by dealership with a leaking compressor & little more than $1,800 quote for repairs; I have no extended warranty & have already ordered an new aftermarket compressor, dryer & expansion valve for $255 on EBay; I’m not looking forward to doing this myself but $1,800 seems unreasonably high. I forwarded your post to the dealership; it seems as though all customers should be treated the same, maybe that’s in a perfect world. I’ll be working on Honda America also. We’ll see what happens; I might be looking for that Class Action Suit that you mentioned.
I also had a bad compressor out of warranty and paid to get it replaced. Total after tax was just under $1900. Very expensive, but was cheaper of the 2 dealer quotes I got (the other was $2200). I also checked with an independent mechanic who wouldn't give me a quote. He didn't want to touch it because of the class action lawsuits.

I tried to get the dealers to cover the repair or reduce the cost of the repair with no luck. I am going to contact Honda expressing my dissatisfaction. Hopefully the class action lawsuits result in Honda having to reimburse folks for fixing the compressors, like they already are doing with the condensers.

warsaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civicx
Country flag
I also had a bad compressor out of warranty and paid to get it replaced. Total after tax was just under $1900. Very expensive, but was cheaper of the 2 dealer quotes I got (the other was $2200). I also checked with an independent mechanic who wouldn't give me a quote. He didn't want to touch it because of the class action lawsuits.

I tried to get the dealers to cover the repair or reduce the cost of the repair with no luck. I am going to contact Honda expressing my dissatisfaction. Hopefully the class action lawsuits result in Honda having to reimburse folks for fixing the compressors, like they already are doing with the condensers.
All this talk about class action on the compressors...anyone have an actual link to some info?
Sponsored